Spell Contest #3 | Theme: Icons | 18.03.09 - 04.04.09

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
LOL... I thought it was an icon making contest....... but then theres... spells... lol!

I might join, but depending on if I'm free and stuff :O

How do people still enter contest and stuff when they got school stuff?

Reaction score
The theme of the contest was quite confusing at first when I read the title. Anyway, I'll give it a try with something rather simple 'cause I don't feel like making complicated stuff...

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good luck everyone. Hopefully I'll be seeing your submissions in the submission thread eventually. :)

> If that's really one of the requirements then you should specify it more and what you would like to see.
Can it be easily configured. (Damage, time, effects, etc).
I guess that one's not clear. I'll change it now.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
Does this spell need multiple levels? If not will we get more points if we make it multiple levels? I didn't see anything in the rules concerning this.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Does this spell need multiple levels? If not will we get more points if we make it multiple levels? I didn't see anything in the rules concerning this.
It'd be included in how configurable the spell is.
Multiple levels aren't exactly difficult to add anyway.

Good luck to everyone who's submitted, working on the spell, or planning to work on the spell soon.

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
>>All short snippets are allowed
Such as?
I'm quite blur on how to define a short snippet. Really. @_@

Dirac

Reaction score
@Gals
is that azuka in your avatar? lol

I've been testing my map (already submited, try it! :p) and i realized Romek's demo map trigger + iPeez map is an insane combination. Since many units have abilities to create many other units, thanks to Romek's trigger this units come back alive as permanents. The maximum number of units i've reached is around 200 lol.

EDIT: as romek said.... if my spell is customizable do i get bonus points?

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
I might join this contest if all scripts with less that 500 lines are clasified as short snippets..

Seriously, banning all the systems is againts everything we vJassers believe in. It just forces us to write some useless code for every spell, when we could just use systems to do those things

Its bad coding and contest like this should be an examples about good coding and spell making.

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
yeah that doesnt make a whole lot of sense.
i can understand disallowing importing systems
but what if you make one specifically for the spell is that different?

i mean what if we need damage detection?
we can make a short system... right?
just as long as it is not imported?

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
The problem is that I have already scripted my DamageDetection system, so I would have to do it again ( because we cant use those things if they are written before this contest ) and that kinda bugs me.

Well, actually we cant use any non attachment systems at all.. ( What makes attachment systems different, can I ask? )

Of course many will use dynamic triggers because of this, but some say that they are dangerous..

bzz

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
Com'n guys.
Lets just live with it. Rules are stated.
It is an examination to us.

Prove 'em we're PROs!
Overcome the rules, and be the extraordinary one!!

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
When you showed me (us, haven't forgot you Arti :D ) the preview pic thing, I just thought it'd be a generic theme. ;)

Cool theme, great idea. Really original. I'll see if I can join, I think I got a tiiiny idea :)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> I'm quite blur on how to define a short snippet. Really. @_@
SafeX/Y, GetLocationZ, NewTimer, ReleaseTimer, etc.

> Romek's demo map trigger + iPeez map is an insane combination.
My current map is also a Romek + iPeez combo. ;)

> I might join this contest if all scripts with less that 500 lines are clasified as short snippets..
Lol, no. The rules aren't going to change. (In this way, anyway)

> It just forces us to write some useless code for every spell, when we could just use systems to do those things
It makes things too easy. This way you need to code things yourself, instead of using the "MakeAwesomeSpell()" function.

> but what if you make one specifically for the spell is that different?
Well, then that's allowed. Though it's much easier to incorporate the system into the spell directly than making a whole new system that's easy to use.

> i mean what if we need damage detection?
Damage detection can be made in very few lines. It's hardly a system. :p

> The problem is that I have already scripted my DamageDetection system, so I would have to do it again
It's easier to make it for one spell than any amount of spells.

> Of course many will use dynamic triggers because of this, but some say that they are dangerous..
And that'll separate the pros from the others. You'll end up with more points than others if it's kept this way. It's much harder to tell skill levels apart if all everyone's doing is calling functions from pre-created systems.

> Well, actually we cant use any non attachment systems at all.. ( What makes attachment systems different, can I ask? )
Well, custom attachment systems tend to just be "H2I(h) - 0x100000" anyway.
And things such as unit indexing can't really be recreated just for a single spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.