World Russia threatens military response to US missile defence deal

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
capt.cps.mya59.080708191024.photo04.photo.default-341x512.jpg

Russia threatened to retaliate by military means after a deal with the Czech Republic brought the US missile defence system in Europe a step closer.

The threat followed quickly on from the announcement that Condoleezza Rice signed a formal agreement with the Czech Republic to host the radar for the controversial project.

Moscow argues that the missile shield would severely undermine the balance of European security and regards the proposed missile shield based in two former Communist countries as a hostile move.

“We will be forced to react not with diplomatic, but with military-technical methods,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

Read the whole story here.

------------------------
That is not good. Talk is cheap though (you can bet that is what the Administration is thinking).

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
What are they going to do, bomb our bases in the Czech Republic?

Blow them off the map.

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
An empty threat by the Russians.

An attack on the Czech Republic would end badly for them. The U.S. Army and Marines are kind of tied up at the moment, yet thats not too much of a problem. NATO forces would attack from the ground and NATO airforces (including the U.S.) would create complete air superiority.

Russia would have to get a major ally, and I wouldnt bet on China coming to the rescue for them.

On the other hand though, the Czechs don't really want this missle system, so a new location probably would be smart....

Xapphire

Liberty, Simply said; a lie.
Reaction score
I'm Russian, I respect them for trying to toughen up little Europe over there, but everyone knows USA could own them, they just have pretty woman haha.

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
T.B.H. I don't want any US missile bases in Europe neither and I'm from Belgium...

What's the use?

All I see is the U.S. trying to ensure THEIR safety by making Europe only capable of firing missiles when THEY allow it... which is bullshit.

Sure you can say "Hey, don't come crying when a Middle East country nukes your ass and you don't have a missile defence shield to protect your ass"...

But then again, Europeans don't tend to piss off so many countries like the U.S. does...

I'd rather take my chances without any missile shields nearby, thank you.

Asehujiko

Reaction score
What are they going to do, bomb our bases in the Czech Republic?

Blow them off the map.

You do realise that the missile shield is not yet operational, right? And even if it was, it wouldn't stop the backflipping hatchet throwing guy.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I am not paticularly bothered about a Missile "Shield". If the Iranians go Nuclear and launch then there's precious little a missile shield could do that a nuclear submarine could not also do.

And I'm pretty sure we have the systems to shoot down missiles mid-flight anyway.

Centreri

Reaction score
Honestly, if the Iranians get serious help with creating a nuclear arsenal from Russia, there's pretty much nothing any missile defense shield can do about it. Currently active ground-launched Topol-M and the tested submarine-launched Bulava missiles can get past pretty much any missile defense, since they can change course in flight to evade, set off decoys, and won't even be destroyed if there were a nuclear blast in 500 feet. Invulnerability to heat weapons, too.

Luckily, Iran's doing it without help, so a missile defense is semi-plausible - however, even then, the most fitting comparison to what the US is trying to do is 'shoot down a bullet with another bullet'. This whole Us missile defense is largely just Bush's bid for world attention and trying to stir everyone up, as well as one of America's last moves in its bids to remain a superpower.

The problem with these bases in the Czech Republic and Poland is that even thought they're planned to be equipped with ten interceptor missiles, not only can those interceptor missiles be equipped with nuclear warheads and the base expanded to become even more dangerous, but each of those interceptor missiles has a flight time of no more than ten minutes into Russia. That means that the missile can probably hit major targets before the SAM's can take them down. Russia had previously aimed it's nuclear missiles at European targets as well as planned to aim further ones at the missile base and radar itself - a deterrent. If you dare hit us, we'll make you wish you'd never been born. Also put more pressure on the US.

I'll also note that the populations of the Czech Republic and Poland are firmly against it - in both countries, 50+% of the people want no missile defense. For a country that loves democracy, America sure is the ultimate hypocrite. I shall close off with a comparison of this to the Cuban Missile Crisis - America almost started a nuclear war when that happened. Wouldn't you say that Russia's taking this rather mildly?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Doesn't sound too good for the US :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.