Report Spanking can bring problems later

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
DURHAM, N.H. - New research by a University of New Hampshire domestic abuse expert says spanking children affects their sex lives as adults. Professor Murray Straus concludes that children who are spanked are more likely as adults to coerce partners to have sex, to have unprotected sex and to have masochistic sex.

Other studies have shown the link between spanking and physical violence, but Straus said his research is the first to show a link between corporal punishment and sexual behavior.

"My underlying motive was to bring this to the attention of parents and of more people," Straus said, "in the hope it will help continue the decrease in the use of corporal punishment."

Straus, co-director of UNH's Family Research Laboratory, conducted a study in the mid-1990s in which he asked 207 students at three colleges whether they'd ever been aroused by masochistic sex. He also asked them if they'd been spanked as children. He found that students who were spanked were nearly twice as likely to like masochistic sex.

Last edited:

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Yeah... and people don't like standing in the rain because they didn't always like it, back in the days, when mom told them to take a bath...

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I have lived by this since I was spanked as a child and my kids do not have the same type of problems from it that I did. Of course I don't have boys.

IMHO, spanking children fosters lying in children because it is the only way to avoid a spanking.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> my kids do not have the same type of problems

You mean different kids have different problems?
Can't be. That's in direct logical conflict from the study above, which clearly states that all children are precisely identical in "problems", based on those 207 that were asked.

There's a difference between some beating on the backside for putting the house on fire with matches, and getting to hospital for not sitting straight at the table.

pladams9

Seth's Good-Twin
Reaction score
I don't claim to be an expert (duh. Who is?) but my opinion is that any punishment could lead children to lie in order to avoid it. If they don't care to avoid it, what kind of a punishment is that? That isn't to say that I think spanking is the best punishment, but it's human nature to avoid things we dislike. Probably the absolute best thing would be to raise a child to know right and wrong, as opposed to what gets me in trouble and what doesn't.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I tell my kids they only get the spanking if they lie.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I got hit as a kid, it set me on the straight and narrow, I'm here now and no worse off for it. Well, unless you count moody secretiveness, world domination ambitions and a liking for BDSM :p

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I don't think there's a universal way to raise your kid(s), and therefore I believe spanking shouldn't be banned.

Some kids naturally behave more than others. Some must be taught a lesson, and if they don't get the hint after many, many "uh oh's", spanking may be a possibility for a punishment.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
If they banned spanking it would completely kill my whole plan. I have to have the authority to spank in order to threaten it. Government should not be allowed to regulate these types of things anyway - for sure not the federal government.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I have never been spanked, and i'm a 'good' kid.

My brother on the other hand, was spanked frequently. Yes, he has shaped up, but the first thing he wants to do is get out of the house. He has no respect for my dad (who spanked him) and ... yeah. I guess it has different outcomes depending on various factors.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Maybe we should lock them in closets like my parents did? That won't have any psychological effects at all!

ShadowTek

Reaction score
With all the technological toys that kids have nowadays, I would think it would be easier to strategically meter their allowed usage of these things in order to achieve influence.

But you have to be smart about it.

My mom would always take my Nintendo from me. But I would always find it and steal it back. lol

One time, she tried to punish me by unplugging my TV. But that didn't work because I apparently wasn't as stupid as she thought I was. lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.