What are YOU looking in an RPG game?

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Okay, im working on an rpg but Im wondering what people are looking for in an average rpg, such as like a basic, but good storyline? Well made world? Whats YOUR opinion?

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Everything.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
a good inventory/equipment system with nice items to use
not too large map size
some challenging bosses
a good system that would allow everyone to get the xp/gold they deserve instead of giving both to the fastest player (usually the host)

Reaction score
What makes me stay and play an rpg, and not leave after 10 minutes is many many quests around every corner, even if they are easy to complete.
I like also a nice looking starting town with friendly NPCs and some pathetic creeps nearby for building up my confidence :).
Also I love fighting smart bosses who know how to use the terrain and the surrounding to their advantage.
Oh, and include secrets, and respect your players, don't use your mapmaking powers just to insult them...

What makes me leave are boring areas with nothing to do or see besides more and more enemies of the same type(just like in most open RPGs, I hate open RPGs, lol).

I

i-SCREAM

What keeps me playing the same RPG over and over again is the tens of hundreds of choices of heroes. A good mapmaker should make like 40 different heroes.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
a save/load code, enemy's that run away after there like under 10% hp, things that prevent people from powerleveling, no annoying camera modifyers, a pvp system, items that u cant just steal, the person who did the most damage gets gold (NOT THE PERSON WHO STEALS THE KILL)(and the items), and items that arent just improvements compared to others, a save/load code that saves exp not level, and balanced hero's, not mages who suck after the creeps get more then 1000 hp, and no spells like blink, wind walk, bash, and devine shield that just make the map gay or easy to get thru. also it needs creep area's that arent just squares, squares = very gay looking.

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
I will quit instantly if it is linear and boring (not mutually exclusive).

I like freedom, so don't make anything invincible (I enjoy killing everything else) :D.

I like cool and weird items, so no 200 of "Speed Demon +200 speed LOLOLOL!!!111" and similar items, but more "this will switch your position with another unit in the map!" or "this will make you look smaller" type items.

Boss should be balanced and fun to play with: not "200,000 HP invincible final boss that requires 20,000 hits to kill", but "20 HP 100% evasion boss that you'll need to use spell on to kill". Any boss that requires me to hit him more than 1000 times and/or use more than 100 potions (both on similar level bosses, not "level 1 me on final boss") will bore me out and cause me to type "whosyourdaddy" to end my/its suffering.

I don't mind walking that much, but if I have to walk across the 192x192 confusion map to deliver something, that will annoy me. Make good teleport portals to the main town (which should be near the center) after I explored the area and/or killed the boss that guards it.

Creep should be created relative to my level, not fixed across the map -- I have seen level 1 on 1 side of the road and level 15 on the other side, because I can't access the other side early on in the game.

H

h3r1n6

-Challenging bosses that require unique tactics and teamplay

-Creative heroes with a lot of spells

-No need of farming

-Many areas with many different enemies (included in point 3 :) )

-balanced heroes with different roles (standard would be healer, tank and magic/physical single target/aoe damage dealer)

Dregonx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
My favorite kind of RPGs are....

===Storyline===
I like ones with long storylines, a very detailed and creative storyline. Cinematic videos and camera angles with sound and all of it is good.
===Quests===
I love quests on RPGs it gives you something to do besides grinding off of killing stuff all day, (That doesn't mean killing the stuff isn't fun lol, it just means questing gives you something else to do) They need to be updated everytime the quest changes, I hate trying to figure it out myself lol. I really like it also when the quest tells you what your getting for doing the quest, like "Rewards: 100g, and 2000 exp", so that way I know I'm not doing this quest for nothing lol.
===Bosses===
Bosses are alot of fun, I don't want no boss that does 10000000 damage where its basically a 1% chance of surrvival against it, now bosses with 10000000 health now that I can do :), the bosses need to be challenging, I don't want them to act like a normal unit where all they do is sit there and attack you over and over all day and if your strong enough you can easily win, I always like fighting bosses that seem like they actually know what they are doing for example they use AoE on random areas around you making you have to move around during the fight to avoid taking extra unneeded damage.
===Floating Text===
I like it when it tells me how much exp I get from killling something or how much gold (or whatever kind of money) I get from killing something.
===Abilitys===
I really like it when the text of an ability is readable, meaning propper grammer and such. Same goes for items and other readable things. I really like abilitys that have some special effects to them, simple abilitys like storm bolt is kinda plain and simple... now if it was a fireball that fires out after a few seconds and then blows up in an explosion around the target now that's what im talking about lol.
===Items===
I like it when there is multiple items, like helms, chest armor, gloves, boots, a weapon, shields necklaces rings and potions. Possibly scrolls too. Also really text is just a huge thing for items, if they have a custom color for their name that always makes it look nice, and a good selection of the icons too.
===Secrets===
Not cheats. But I do like it when any game has secrets to it, especially in RPGs for example like a secret quest that you can get by talking to some guy that you had to save a few quests ago and he says kill some strange boss and you kill it and get a secret item, kinda like that.

