periodic charging ability, much like SC2's zealot charge

beauzulu

Reaction score
hi, i was wondering if there was a way to replicate the zealot charge that is being introduced into the starcraft 2 game [basically every few seconds the 'zealot' gets a huge boost of speed allowing it to catch up with enemies, this is not casted its just a passive and the boost lasts for about 1.5 seconds which is around how long it takes to reach a fleeing enemy]

also if possible could anyone help me out with making this ability if it can be made? or give me any tips? im very very terrible at triggers, also i have 'vanila editor' if that means anything haha. much appreciated

Shura

Reaction score
So the ability would give a speed boost for 1.5 seconds, then wait for a bit, and then give a speed boost again? So this would repeat over and over no matter what the unit is doing?

Also, would your ability need to be MUI?

Happy

Reaction score
that would be 2 trigger...

1. the unit learn the ability then add the event 'every X seconds' to the second trigger...
2. without event...if then elses for every level (or maths^^) with the boost added to a dummy and the order to cast it...

thats it....

i hope you understand...^^

greetz happy

beauzulu

Reaction score
yeah it would do exactly that, im not sure what MUI is so :/ can you explain?

also is there a way to reduce the attack animation of the attacking unit so its able to chase more effectivley, for example if jaina didnt have her rediculous attack animation she wouldnt be still sitting there while her target gets away haha, what im getting at is there a way to edit it so the player doesnt have to continuously cancel animations?

beauzulu

Reaction score
ohk thanks happy, but im not even sure how to use a dummy properly lol! ill look it all up tomorrow and re-read what u posted :)

beauzulu

Reaction score
ok sorry for quadruple post but im still unsure how to do this skill, can anyone explain the dummy buisness in reference to this idea?

Shura

Reaction score
Well the way I would make the ability would be like this. Create a passive ability that does nothing and give it to your unit. Then make an ability based off of Unholy Aura that is adjusted so that it only provides a speed boost to self. Then put the ability in a spellbook and disable the spellbook for all players. Then use this trigger.
Trigger:
  • trigger
    • Events
      • Time - Every 1.50 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((Level of Acid Bomb for (Matching unit)) Greater than 0)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Spell Book for (Picked unit)) Greater than 0
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Remove Spell Book from (Picked unit)
            • Else - Actions
              • Unit - Add Spell Book to (Picked unit)

This may not be exactly what you want. And if any of that was confusing, I can clarify.

beauzulu

Reaction score
ok.. ill try replicate that trigger, but what do you mean when you say "a spellbook"? i got confused there

ok ive done the passive and the unholy aura ability

Shura

Reaction score
A spellbook is an item ability. You need to change it to a unit ability, and then add your unholy aura into the spellbook. Then you need to use a trigger to disable the spellbook for the player. This way, when you add the spellbook to increase the unit's speed, it doesn't take up a slot of the unit with the speed boost.

beauzulu

Reaction score
ok, ive done the spellbook made it not an item ability, added the "unholy aura" but i dont get how to disable it in triggers for players/why to do thatm, also i dont understand "Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((Level of Acid Bomb for (Matching unit)) Greater than 0)) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
If - Conditions
(Level of Spell Book for (Picked unit)) Greater than 0
Then - Actions
Unit - Remove Spell Book from (Picked unit)
Else - Actions
Unit - Add Spell Book to (Picked unit"

where did the acid bomb come from, also how do i level up the unholy aura on the spellbook as my hero levels up their skill?

EDIT: ok i think im understanding the "if" "then" "else" part

Shura

Reaction score
Use this to disable the spellbook for all players.
Trigger:
  • a trigger
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 12, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Player - Disable Spell Book for (Player((Integer A)))

And you would do this because otherwise, the spellbook would take up an item slot on the unit whenever it was added.
Also, acid bomb was supposed to be the dummy ability that your hero would learn. And do you understand the first trigger now? If not, what problems are you having with it?

EDIT: To upgrade the unholy aura with the ability of your unit, one way would be to give your spellbook multiple levels, and have each level have a different unholy aura in it. Then you would just need to set the spellbook level to the ability level.

beauzulu

Reaction score
ok i think i get it al now except for the "((Level of Acid Bomb for (Matching unit)) Greater than 0)) and do (Actions) " i cant find that anywhere in the editor :/

im also still not sure about the levelling of the ability

Shura

Reaction score
For the first thing, your going to want to pick Units in Region matching Condition when making the unit group, then for the condition you use an integer comparison. And if you set the spellbook up the way i suggested, you adjust the level by adding in
Trigger:
  • Unit - Set level of Spell Book for (Picked unit) to (Level of Your Ability for (Picked unit))

after you have added the spellbook in the first trigger.

beauzulu

Reaction score
ok: "Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((Level of Acid Bomb for (Matching unit)) Greater than 0)) and do (Actions) "

i can get the trigger up to: "Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)" but i cant get the "matching" bit..

EDIT: hang on i found it im experimenting now ill get back to you

beauzulu

Reaction score
ok got everything sorted except for "(Level of Spell Book for (Picked unit)) Greater than 0 " i cant find that anywhere in the editor lol i am blind :p

beauzulu

Reaction score
ok cool got that trigger working, im not sure how to make it level up though, and also is there a way to make the time between each movement speed boost longer than the actual boost instead of "10 seconds speed boost 10 seconds no boost, repeat", rather, "10 seconds move speed boost 25 second no boost, repeat"

and one final thing is there a way to make the % speed boost higher than 10% for the unholy aura buff, i know its possible but i cant figure it out its just a simple option right?

Shura

Reaction score
If your not using custom values, you could adjust the trigger so that it's like this:
Trigger:
  • trigger
    • Events
      • Time - Every 5.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((Level of Your Ability for (Matching unit)) Greater than 0)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Set the custom value of (Picked unit) to ((Custom value of (Picked unit)) + 1)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Custom value of (Picked unit)) Equal to 3
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Add Spell Book to (Picked unit)
              • Unit - Set level of Spell Book for (Picked unit) to (Level of Acid Bomb for (Picked unit))
            • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Custom value of (Picked unit)) Equal to 5
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Remove Spell Book from (Picked unit)
              • Unit - Set the custom value of (Picked unit) to 0
            • Else - Actions

There should be a field under Unholy aura to change the speed increase. Data - Movement Speed increase.

beauzulu

Reaction score
ok.. i really dont get that trigger at all! haha can you tell me what it is doing? EDIT: what are custom values?

and i did edit that field but it wont go higher than 10% per level. EDIT: 10% movement speed for each level, im looking for about 20/40/60% for lvls 1/2/3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.