Final Battlefront 1

HailCommi

Reaction score
Final Battlefront 1:

I started this thing 2 years ago (this was my first WC project ever). About a year ago I accidentally cleaned out the project during a formating and gave up on the project. Couple of months ago I found a backup copy of it on my drive and I promised myself to finish it. Though there are some trace elements of it being a very noob map, I tried to integrate my experience to make this game design more mature. That being said, I am in heavy need of testers, suggestions, comments, criticisms. Please read this intro over. If you are interested, play the map. After that, if you are interested in making regular contributions, please sign up as a beta tester. Thanks a lot :D

loadcf0.jpg

Intro: (ripped right off of the load screen :p)

Some years after the Battle of Mount Hyjal, remnants of the old Orcish Bleeding Hollow Clan, corrupted by Kil'Jaeden, regrouped after years of scattering and dispersion, convinced that the Humans should pay for imprisoning them. Kil'Jaeden also ordered the Lich King to gather up what's left of his army after Mount Hyjal to join the Bleeding Hollow Orcs. Over the years, their combined efforts managed to corrupt, overtake, and annex most of the Orcish Factions.
Meanwhile, Alliance spies monitored Horde activities. When the Humans found out that large battlegroups were being trained in scattered encampments, they immediatly launched assaults, hoping to eliminate the threat before it gets worse. The Night Elves joined the Humans and soon Azeroth was in total war. This map takes place in the final decisive battles. Choose over 26 Heroes, command over 44 types of units, and fight over 10 control points. The outcome of the ultimate conflict is at your fingertips.

Gameplay:
- 8 players choose from 2 factions to side with (Alliance and Horde)
- 4 races: Humans and Night elves on Alliance, and UD and Orc on Horde
- There are 4 towns, one for each race

The Undead town Naxxramas with the main Citadel in the back. The view is locked to second-person (via in-game command) to get a better view.
udtownmm9.jpg

- Players choose a Hero to start off with (hero selection distinct for each race)
- Players build their army by buying Mercenary at towns. Different races have different Merc selections as well
- Factions win the game by killing both of the other faction's towns

Economics:
- 2 types of currency: Gold and Silver

- Gold is used for hiring Mercs and buying Items

- Silver is mainly used for buying upgrades and Items

- There are also Command Points - AKA food

- Primary income of Gold and Silver are from Control Points. There are 10 Control Points on the map. A player capture control by getting a hero to go near it. When a control point is captured, a Control Crystal will be created for that player. Crystals give 4 Gold and Silver per sec for ALL members of the allied faction. It also gives the owner of the faction Command Points (food, which are needed to support larger armies). The Crystal also serves several strategic purposes such as healing units, creating towers around themselves. Also, fallen heroes can be revived at Crystals.

A Control Crystal:
cpgc2.jpg

- Secondary income is a payment that comes every game-day (540 seconds ish) This amount does not change.

- Players can convert their currency between Gold and Silver. The exchange rate is dynamic and changes depending on the game economy

- That being said, cautious players can also make money by just trading. For example, if I just killed a bunch of enemy units and I have a bunch of Silver Coins, I can convert some of my silver into gold. This is because the player I just killed will need to rehire his Mercs which will eat up a lot of Gold, and since there will be less gold coins, they will worth more. So after my enemy buys his Mercs, I can convert the Gold that I just traded off back to Silver and end up with more Silver than I originally traded for.

- There is a limit to exchange rates to prevent economic collapse

Military Gameplay:
- This game gives a lot of power to players to customize their units:

- Most general way of customize your army is buying smth called "Strategies", basically global auras that affect non-hero allied units. There are 5 strategies to choose from. Changing strategies requires a small payment.

- Players can also customize their army by buying upgrades. There are a total of 11 TYPES of upgrades. Some can be upgraded 10 times, some only onces. Some are general upgrades, some upgrades affect only particular class of Mercs.

- The ultimate level of customization is throughs something called "Tactics". "Tactics" are a set of passive skills (Crit, bash, feedback, eva, etc.) Most Mercs have abilities that allows them to rotate through tactics. Each unit can use only one Tactic at any given time. This basically allows the players to customize their army down to INDIVIDUAL UNITS, literally :)D). For instance, I can have my ranged units on Bash Tactic to suppress enemy units, my melee tanks on Evasion to help them take more hits, then a couple of fast cavalry units on Poison Tactic flanking my enemy so I can chase them down. That was just a really bad example :p. Those of you who can micro well will probably have more sophisticated setup than that. My point is, players have a lot of power over what their Mercs can do.

An Night Elf Tier 3 Cavalry using Envenomed Weapons Tactic. The Strategy used is "Logistics Strategy"
stratexd1.jpg

- Mercs can also hold up to 1 item. Further allowing players to customize their army.

