Map bigger than 480x480

FannyShaver

Reaction score
I just wonder, have someone fould a way to make map bigger? Just wondering about that.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Even if it were, I would advise against it. Such maps get horribly large in terms of file size when they get bigger. It may easily get to be unhostable on Battlenet depending on what you add to it. All things considered, I would consider it a bad idea to try.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
as far as i know, and i am pretty sure, its impossible. 480x480 is the very limit of map size.

meOme

Reaction score
Someone told me 480*480 is hardcoded into Warcraft, that's why there's no Custom Editor that enables a bigger file size.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If newgen can break it, we can break it again.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> If newgen can break it, we can break it again.
If newgen can break it, don't you think it'd break it all the way?

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because that`s as far as they could break the limit? Maybe, if someone cared to, they could create a hack that would completely destroy the limit, by going into the very C++ that creates the game.

meOme

Reaction score
I know what you mean, and there's no reason why it shouldn't be possible to further exceed the limit by reprogramming the game itself.
But do you think a map created like that would be playable by players without a hacked game version? Because a 1000*1000 map, that can only be played on your computer and nowhere else would be quite useless. ^^

/edit: And by the time you have filled a map of that size with qualitative good content, WC4 will be released and have a much better Editor anyway. xD

saw792

Is known to say things. That is all.
Reaction score
480x480 is THE max. You can't extend it without modifying the program, which would require everyone who wanted to play your map to download your modified program separately outside the game.

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
Why would you need a map bigger than 480x480, it would be better if I saw your gigantic map size full of great terrain.

FannyShaver

Reaction score
The thing is, if you open Standard World Editor max map is meant to be 256x256, so basicly, everything above that is already a break in the game system, and what I personally believe that those are only map limits, not a warcraft. 480x480 exists in Newgen only, so well, what I wonder, maybe there is a Newgen possibility to get map bigger than that?

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
The thing is, if you open Standard World Editor max map is meant to be 256x256, so basicly, everything above that is already a break in the game system, and what I personally believe that those are only map limits, not a warcraft. 480x480 exists in Newgen only, so well, what I wonder, maybe there is a Newgen possibility to get map bigger than that?
No. And it has been said MULTIPLE times now. Accept it please.

The GAME max size limit is 480x480. Blizzard just decided that 256x256 is a better decision in terms of max size, so they capped the EDITOR at that - and they were right. I never saw a 480x480 map filled with high quality terrain.

480² is the game max size.
256² is the vanilla editor max size, which can be expanded to 480².
Period.

FannyShaver

Reaction score
Anyone know how to contact fellas making Jass Newgen?

I am just thinking of something really badass, and this is why I need that answer.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Anyone know how to contact fellas making Jass Newgen?

I am just thinking of something really badass, and this is why I need that answer.

http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=90999 is the download/bug report/etc. page. I really doubt you're going to get anyone to help. I guarantee you're going to get the same answer you're getting over here. Not only do 480x480 maps take up a lot of memory, but these maps never get finished, or aren't of any quality. To be honest, I find 256x256 to be a stretch for most games.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.