Need help with my no named RPG

Mullit

Reaction score
i would like you to give feed back on current ideas and progress and i also need help with a few trigger problems.

basic storyline: a new ruler (need a name) has taken over the riverside town of (need a name), he is very strong and aggressive. As there is no-one to challenge him in miles he has forced a local clan of orcs to work as the towns slaves on the dock. the local human villagers disagree with his doings but dont have the power to do anything about it. The new ruler is far to strong to fight in battle, even for a small clan of orcs, so the local villagers have asked the someone from the orc clan to go and find a special poison to kill him. You are a young peon who works as a stonemason for the new ruler, in an attempt to kill him you go on an adventure doing various quests to find someone who can make the poison.

Fighting system: the fighting is done using 2 abilities so the you have to press buttons to fight. there will be combos for the abilities to create moves that do more damage and have better looking special effects.
also the fighting moves change slightly depending on what weapon youve got.

for those of you who like using magic there will be lots of magic items to compensate for the 2 spaces lost for fighting

Quests: at the moment i only have a few quests worked out but some of them have a few twists to make it more puzzling.

help the fisherman - a group of merlocs have moved into the area and are eating all the fish, you have to kill all the merlocs then return to the fisherman for your reward.

Ingredients for special potion - the lady at the local apothacary is making a special potion and needs you to collect some ingredients. only one grows locally and only in a mans garden. when you collect the ingredients she will give you 3 vials of her new potion.

you have to do little side quests as part of both of these to make the gameplay more interesting. this isnt all ive got worked out but i cant be bothered to list more quests. if you have any more quest ideas please tell me.

what i neeed help with:
your start town is surrounded by water and the only way of is by stealing a boat.

How do i make it so units can get into enemy boats?

also i dont use cliffs in my terrain so is there a way of making certain tiles unwalkable so i dont have to use lots of pathing blockers to stop them walking up steep rocky hills?

heres some screenies of the start town and a forest thats inhabited by ogres just in case you were interested in what the map looks like.

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
The terrain is gorgeous!
you need triggers - i do them for you lol
you need thinking - my minds empty, so why not use it?!
you need someone to mow your lawn? - sorry im busy, but catch ya next time?
lol, so far it seems awesome! i got a few ideas, and i can do triggers if you want, i know how to do the random boat stop-off etc
heres some ideas of quests (ill update every time i think of a new one)

Quest Idea 1 - The Midnight Ghost
you wander around for a while, and at night, the town changes, people go to different places (etc taverns) you stumble across a lonely little grave with a sobbing ghost floating over it, after talking a bit, eventually you figure out why he still lingers in this life, and woosh, your set off onto another unpaid noble quest - the ghost sent you to find his wife, and tell her hes moving on, you go back and forth between the two until you finally convince her to meet the ghost, he has a sob story confession, some special effects, he poofs away, she thanks you - wallah, quest done

Quest Idea 2 - The Shoot Out
You witness a tavern shoot out, a guy gets thrown out and shot at, he runs away but is wounded, he first asks you to get him a potion of healing from the apothacary, you bring it back to him, he drinks it, he feels better, then he explains why he got kicked out, hes a drunkard who causes alot of trouble, and they finally got sick of his attitude, He continues a little bit to explain that he was once captain of the guards, but when the (unnamed) guy took control, he was cast from service, so hes been drinking ever since, you then have 2 options, smuggle him some beer from the warehouse that stores the taverns beer, or you can somehow find a way to get him into the good graces with the (unnamed) lord (example, you can rat out your fellow orc by telling him of an escape plan)

Quest Idea 3 - Arcane Mishap?
You visit the local wizard magistrate, he doesn't report to the lord because he's in direct contact with a consortium of mages, hes rather resentful of the way he's been treated since the lord has come into power, but for the most part they treat eachother with mild neglect, he studies away in his home and practices the arts, but a few days ago, his home was broken into by a few thugs who stole some very valuable items, he makes a deal with you, he doesn't care much for all the objects, its one important item, a scroll he'd been working on the last 3 years, polymorph, an invaluable object!
he offers you the other items if you manage to get the scroll back unharmed
(turns out, a small gang of orc who have managed to avoid being forced into labor are hiding out in the dark end of town, in a tavern called the Bloody Blokes, you get there and they require you to do something for them, the need a politician killed who's been trying to force the lord into storming and cleansing the darker end of town of all the vile orc and bandits)
they'd do it themselves, but the only way into the politicians house is through a small sewer line, you gotta run through there killing rats and all sorts of creatures, you come out on the other end in his house (in the basement with crate etc) you then sneak around the house avoiding the few guards patroling around, you can kill him one of 3 ways, run in guns blazing and hope everything dies, you can come in and threaten his life, or you can bag him and bring him kicking and screaming back to the orcs to deal with (you can use the gold bag on peon to look like your carrying someone..?)

if you like my ideas xD i got more

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
a couple of names you might find usefull :)
Gal'osh
Fildus
Val'ur
city names:
Goldor
Riverdan
Drelgon

WastedSavior

Reaction score
SFilip said:
a couple of names you might find usefull :)
Gal'osh
Fildus
Val'ur
city names:
Goldor
Riverdan
Drelgon

rofl why am i reminded of lord of the rings?
goldor = gondor
riverdan = rivendel

i kinda like riverdan though oO
its got an appeal to it xD goldor, drelgon sound dodgey though
(but its up to him in the end so who cares what i think? :p )

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I've also got some ideas (no offence but the storyline is lookin kinda dry, no epicness just poison a king).

