The most promising projects currently?

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
god why is it that if the word dota is ever mention in a post it turns into a flame fest >.>

^ The reason we have a rule on it: No "DotA Suckz", no "DotA Rulez".

I really couldn't care less that you play DotA. The baffling part is that you consider all other projects/maps to have failed.

I think there are very few projects to have had 'success'. Very little has come from this site, probably because of the orientation of the site. Most people come here to learn how to map, few stay here to help others or start projects. However, because so many people who are learning how to map are starting projects, few people can find good help. This is one of the main reasons I have asked for so little help in my own map, except for testing and people to play the game.

In reality, nearly all projects HAVE failed, simply because the task is overwhelming. They can't split up the labor, because they can't find dedicated mappers.

Take a look at your own maps. How many have you created that actually get hosted? Zero? One? How many have you created that you have stopped working on altogether? Seven? Twenty? In my map folder, I have had twelve really good ideas, and I've abandoned eleven of them. That's not counting my spells, systems, terraining maps, etc. In total, I've created roughly 62 different maps. Of those, only 6 are good projects submitted to this site (systems, spells, maps), and of those, only one is an actual playable map I am working on.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I really couldn't care less that you play DotA. The baffling part is that you consider all other projects/maps to have failed.

Well, they have. Very few have gathered some fans, and the ones who have have died. Some exeptions, however are footman frenzy, castle fight and perhaps warlocks, but like i said... Truth is that there aren't really that many good maps. Or just the good maps aren't discovered by many people. Either way, there aren't that many sucsessfull projects.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
You just havent discovered all the cool maps. There is shitloads of cool maps, but most of them are never hosted in public, because most of guys in bnet just play dota.

Darthfett

Reaction score
Well, they have. Very few have gathered some fans, and the ones who have have died. Some exeptions, however are footman frenzy, castle fight and perhaps warlocks, but like i said... Truth is that there aren't really that many good maps. Or just the good maps aren't discovered by many people. Either way, there aren't that many sucsessfull projects.

I consider successful maps to be the maps that continue to be hosted even after a few years.

Games like line tower wars, wintermaul, sheep tag, battleships, and other similar maps. These maps are popular, even if its not one specific version that people play. The ideas are still there, and that's what matters.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Well, i am sorry but i have to disagree with you Darthfett.

For every map i make i draw out what i find to be successful. I don't think they all group together at least in my eyes. Your right thought about many maps never been finished, but some times it takes serverl attempts to learn and get it right. And for the ones that never get a successful map, didn't mean they didn't enjoy there time mapping.

For me, I have had 3 real projects that got fairly far.

Tetris:
Goal: 250,000 plays
Act: 5-20k plays
Failed: Yes

I learned alot about maping. Also Had fun

Battle Trains:
Goal: 250,000 plays
Act: 1-5k plays
Failed: Yes

I learned that the learning curve must be fairly low. I had fun for the first 2/3 of working on it.

Roller Coaster:
Goal:rank 100th to 1000th best game for the next 12 months, 25-400 games a day.
Act: Unfinshed So far.
Failed: N/A

I have learned a great deal, having a blast, and getting better at having servel people work on a map.

If I hit my mark on any of my games i feel that it is a successful game, just because it doesn't last for years and isn't one of the best game out doesn't mean my game failed.

I Got a butt load of help on the helper from asking questions, and i tried not to ask things that i could figure out less then 1 hr. Even if my other projects didn't hit there marks and weren't successful in my eyes, they did prove as great stepping stones.

But i understand to you success is something different then the way i see it. Thats fine just a difference in the way we see it.

Darthfett

Reaction score
Well, i am sorry but i have to disagree with you Darthfett.

For every map i make i draw out what i find to be successful. I don't think they all group together at least in my eyes. Your right thought about many maps never been finished, but some times it takes serverl attempts to learn and get it right. And for the ones that never get a successful map, didn't mean they didn't enjoy there time mapping.

I see that as a personal success, in learning to make maps, rather than a success in making a popular and fun game that many will enjoy.

I certainly think I've had many personal successes, but the amount of fun maps that people play and host online was what I was referring to.

Minotaur's Labyrinth - Learned how the editor works

Castle Defense - Learned basic triggers, object editor

Dynamite TD - Learned extensive triggers, learned what people enjoy, learned why some maps are successful and some aren't, learned a little about balancing, and about why people don't like repeated ideas.

Fortress Defense (Rebuff of Castle Defense) - Learned how to do decent looking terrain.

Vengence Minion - Learning how to make a map look professional, learned basic JASS, custom spells

Forest CTF - Learned further how to balance things, and how everything affects it. Learned Advanced JASS (was before I posted the project on this site), vJASS.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Just becuase a map doesn't become wildly popular does not mean it failed.

I don't think its really possible, at this point, to make a wildly popular map.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Some maps really require some teamwork, thats why they are rarely hosted publicly in bnet.

edit. I remember that warlock was pretty popular recently for some time.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.