TD Tower Idea Thread

Dirac

Reaction score
Ok, i've searched through the forums for TD towers, found all 5 contests, and i got some ideas but i need more. I'm in need of TD Towers ideas.

Theme: NAUTICAL
Exceptions: I don't want any "insta-kill" tower or % damage tower.

Tower Name:
Description of the tower:

You do not have to specify damage done, but you can
Ideas must be as creative as possible.
+rep will be rewarded to good ideas

EXAMPLE TOWER:
Tower Name: Seagul Keeper
Description of the tower: When built the tower spams 4 seaguls that fly around it, seaguls attack enemies that pass nearby, then they go back to the tower.

TheOverWhelm

Reaction score
Shiver me Timbers!
Shoots a slow speed Water Effect wave towards an enemy unit, will fly for X range and any unit it comes in contact with will be Slowed for Y duration (due to slipperyness) and while the attack effect is over the unit it is effectively immobile (Soo slippery!).
Edit: Oh wait Nautical, one sec
Edit2: Mmkay
Edit3: Names bad but whatever

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
WELL... If the units passing by are all going to be swimmers (ships or creatures) i guess you could have:

Tower One: Sharp Rocks
Deals periodic damage to units passing over
Or/ And(upon upgrading)
slows units above
Or/And
% chance to deal damage when units are passing over... <-- That would be best i think

(An idea would be to deal damage on % of speed of units)

Tower Two: Leviathans Passage
Disable this towers ability to 'stop' or 'target' specific enemies, instead give it an AoE skill it casts when first built at a target of the players choice. This AoE is then periodically attacked by Leviathan dealing large damage in the area. I would use the soul steal animation for the effect...
Upgrade would just increase the rate of fire or AoE?

Tower Three: Damned Shores
This is an idea i once used reapplied now for a TD
Building this is building two different units (point one and point two)
Ghost travels between both points as long as both stand and has either pheonix fire skill or perm locust to damage nearby ships. The effectiveness of this tower is limited by both range of skills and damage of skills. I think this idea is cool because i havnt seen it applied in a TD and you could branch it between two sides of the maze... If you make the ghost a locust unit you can order it to patrol between both points - have a trigger that destroys this ghost and the other tower if the initial tower is destroyed.

Tower Four: Strange Tides?
Push-back type skill tower. Blasts units with a wave of water that pushes them back x distance every time period for y seconds.

Tower Five: The Fog
for this tower you would use the smoke screen animation for either the tower itself or its attack projectile (or a buff the attack leaves). Would either slow/stop units, decrease armor, poison/burn or if you think of something better it could do that :)

Tower Six: Spirit of Mutany
Can periodically take control (charm) units passing through if they are boats or whatever

Towers that compliment each other are always nice
Tower Seven: Oil (rename)
soaks ships in oil reducing their speed or whatever...

Tower Eight; Ring of Fire
Burn damage, if ship has oil buff deal more damage and for longer duration...

That's all i have for today. I used to play a few TD's and i think a GREAT idea is the boss waves where they attack. Now i may have been completely wrong but if you DO have ships as the 'runners' i would suggest giving the boss waves ships a pheonix fire ability so it appears that they are shooting as they are running down. This can be hard to balance but it keeps the game fresh and makes it much more challenging.

Hope this helped... Just burning time while my next uni class starts.

- Zenith

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
If you wer like me and didn't know what nautical meant, here's the definition:

nau·ti·cal? ?/?n?t?k?l, ?n?t?-/
[naw-ti-kuhl, not-i-]
–adjective
of or pertaining to sailors, ships, or navigation: nautical terms.

Happy

Reaction score
NoNameYet-Tower :D :

attack : none
Specials : it has no attack but if you build 2 or more of them you can "link" them. means if the 2 towers are in 600 (or whatever you like) range you can link them and a line of water is thrown between them.

so for understanding you build one nothing happens. you build a second one in X range and use an ability of the tower you link them. from that moment a ball of water flies from the first to the second tower and then back again and back to first and so on. and this ball deals damage to units in his way. maybe add slow. and you cant use the link more than 2 times on the same tower. means you can have 4 balls flying between 2 towers.

i hope you got the idea and like it :D

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Whirlpool
Built in-lane. The first unit that enters it gets trapped and becomes unable to move, but has increased regeneration.

