Memory could not be "written"

salem

Reaction score
What does it mean when the game crashes with a "FATAL ERROR!" message and it says that "The memory could not be written" ?

Is this a memory leak ?

It is rare for the game to crash like this (played more than 15 games before it crashed). First time I see this kind of crash "The memory could not be written".

There are some 3rd party stuff:
Code:
HeroGlow_Small.mdx
LoadingScreen.mdx
war3mapPreview.blp
FullScreen.blp

Reaction score
Highly, highly, highly doubt it. That's just a random bug, it can be due to bad programming, buffer overflows or damaged RAM.

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
It's actually the program attempting to reference a memory allocated variable that doesn't exist anymore. That's why you get that hex number upon a Fatal Error. If you are sticking to the GUI, its very difficulty to cause a Fatal Error.

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
It's actually the program attempting to reference a memory allocated variable that doesn't exist anymore. That's why you get that hex number upon a Fatal Error. If you are sticking to the GUI, its very difficulty to cause a Fatal Error.

Code:
Custom script:   loop
Custom script:   endloop

This does if you do not put any exitwhen and any wait. And it stills GUI since it uses the Trigger Editor Interface.

Jazradel said:
Infinate loop or a player that doesn't exist would do it.

For sure :p Like calling 17st player or -99st player.

salem

Reaction score
Interesting, the map I was playing was all GUI, if it's due to a non existing player I'll double check the triggers. I'm not so clear on the non-existing variable. What exactly is that?

Is it like a variable that the user makes or is it a variable that's made by the GUI during a trigger?

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
all the solutions i saw till now are only for problems which can occur by jass and i think he used only GUI

is it possible to use exitwhen on a GUI trigger using custom script?

salem

Reaction score
There are no Jass or custom triggers in the map, they're all GUI.
oh wait a sec, I did use Vexorian war3 map optimizer v4.0... Could that be causing this?

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
might be but i geuss u can't open ur map in WE right?
try using the map copy (i hope u have one) without the protection

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> That's just a random bug
Not at all. A bug can't be random...never.

> attempting to reference a memory allocated variable that doesn't exist anymore
This would more likely result in memory not being "read", not "written".

Usually in programming this happens when trying to allocate an unassigned pointer for instance.

Anyway I don't see how this may happen if you're using GUI.
Its possible, sure.
Code:
Untitled Trigger 001
    Events
        Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing <Empty String> as A substring
    Conditions
    Actions
        Game - Display to (Player group((Player((Integer((Entered chat string))))))) the text: test
Type 0 in-game and see what happens. Yet this results in memory not being "read", not "written".
Perhaps a bad model/texture/icon?

It's highly unlikely (yet still possible) for Vexorian's Optimizer to cause this. If this is the case then, obviously, an unoptimized version would work fine.

salem

Reaction score
It is rare for the game to crash like this (played more than 15 games before it crashed). First time I see this kind of crash "The memory could not be written".

There are some 3rd party stuff:
Code:
HeroGlow_Small.mdx
LoadingScreen.mdx
war3mapPreview.blp
FullScreen.blp
Now I've seen that "Hero Glow" model many times in-game, so I'm not sure if it's causing the crash or not. It's very hard to notice a pattern that causes the crash because it doesn't happen often.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.