Time for a new graphics card. But I need help.

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
So my current graphics card is a 7300LE which isn't very ideal for playing games.

I would like to get a 8800 of some sort and I'm not sure if my current mother board, or PSU can support such a graphics card.

I went into my Nvidia settings and looked up my graphics card Bus. Which is a PCI Express x16. I honestly have no clue what that truly means. So I was wondering if a 8800 would be able to fit into that kind of slot. I believe an 8800 is a PCI Express 2.0 (this is a guess from looking at it online last night) but I heard it would work in a normal PCI Express slot.

I am not a computer wizard and really have no clue if it would fit or not, or be compatible with the current PCI Express slot i have now. I am also not sure if the 8800 would require more power than my current Power Supply Unit is putting out now for the 7300LE.

tl;dr;

So my question in a nut shell is. Would an 8800 fit in a PCI Express x16 slot?
Would my computer be able to put enough power to run a 8800?
I'm not sure what it's current watt output is, I believe i would have to open the case to find out. If i dont have to open it, is there a website or a more simpler way to give you guys that wattage??

If you need more information just ask.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
PCI Express 2.0 x16 is what almost every new graphics card fits into, and what almost every new motherboard has on it. It sounds like you've got what you need, as far as what the motherboard needs.

As far as how much power, I don't know if there is any way to detect the PSU aside from opening the case (or looking it up, if you have a model number). I'm not an expert on how much power you'll need to support your system, either, so I'll let someone more experienced answer that question, when/if you find out the wattage of your PSU.

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
So I did some more research.

The 8800 GT has :
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 105 W
Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 400 W

Mine is 350 Watts max Power Supply Unit http://www.itwinkle.com/hp35posu51.html

I'm assuming that wouldn't work, am I correct?

Any how. I think I ran into another problem.

I'm not sure if my current monitor can attach to the graphics card for the display. The required DVI hook-up doesn't look similar to what the card would have.

Monitor: HP 2009m http://www.pcworld.com/product/57086/hp_2009m.html?p=specs

The graphics card has a DVI like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DVI_pinout.svg

My monitor has a DVI like this (DVI-D Dual link(4th one down) (But it doesnt have the - on the left its just a block of plastic) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

If you probably look at the specs of the 8800 GT and my monitor and PSU would probably be way more understandable than me trying to explain.

8800 GT http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_8800_gt_us.html

My Monitor http://www.pcworld.com/product/57086/hp_2009m.html?p=specs

My PSU
http://www.itwinkle.com/hp35posu51.html

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
The PSU isn't powerful enough
from the specs page you linked above:
Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin & 8-pin
your PSU has neither of those connections, and while there are adapters, this would be a bad place for them.

The monitor / video card will hook up properly on the other hand with a DVI cable, but are you sure your monitor connects with a DVI cable? I think its more likely you are using a VGA cable - there are cheap adapters to change a DVI output into a VGA output (usually included with video cards), or you can just buy a DVI cable, this shouldn't be an issue

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
My monitor has a VGA and DVI adapters.

Is there a PSU that you would recommend for a 9800GTX graphics card?

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
Thank you for the PSU suggestion.

I see that the 8series and 9series are not easy to come buy on like newegg.

Is there a really good 200 or 400 series nvidia cards that would work in my computer. I'm gonna get a new PSU, I'm just wondering if the PCI Express x16 slot would be an issue for any of those cards. Also I know that some series cards are better than others. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:Edit:
Looking over the website a bit more would the GTX 260 be a good graphics card??
Or would one of the 400 series be better??
To my knowledge i know some cards are better than others.

Thanks!!!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
what is your budget for the graphics card + PSU?

this seems like a good combo right now if you don't mind rebates

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
That is the most beautiful combination I have ever seen.

My only question is and I dont doubt you but is the GeForce GTS 250 a good graphics card??

Also that is probably the cheapest combo I have seen yet from what I have been browsing personally. I don't have a problem w/ rebates, I'm usually good with that stuff.

:confused: Before I forget would this PSU you listed fit into this tower here. d4650y HP Tower Type.
http://origin-www.smartdevicecentral.com/slide/HP+Pavilion+d4650y/190122_193868_3_0.aspx

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
My only question is and I dont doubt you but is the GeForce GTS 250 a good graphics card??

it's slightly faster then the 8800 ultra/9800 gtx - see this as to why: it's the same GPU except it had a die shrink and clocks slightly faster

it will fit, judging from that picture

Pie_Crust

Reaction score
Ok, so when I get a new graphics card how would i go about installing it??

Should I uninstall the old driver.
Put the new card in.
Then install the new driver??

Or is there another way of doing it?

I just dont want to screw things up.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
what is your budget for the graphics card + PSU?

this seems like a good combo right now if you don't mind rebates

wow you would end up getting them both for $78. that is very cheap.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Ok, so when I get a new graphics card how would i go about installing it??

Should I uninstall the old driver.
Put the new card in.
Then install the new driver??

Or is there another way of doing it?

I just dont want to screw things up.

You can do that. Probably isn't necessary, but better safe than sorry.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
What would be better?? I just dont want to mess anything up.

the way you described is probably the "safest" way, but I would say you would be fine just switching the cards and then installing the driver (no need to un-install the previous one first..), since you are going form a nvidia card to a nvidia card

what you will need to do:
0. grab the newest graphics driver for your new card from nvidia and save it to the desktop (for easy access, you can delete it later)
1. turn off the computer normally, and then from the PSU switch as well
2. unplug the monitor/PSU (and any other cables that may get in the way)
3. open it up
4. unplug the PSU from everything
5. take out the screws holding the PSU - there are usually 4 that are taken out from the outside
6. take the PSU out
7. take out the old graphics card
7.a - unscrew the screw holding it to the case
7.b - open the latch/etc. from the motherboard
7.c - take the card out
(8?) - you will probably need to take off an additional backplate panel off the case, since these are all double-slot cards and what you currently have is most likely a single-slot card, taking this off depends on the case but usually involves unscrewing a screw and then pushing/pulling it sideways a bit to get it out
9. put your card in using the old screws
10. put your new PSU in using the old screws
11. connect new PSU to everything that the old PSU connected to + the graphics card
12. reconnect everything
13. power on - you will probably boot in a reduced resolution mode, this is normal
14. install new graphics driver
15. restart
16. ???
17. profit

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
A 8800 requires a AGP slot. Unless of course you don't mean the Radeon 8800.

Also, why not get a 9800 GT(X)? It's relatively ancient, and shouldn't cost much more. I even have a few laying around. EDIT; nvm just remembered that article about how the 9800's were just rebrands of the 8800.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.