Origins of Warcraft 3 Names

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
I've decided to make a thread about the origins of certain names in Warcraft 3. I will try to add at least one name each day (or week); but if you have your own insights, please submit them. Here we go:

• Uther: From Uther Pendragon, father of King Arthur.
  • Lich: A fantastic undead being; also a town in Germany; also an archaic word for 'corpse' (possibly).
  • [Anything containing] Anub: From Anab, a grape; a knot; or: from Anubis, an Egyptian god.
  • Arthas: From King Arthur (possibly).
  • Samuro: "An actual Japanese praenomen."
  • Taunka: From the Sioux word for 'buffalo:' 'tanka.'
  • Tauren: From the Minotaur or Taurus.
  • Murloc: From mermaid and/or morlock.
  • Treants: From Ents (if you look in the World Editor at the raw code of the model, it will be called Ent.)
  • Troggs: From troglodytes.
  • Mal'ganis: From mal, meaning bad, and Ganis, a knight.
  • Balnazzard: From Balthasar.
  • Archimonde: From arch and monde.
  • Sylvanas: From a charactar of Arthurian legend of the same general name.

C

Cryo

Isn't anub for Anubis, cause all the cryptlords and narubians seem to have the Egyptian theme.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Arthas comes from King Arthur?

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
I wouldn't put that much stock into the origin of warcraft names, seeing as Blizzard usually doesn't base much of its material off of other things. They're probably just made up names that the devs thought sounded cool.

Knight7770

Reaction score
I wouldn't put that much stock into the origin of warcraft names, seeing as Blizzard usually doesn't base much of its material off of other things. They're probably just made up names that the devs thought sounded cool.
That's actually not true. If you've ever played StarCraft, you would see that there are many strange names for the Zerg broods. Those are based off of some obscure language.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
sheep: a real creature :p

seriously though: my 2 cents
theres a weird blademaster dude in campaign units called samuro. possibly samurai?

cool subject btw

Knight7770

Reaction score
sheep: a real creature :p

seriously though: my 2 cents
theres a weird blademaster dude in campaign units called samuro. possibly samurai?

cool subject btw
I added yours. Thanks :thup:

Tharius

Occasionally Around
Reaction score
Samuro is an actual Japanese praenomen.

On a separate note, I feel that listing "lich" is similar to listing something like "goblin" or "dwarf". It's less a "name origin" and more of an extrapolation of a type of fantastic creature (as opposed to the names of individual beings/places).

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
according to wikipedia, lich is an old word for a corpse. Like REALLY old, as in my god, noone has talked like that for over 200 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lich_%28disambiguation%29

also says a lich in modern fantasy is a magician who binded himself to a corpse or something.

I did my research, and forgot to take notes :)

So, ya i guess that tharius is right

Knight7770

Reaction score
Samuro is an actual Japanese praenomen.
Fixed :thup:
according to wikipedia, lich is an old word for a corpse. Like REALLY old, as in my god, noone has talked like that for over 200 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lich_(disambiguation)

also says a lich in modern fantasy is a magician who binded himself to a corpse or something.

I did my research, and forgot to take notes
I prefer not to use Wikipedia, but I'll add that :thup:

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
I hear that one of WoW's new non-player races is going to be called the "taunka"; that's probably lifted from the Sioux word for buffalo, "tanka". Their relatives the "tauren" are probably derived from "minotaur" or "taurus", from the Greek and Roman mythology.

I'd guess the "murlocs" are some combination of "mermaid" and "morlock", from medieval legend and H.G. Wells respectively. The "naga" are obviously a reference to the Indian serpent-spirits of the same name, who were also often associated with water.

Equally obviously, "worgen" are a reference to J.R.R. Tolkien's "wargs" (though they look and act more like werewolves). And his "ents" are the inspiration for both the "treants" and "ancients" (maybe through Dungeons and Dragons, which also has "treants"...although rumor has it that they were called "ents" before Tolkien's family sued D&D).

"Troggs" are maybe based on the "troglodytes" of Greek legend, a tribe of Africans who supposedly lived in caves. (It's now used as a word for cavemen and chimpanzees. Also, the Greeks were horrible racists, apparently.)

Knight7770

Reaction score
I hear that one of WoW's new non-player races is going to be called the "taunka"; that's probably lifted from the Sioux word for buffalo, "tanka". Their relatives the "tauren" are probably derived from "minotaur" or "taurus", from the Greek and Roman mythology.

I'd guess the "murlocs" are some combination of "mermaid" and "morlock", from medieval legend and H.G. Wells respectively. The "naga" are obviously a reference to the Indian serpent-spirits of the same name, who were also often associated with water.

Equally obviously, "worgen" are a reference to J.R.R. Tolkien's "wargs" (though they look and act more like werewolves). And his "ents" are the inspiration for both the "treants" and "ancients" (maybe through Dungeons and Dragons, which also has "treants"...although rumor has it that they were called "ents" before Tolkien's family sued D&D).

"Troggs" are maybe based on the "troglodytes" of Greek legend, a tribe of Africans who supposedly lived in caves. (It's now used as a word for cavemen and chimpanzees. Also, the Greeks were horrible racists, apparently.)
Thanks; the list has been updated :thup:

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I read in a book that Troggs/Troglodytes were actually like troggs from World of Warcraft. They were EVIL creatures with no eyes or something... and if you disrespected a higher being like a tribe chief or something, it would be sent to destroy your house and anything in its path. The only way to counter it was to put 4 bricks at each corner of your bed and it would be a safe place.

Something like that. :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.