Storm Cloud
Built in-lane. Can be walked under. Slows and deals periodic damage to enemies in a small area around it. When taking damage, units have a 15% chance to become stunned for 1 second.

Flying Dutchman
Mobile, uncontrollable. Deals damage to units upon contact, periodically releases ghostly spirits that slow nearby units for 6 seconds.
Basically it flies around the lane.

NoobImbaPro

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Linker
Low light damage tower. There is 5% chance to do x3 critical damage. Every Linker tower built increases all other Linkers critical chance by 3% in 600 Radius. So 3 linkers that have maximum distance 600 together have 11% chance to critically hit their targets.

Woodoom
A wood based tower with the powers given by Ogun. Creates up to 5 orbs circling the tower at 500 unchangeable distance. Each orb has 1350 health. When an orb makes a full circle increases its health by 32% of its current hp. Every orb deals DOT damage over a 250 radius.
Damage is based on its current health, it deals 7% of its max hp per second to a target every second losing the same amount of life at the same time.
If the orb dies increases the life of other living orbs by 50% of their max hp and respawns after 6 seconds. Then the remaining orbs are repositioned to have the same angle difference. (5 orbs 72 degrees difference, 4 orbs 90 degrees difference ....etc)

Magic Tower
Releases projectiles towards target, making them stronger every time they hit the same target. The damage increases by 15%. The buff that indicates the unit to get bonus damage fades after 3 seconds. Uses mana as a resource to attack. has normal mana regeneration.
(Note: Using jesus4lyf's BuffStruct will make it a piece of cake)

Dirac

Reaction score
Bump this thread.

I want very creative / hard to code towers (if your idea isn't nautical, post it, ill adapt it to the theme), Ex:

Fisherman's Outpost
Creates a net between 2 fisherman's outpost towers, whenever a unit goes through the net it will stretch and slow the unit down until it breaks, the net lasts 3 seconds.\

Good ideas will be taken into account and will receive +rep

Happy

Reaction score
Fisherman:

This tower fishes for creeps. its slow but strong. Whenever it fished a creeps the creeps is lifted into the air (you could trigger the fishing rod to make it look intresting ^^) moved a bit to the fisherman and afterwards its cut off the rod and fall down instandly dying (or if you like it more deals high dmg) and deals medium damage to enemiies in 250 range of the point it was thrown at.

EDIT:

Puddle:

Built in lane. Slows creeps running through it by 25%.

Snowman:

does nothing without puddle. the snowman freezes all creeps in the puddles every X seconds for 2 seconds. X is (10 x number of puddles) - (2 x level of upgrade). you can upgrade this freezing up to 3 times.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Kelp
Plants kelp at the target point, which grows into its active state after 5 seconds. When active, any units that come into contact with it become hopelessly entangled. Lasts until 2 seconds after the 5th unit gets entangled in it.

inevit4ble

Reaction score
Privateer
Can only target units on either side of it (as ship's cannons). Targets that enter the target zone get pummeled by cannon balls, causes slight knock back.

Admiral
Having the admiral near a building increases its morale and damaging potential. Increases towers damage, speed, can give bash, etc depending on which upgrades are active which individually cost.

Kraken
A monstrous beast able to devour its targets whole. Grabs the closest enemy and begins eating it until its finished then grabs the next.

TheOverWhelm

Reaction score
Boarding Party (Possible renaming to Captain's Grove)
Creates 1 boarding party ship with a Captain[captain] and X sailors (depending on structure level, hero-based (players spend money to crease the boarding party), possibly 2 per level) at the location of the tower at the beginning of every wave. Boarding Party is a ship that moves to the closest enemy target, which then boards them.

This slows down both ships movement for [mathematical equation depending on tower level and Captain level]. Does X damage every second to the boarded ship, doing less as the boarding party ship itself is hurt (coded by the damage of the other ship, possibly a wavelevel-based damage) due to the defensive parties. This however works both ways.
The Captain gains levels per kill the ship gets. Each level the captain gets increases the boarding party by 1 and the ships boarding damage by X amount.

During waves of non-ships the ship shoots a ballista out the side of the ship into the creature, slowing it down and dealing little innate-damage. The ship can not maintain the stress and does X damage to it per second based on creature speed. The higher the level of the Boarding Party structure the more stress the ship can take. The Captain Level divided by Y means how many targets the ship can hit at once (optional, just an idea to factor in Captain level).