That's pretty much it for me, as a matter of fact I am making an RPG with all of the above lol.

rtatpi

Reaction score
i enjoy rpgs that have a storyline but also enough content that you don't always have to pursue the storyline if you get tired of it.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
i reckon EVERYTHING but a better story line is always good and interestin and puttin it on a poll is a good idea :D

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
-Storyline - Should be either the main part of the game, or not in the game at all. For example, don't just say that the murlocs are an old race of bad guys that want to kill you, add in a storyline, and possible points in for more plots, to leave the player wanting to play more, and see more of the storyline. If you don't have time to make a storyline, then you can't have anything less than awesome for any of the other parts of the game:

-Unique strategies and abilities. (Please don't use the regular abilities, most of them are used waay too much, like critical strike).

-Constantly changing game, but without ruining the sense of "accomplishment" for the player. In other words, you can change my hero, and you can remove my abilities. Just don't decrease my level/experience, don't remove my other units, don't remove my items, and don't decrease my resources.

-Give enough lives to where I will actually lose, and want to play it again, but to where I won't beat everything before I actually lose them all. Make it so that the game will be rehosted, but so that it lasts long enough to where I won't think that hosting is too much of a bother. This includes adding too many custom models, and skins that are useless. 1.5 MB is usually too much for a map, and takes too long to download.

-Interesting terrain

-Make stuff repeatable, and constantly getting harder, but have enough stuff in it to where it's fun to go through everything again.

Reaction score
--Randomness! Everything should be a bit random, including the storyline (randomity adds replay value, too!)

--Not so much fighting! I want to use my brains, not wait for a boss to die and use my hyperactive fingers to consume 14 potions and click on boring abilities.

--Fun! Add weird little things in your map, they are always nice :)

--Changes! A game that doesn't change it's idea even one time is kinda boring, we don't want to just fight trough the whole game (or atleast I don't).

--Ideas! Something that we haven't seen before is ALWAYS a good thing. Always. Even if it is crappy (okay, then it's not, I'll take the "always" back :p)

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
If I wanted to play a RPG I would play World of Warcraft. But for Warcraft I'm looking for a RPG that is open but has some sort of story to follow. There should be a Save/Load Code Funtion. Next is not to have dungeons with 10,000 creeps that look exactly the same. Another thing is to be able to atleast Pretend that you live a normal life... Please no urber heros or bosses. And another thing is let a person have a job like... Blacksmith or Farmer and stuff like that. Adds Flavor and stuff. Also have a few custom model's here and there and maybe Change the UI. And the last thing I would like to say is DO NOT make a RPG like Defiances PLEASE.

I OWN AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!

rayquaza218

Reaction score
Spells, i hate to see a whole hero fileld with stuff that they call "inferno storm"

and im like whoa that must be cool, when i get there i find that its a piece of shit non triggered ability based on locusts... No. 1 rules of spell making, thunder bolt pisses people off... U don't own u dipshit! I OWN!!!! AND REP MEEE

Asehujiko

Reaction score
i generaly like single player rpg's more because all multiplayer stuff always tends to have atleast 1 tome stealer or the equivalant thereof

what i like:
story(duh)
fun abilities
easter eggs
challenging bosses
side quests

what i dont like:
a hero with 4 modificaion based on stormbolt
bosses with 10000000health and 10000000 armor and 1000000 attack and spell immune
linearity(u start here, u walk there, kill a boss, u follow the path, kill another boss, follow the path again, kill another boss)
heroes with 2 health and bosses with 3 health
a mutiplayer style that allows ppl to steal, ruin other pls stuff(warchasers and tomes :banghead: )

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
1. tombes
2. ez powerleveling
3. bosses with 10000 hp and 500 damage and no ability's, no micro, anything
4. square regions (put the extra effort in and dont make them square)
5. basic spells with modified stats (change the art atleast)
6. non % spells sucking later on (make them do damage based on stats/level)
7. imported models are cool, even though they take up room
8. do a decent job terraining, not just a maze with 1 path
9. make some sort of bounty system so people cant steal shit
10. save/load code
11. story
12. quests that arent just go pwn a boss and bring back his head
13. spell immune bosses = bad
14. bosses with little or no hp regen = bad (suicide 50 times and kill them?)
15. dont make "secret hero's" that are extremly unbalanced compared to the rest, make all of them playable and not just get this hero - the rest suck
16. pvp system
17. no game - breaker spells (bash, wind walk, blink, etc.) dont make the game like dark lineage where u can blink off the map and steal items from the "shops" or permabash like some hero arena's or legendary hero's
18. make sure your new players dont go fight level 25 creeps and get owned as the first thing they do
19. upgrades
20. make unique abilitys for items, not just damage and stat bonuses
21. no annoying camera modes. they fucking piss me off.
22. floating text showing stats (damage, exp, gold, etc.)
23. id suggest makeing random quests avalible, and not in any prearranged order (5 quests - level 3 quest, level 10 quest, level 20 quest, level 25 quest, and level 40 quest = bad)

i just summed up what some others said 2

L

LedZepplin

What really grinds my gears, is when RPG's have items that increase stats by a hell of a lot. Such as in CoT RPG, the Penguin Orb in the second one. I can sorta see these items more towards end game with really powerful heroes and you need to tackle really tough bosses. However, to get the Penguin Orb all you got to do is kill a weak nerubian boss and then boom, you have +2000 damage and a slowing attack. Mostly people covered what i think is good within an RPG game but this grinds my gears the most.

Also, in Angel of Death RPG, I played for maybe 20 minutes and was able to kill ridiculously overpowered monsters with ease after receiving uber items that increase my damage and life by huge amounts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.