Technology Nanotech revolution hints at 1TB iPod

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Your storage worries could be all over -- nanoscale hard drive technology developed by Japanese researchers could soon see a quadrupling of the current storage limits of devices such as laptops and iPods.

Japanese company Hitachi Ltd says its researchers have successfully shrunken a key component in hard drives to a nanoscale that will pave the way for quadrupling today's storage limits to four terabytes for desktop computers and one terabyte on laptops in 2011.

A terabyte can hold the text of roughly one million books, 250 hours of high-definition video, or a quarter million songs.

"It means the industry is making good progress to advance the capacity of disk drives and move to smaller form factors," said John Rydning, an analyst at market research firm IDC.

Last edited:

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I havent seen single hard drives larger than 750GB before, so this is a welcome change. I just cant wait for 1TB portable harddrives...

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You buy a 1 tb Ipod, it takes you 30 years to fill it, by which time the songs are outdated.
takes you another 10 years to delete them.
Etc.

Well...i guess you dont exactly have to fill it. Its not like anybodies going to have 250k songs, but 8gb is too small sometimes, so i'd think 1tb as "as much songs as you want" put as many songs as you want on it. no limit.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Ours used to only have 80GB for 1200 students. There wasn't even a limit. Now we have a 1TB drive and we also have a 100MB limit.
Annoyingly, this means that all the stuff I saved last year has to be moved, but I can't do that without seeing the system admin, which I'm too lazy to do. So my 1GB USB gets all the stuff.

But I really don't see the need for a 1TB iPod... even then, I wouldn't make it an iPod. I find them ridiculously annoying to use because you have to install software and crap.

Zen is much easier.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.