Village Jobs - Earn 25000 gold: Do housework, sell things at the marketplace, do what ever you can around the village to earn 25000 gold, a man will then give you the location of an ingredient to the poison.

Village Jobs - Monopolise the Village: Whilst earning big cash can be fun, what's even more fun is when you control the cash and the village. (SIDE QUEST) Earn 1 million gold through Village Life to completely monopolise the village, this gives you a chance to advertise for a poison :D.

more coming :).

~Jindo

Mullit

Reaction score
thanks for the feed back everyone.
jindo - i know the storyline is kinda rubbish but i first made part of the map just for terraining practice but then got into making a small town and what not, so i decided to make it into an RPG. the storyline i kinda just made up before i posted. i didnt put too much thought into it so you are welcome to come up with something else, all that i need to stay the same is that you are a young peon slave in a human village with a nasty ruler.

btw when you get older and get good armour and weapons your model will change to a grunt or something so dont worry anyone if you thought a peon was a bit rubbish.

wastedsavior - i would send you the map to help with triggers once ive finnished terraining. however, the map file is about 40Mb at the moment. the map was origianally a map full of custom doodads, as you may have noticed. when the map is pretty much finnished i will delete any imports that aren't 100% necassary so the file size should go down a lot. I would like to do as much of it as possible by myself so could you please post the triggers for that random boat thing.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
WastedSavior said:
rofl why am i reminded of lord of the rings?
goldor = gondor
riverdan = rivendel

i kinda like riverdan though oO
its got an appeal to it xD goldor, drelgon sound dodgey though
(but its up to him in the end so who cares what i think? :p )
dammit well lotr kinda "stays in your head" even if you dont notice it :p

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Are you going to have a class system? If you are, here's an idea:

You start out as a peon. Your peon is quite versatile, but also weak. Your time as a peon is basically a tutorial, and there's lots of things to help you along.

After some time, you grow up to become a grunt. As a grunt, you are much more powerful than a peon, but you still lack specialization. At the grunt level, you spend a good part of your time going over the other classes you can be, and are still led along a little more than usual.

Even later on, you can choose your class. Each class has special abilities and such, for example, a wolf rider will likely have very little magic spells or abilities, but has a variety of strong attacks and combos, whereas the Farseer has only one attack, with only a simple combo (the same move over and over), but a wide selection of spells.

Here's a tech-tree:

Peon (balanced)
-Grunt (balanced)
--Wolf Rider (attack/speed)
---Kofo Rider (attack, some speed)
---Wyvern Rider (speed, some attack)
--Shaman (magic/attack)
---Blademaster (attack, some magic)
---Far Seer (magic, some attack)

Of course, this is kinda limitedas far as models go since there are only orcs, but you get the idea.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
shaman and blademaster kinda dont fit...i think it would be better that you first become a blademaster (if you choose that path offcourse) and then pick either a kodo or a wolf as your mount. and a wyvern at some later point as your final class.
magic should also include a warlock in my oppinion.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
true, maybe replace blademaster with warlock. I was thinking, the shaman has those claws, yes? then the claws could be used as melee weapons, or something. You get the idea, though.

Mullit

Reaction score
AgentPaper - originaly i was going to do something similar to that, but instead of chosing your class by getting taught about them in the start of the game, i was going to do it so when you complete certain quests you get better at certain things or upgrade to a better unit. ie. you did a quest for a band of raiders and they would give you one of thier wolves which would give you increased speed and slightly improved attack.

if i do make a class system it will be a very basic one because i wanted your main character to be based on the manual attack system and therefore melee based. also im planning to have a shaman join you somewhere in the game so i probably wouldnt do a class that was to strong with magic.

Also at the moment the map size i think is only 192x192 and i dont plan on increasing it (unless the storyline gets really developed and this turns into a 4 month project) so having a large part as a peon and grunt where you're somewhat guided would be inappropriate (however thats spelled)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
manual attack system? :banghead:
as in you need to attack by pressing a key every time? bad idea, in my oppinion. it can be really annoying and people might dump your map before they even start (had experience with it, trust me)

anyway what do you think about the names i thinked of? :)

WastedSavior

Reaction score
can i ask where you got all those models?
it looks like every texture in your screen shots but the orc and headhunters are imported, and i ran through buildings/doodad models and skins at wc3sear.ch Oo

Mullit

Reaction score
yeah the doodads are what 2-P posted

SFilip - yes i mean you have to press buttons to attack, and i know that people will get annoyed with it but thats why im going to make combos for more powerful attacks. some you will be told about from NPCs and stuff and some you will have to work out yourself, also there will be different combos for different weapons.
i think the names were good i might make Gal'osh the name of the peon. riverdan was good to but it reminds me too much of lotr so i dont think i'll use it.

i still have no ideas on how to trigger the combos btw, any help on that would be greatly appreciated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.