Gaming Nintendo issues age warning on its 3D games

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Japan's Nintendo has issued a health warning over the 3D function on its upcoming gaming console, recommending children aged six and under do not play with it to prevent damage to their eyes.

At a promotional event near Tokyo in January, "we will offer 2Ds alone to children aged six and younger as continuing to watch 3D images for a long time could negatively affect the development of their eyes," Nintendo said.

The new-generation DS console -- which enables users to play 3D games without special glasses -- missed the Christmas season but will be released on February 26 in Japan and in March in the United States, Europe and Australia.

Nintendo is to hold an admission-free three-day event in Chiba, east of Tokyo, from January 8 to let gamers try the new console ahead of its launch.

Last edited:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
There's a lot of reason for why!

Well
3D requires 3D glasses.
It's unnecessary
3D costs MOAR
And it does hurts your eyes a bit.

Well, let's see how well these 3D TVs be. hmm

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
-3D no longer requires 3D glasses in some cases
-A lot of things are unnecessary
-A lot of things cost more
-A lot of things can hurt your eyes; also this is different for every person

Just sayings.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
1. So..... wait... how is that an argument...
2. Really? I guess beer is unnecessary. I guess computers are unnecessary. I guess soda/pop/any drink other than water is unnecessary. Well, then...
3. And?
4. Then choose not to and watch and laugh as others... have to wear glasses?

o_O'

Edit: Blah. The DIY Ninja was Ninja'd by The Wrong Pine. :-/

FireCat

Reaction score
^ :rolleyes: ^ hehe

In this case, It's unnecessary and I certainly don't want to pay MOAR
to see a 3D movie with crap 3D glasses or even without It. It's not even enjoyable to watch a movie.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Then don't pay more? Go buy a 2D TV then. No one is forcing you to buy a 3D TV.

So you think that 3D TV's shouldn't exist because you think 2D is more enjoyable?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In this case, It's unnecessary and I certainly don't want to pay MOAR
to see a 3D movie with crap 3D glasses or even without It. It's not even enjoyable to watch a movie.

I actually think 3D movies are more enjoyable to watch.

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
I was very skeptical of3D movies when they were first announced, and let's face facts, they were pretty shitty back then. But, after watching Avatar on a crappy bootleg and then seeing it in 3D I was blown away. Yes it was the same movie, but I felt more involved and a deeper presence. I'm excited that technology has allowed us to take off those goofy glasses, my only complain is they hurt my ears after a while.

I'm glad Nintendo posted this warning. They did this for the same reason we have bans on smoking and drinking until a specific age. Your body is still developing during these times and by bringing in something that's "harmful" during this development process puts even more strain on it.

FireCat

Reaction score
one is forcing you to buy a 3D TV.
Is there's a 3D TV already, right?

Oh and I saw this stuff

consumerreports said:
You have to wear special glasses to watch 3D

This is one of the biggest drawbacks to 3D. Without special glasses, you'll see blurry double images. These aren't the old-fashioned cardboard glasses that you used to get at movie theaters, but high-tech active-shutter glasses. Some are reasonably comfortable but others feel heavy and cumbersome, and you might not feel like wearing them for a prolonged period of time. That's especially true if you wear prescription eyewear; you can put the 3D glasses over them, though some might find this especially uncomfortable.

You get one or two pairs of glasses with some 3D TVs, but other sets don't include any. Recent promotions have included glasses with a TV purchase, but it can vary by manufacturer. In some cases, you get glasses only if you also buy a bundle including a Blu-ray player. If you have to buy glasses for a family of viewers, it can get pretty expensive, since they cost about $130 to $150 a pair. Universal glasses have just hit the market, and we're testing them to see how well they work with various brands, but they aren't much less expensive. With any luck, cheaper and more comfortable glasses could be arriving in 2011.

---> MOAR here.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
You have to wear special glasses to watch 3D
For the TV sets that require them - however, this isn't the case with the product in the article
The new-generation DS console -- which enables users to play 3D games without special glasses
and there was another thread about 3D TV's being shipped that wouldn't require glasses either. The article is referring to the release of 3D TV's in Spring, so tech has moved on a bit since then.

Either way, I don't think it's fair of you to try and denounce 3D TV just because you don't like it (whether you dislike 3D in theory or in reality, I do not know) - personally, I don't like 3D that much since I find it irritating to the eyes, but that doesn't change the fact that it is an impressing, promising technology that others do enjoy.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
FireCat, I just sorta... noticed this line:

which enables users to play 3D games without special glasses

in the OP.

If they can do so with games, they can do so with TV's. And they have.

So anyways... You once again ignored my points.

Let's broaden the spectrum again.

And forgive my language.

These companies don't give a rat's ass about one person who doesn't like 3D when the vast majority does like it.

This isn't a fair world and sad to say it, but no your opinion doesn't matter in this situation.

Either you like it or you don't. If you don't then don't buy one.

That's reality.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
lol.

I actually think Motion IMAX 4D > 4D/IMAX/MOTION > 3D > 2D.

Though, if this requires an age warning, I think they might as well not have it. I mean, since it's just a DS, right? Not like a movie or something. :)

Anteo

Reaction score
lol.

I actually think Motion IMAX 4D > 4D/IMAX/MOTION > 3D > 2D.

Though, if this requires an age warning, I think they might as well not have it. I mean, since it's just a DS, right? Not like a movie or something. :)

It's been anounced that the new ds will be able to play 3D Hollywood movies so, yes it is like a movie. It also has a switch that you can use to turn off the 3d, and I think there is going to be a parental thing to block the 3d if necessary. So yeah.. it really needs a age warning if it is that bad to children, it is a DS so you can expect lots of kids playing .

nintendo_3ds_depth_slider.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.