Independently, there can be a Phoenix Fire effect per crew member (Guns!) on the ship or based on the amount of cannons (Bigger Guns!). Can have the Captain's Level be special and be Guns instead of crewmembers, with every 5 being an additional cannon. Or have that for the Tower^_^ Whichever sounds more appealing

When the ship dies the Captain swims away from the destroyed ship (small pathing blocker?) and heads to (land?) where it'll get back into the Boarding Party structure. If level has begun since then, head off with new ship (or wait until next one, or have a ship-building cost).

Tips n' Tricks: Use some floating text above the structure to show Captain's Level and Boarding Party crew. and Ballistae damage.

Possible Cool Features: Seagul Friendly, Seaguls follow the ship if nearby (See: Seagul Tower)

Well, there's my idea.

Many possible addons could be based on the structure, like a better-ship, and have towers react to the Ship, IE the Seagul Friendly idea. Possibly make it so Damned Shores (see Give me Rep's post) could follow the ship itself and then default to another location. Even Admiral from Inevitable's post could assist.

Hell, could even upgrade the tower, thereby resetting it all (even the Captain) and then give it different pros. Of course, some of the aspects would change if your ships attack.

Another is:
Giant Squid
Constructs a unit that instantly turns into an angry Squid thing that patrols the lanes, attacking whoever it gets near. Includes Boarding Party. May ignore certain unit types, like if other Squids come.

inevit4ble

Reaction score
Hurricane
Moves in a systematic process around the map causing various effects which changes periodically.
Effects:
Lightning storm - Zaps units within range randomly dealing damage
Tornado - Throws a unit up into the air disorientating it and making it "dizzy" (slowing) and causes minor damage on impact
Whirlpool - Flings units in aoe in a circular motion sucking them in to a central point then once they each the center they are blasted outwards in all directions (stun-like effect)
Sunshine - Gives bonus attack speed and damage to towers but also increases creeps movement speed
Gail Force Winds - Every X secs it knocks creeps slightly and gives towers a slight change to miss

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
Tower name: Kelp Forest
Tower Description: This tower deals little damage but has strongly disabling effects, its abilities include: Entanglement - this tower has a chance to create a winding kelp vine that entangles enemies it touches for 1 second, bouncing to nearby enemies (max of... 5? u choose); Restricted Flow - Stops the tide of movement in the nearby area, the closer you are the slower you move (3 abilities based off whirlwind aura, all a % of your choice but with smaller ranges than the previous because it stacks)

Tower name: The Black Pearl
Description: A ship piloted by swarthy pirates. They steal and plunder and kill and drink while piloting the fastest ship in all the 7 seas. (this is an extremely fast attacking ship) It only has 1 ability: Drunk and Disorderly - This tower has a small chance to do 1 of several effects on every attack (ie: cause drunkeness, large slow and causes units to zigzag while they walk 3% chance; Dubloons!, steals gold based on the (health of the unit/damage done/level/your choice) 3%; plunder, causes items to drop instantly (chance on attack to give the owner an item) 3%; Walk the plank, has a chance to instantly kill its target, 1%) this totals a 10% chance to do one of these effects

Tower name: Captain Nemo and the nautilus
tower description: Captain nemo is one of the technological wonders of the world, piloting his pride and glory, the nautilus. This tower has amazing versatility, based on the user's decision (will have 2 abilities to go 1 way or the other). They can choose to use captain nemos ingenious and quick thinking to increase attack speed and reduce crit damage but increase crit chance, or they can choose to use the nautilus's destructive but uncontrollable power and increase damage and crit damage but decrease crit chance, the max any of these values can get to is 75% (crit damage starts at 2x but can get to 3.5x [75% increase])

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
Poseidon
The god of the ocean. Controls the eb and flow of everything in the area. Abilities: each of these has a global cooldown, thus only 1 can be in effect at a time per poseidon. Calm winds - Causes all towers nearby to be temporarily hasted; Tsunami - Causes crushing waves all around poseidon to destroy his enemies, however this disables nearby towers causing them to slow their attacks by 50% (best used on mass enemies with high armor); Trident Gaugue (gow-j idk how to spell it) - causes a single enemy to begin to bleed, causing it to have a chance to take extra damage every time it takes another blow.

Red October
A soviet war machine that destroyed it's enemies underneath the sea with torpedos and sonar. Abilities: Mass torpedos - causes this ship to hit everything in range; Sonar - allows the user to see all enemies in a large area (truesight)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.