Spell Based off of Defend: Problem adjusting movement speed

OogaBooga

Reaction score
I'm using an ability that increases a sniper units damage and rate of fire, but I want it to vastly decrease his speed, or even make him immobile if I can. The problem is that changing the "Data - Movement speed Factor" field doesn't seem to have any effect, unless I decrease it (and thereby increase the units speed).

I basically can't get the unit to slow down beyond 70% speed, even if I max out the factor at 10 (the normal is .3, which subtracts 30% speed). Is it impossible to do without triggers, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

eXirrah

Reaction score
Hmm... There is spell similar to what you are talking about in a map called SWAT Aftermath.

Lock-Down (toggle)
Locks the hero in place for extra stability, allowing him to launch larger rockets at an increased fire-rate.

I never thought about how redscull(creator of the map) created it, but when you activate it you cannot move until you deactivate it.

He is a cool guy maybe if you ask him he could help you out.
Here is a link to SWAT Aftermath forum :
http://redscull.com/forum/index.php?sid=5c8c7538018fd261440167d5e3d8e04f
Maybe you should ask in the open discussion or something. Don't be scared, some of the moderators there are always edgy but if red wishes to help you, he will.

EDIT: Hmm... in gameplay constants there is a field called Movement speed-Unit speed-minimum which by default is 150... try setting that to 0 and try with defend again...

EDIT2: NAh .... the minimum speed can't be set to 0, the minimum number is 1.

EDIT3: I think I got it. Create a dummy that cast the Ensnare ability on your unit and change the buff to Lockdown for example. set the Ensnare ability duration to some large number like 3600(max) which is 1 hour. When the player casts the ability ensnare him with the dummy unit and when he deactivates it just remove the ensnare buff. This should work.

S

Scroller

You can create a dummy unit with the slow ability and order it to cast slow on the unit when it uses that ability.
Edit: I think you must change ownership of the dummy unit to something like neutral hostile cause I don't think slow can be targeted on allies.

eXirrah

Reaction score
I don't think slow will help him. Slow can slow units yeah but my opinion is that it can't slow them more than stated in Movement Speed - Unit Speed - Minimum in global variables which can't be set to 0.

OogaBooga

Reaction score
Hmm okay, I'll give that a try, thanks for all the input. I might need help setting the trigger to refer to when he turns off the ability in order to remove the buff, but lemme see if I can figure it out for myself. That's usually the best way to learn. Thanks again for all the help fellas/ladies :)

New Development: VICTORY! by reducing the gameplay constants minimum unit speed to 1, I was able to set the "Data - Movement speed Factor" to 1 and it DOES make the unit immobile. You're a genius Exirrah, thanks a bunch ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.