- There is a built-in Morale system built into the game. Faction that is clearly winning the battle will have higher morale. Losing faction have negative morale that will recover over time as long as they dont keep losing more men/control points. High morale will give Mercs bonus attack speed and movement speed. Low Morale have penalty for these stats. There are 7 Morale classes (in ascending order): Collapsed, Exhausted, Weakened, Neutral, Strong, Fervid, Berserk.

A Screeny showing Morales:
moralees7.jpg

- There is a built-in Weather system. There are a total of 5 weather types: clear, snow, rain, thunderstorm, and hurricane. Each have their own different effect onto the battlefield.

Wind Storm - one of the worst weathers for players initiating surprise attacks
weatheref2.jpg

- There is a PvP arena where players can face each other 1 on 1 with their heroes.

PvP Arena Snap Shot:
pvpwz9.jpg

Try it out!
- Above was a VERY brief (if not confusing) summary of what the game is. Please play the map if you are interested. There is a more detailed guide in the Quest section. Also, I'm planning to make a single-player tutorial mode for this map (see below).

Development Potential:
Features that I plan to add:

- Better Terrain work (I know I know, I'm still working on it)
- Boss Arena (its already in the game, just not accessible yet)
- Kick system
- Tutorial Mode
- Exile/defect feature, allowing players to switch factions
- More heroes (open to suggestions)
- AI
- Map Optimization

Need testers!
I really need a couple of testers to try out some of the features. I've been as thorough as I can with this map, but some features I simply cant test by my self, and my clan's being jackasses. If you are interested in this map and is willing to contribute, simply express your interest either here or via pm (PLEASE play it first though).

Also, any comments/criticism are welcomed on this thread. Any constructive comments are appreciated, but I need specific suggestions on the following:
- Hero, Mercs, and ability balancing
- Item Pricing (the current prices are estimates that I pulled out of my ass, I would guess there are a lot of item pricing that are messed up, please comment on this)
- Gameplay flaws - how well does the economics work? Morale? any weaknesses or ways of exploiting them?
- Spell/Trigger bugs - I don't know how many there are, but please mention them if u see 1.

Last Word
I'm sorry if this post was confusing, I'm very tired and I just cooked the bejesus out of my steak writing this post :(. Again, playing the map should help clearing things a lot. More screenies are coming. If you want to see any particular feature of the game, just post here and I'll try to get a screeny. Thank you for reading through all that.

Latest (1.21) Download:

http://www.epicwar.com/maps/55771/

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
This looks like quite a cool map. I like all the extra details you put in, such as the weather effects. The PvP arena is also looking pretty cool. Overall a very solid and interesting map. It'll be interesting to play. :D

HailCommi

Reaction score
1.14f Official Release

Final Battlefront 1.14f is out, download from the link above. This is the first OFFICIAL release.

I have done a lot of beta testing with BNet players and I was pleasantly surprised that 90% of them found the game interesting and are willing to continue playing it. This helped me decide that I will commit myself to this project:).

One important point raised by beta players was that the the game lacked instruction for new players. And I realized this is a problem for people on TheHelper.net to play the game. In this new version, there is a start-up instruction as well as rotating Auto-Tips. So if you have played this game before and thought it was boring cuz u had no idea what to do, please try this again. I promise it'll be better :D.

All further FB1 updates will be posted on this thread.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks pretty good, I will test it later.

HailCommi

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your comments!

More Screenies as promised:

Shadow Mage ulti - Armageddon

armageddonnd2.jpg

Bounty system - Every so often Faction Leaders will put out a bounty against a random enemy player. If you accept and complete this contract, u gain bonus gold.

bountygv5.jpg

Staves - A method of customizing ACTIVE abilities of units

staffwo8.jpg

Upgrade Shop - First row are general upgrades, second row are class-specific upgrades, third row are special upgrades

upgradescr8.jpg

Wheat Fields - Just a random little detail that I've put in. If you walk into a wheat field, you will become invisible (i.e. hiding in the bushes):D

wheatfieldmq1.jpg

I am a huge fan of Diablo II and for those of you who are as well, you will find tons and tons of Diablo II references in Final Battlefront:D. As a tribute to DII, the undead hero "Necromancer" had pretty much his entire skill set based on the DII Necro:

necrobl9.jpg

And no, Life Tap is not based off of that Naix spell from DotA. I made this spell before that version of DotA came out:), it is inspired by the real Life Tap curse in DII that pretty much does the same thing.

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
Pwnage map, I might just host it when I have time. I only tried 1 hero but I love it.
Some suggestions though, there are some areas which can only be reached with an air transport and it allows your hero to be almost unkillable because the melee creeps cant hit the hero cos the hero is behind a tree/ on a cliff :p.
I'll post screenies on what I mean soon.

HailCommi

Reaction score

Sry I havent had a chance to to check the forum. Gonna be moving and need to tie up some loose ends. Thank all of you for your comments. You guys really convinced me that there is community appeal for this map. I know u guys hear this a lot anyway but; thank you.

Final Battlefront 1.20b is out, please download from the end of the first post.

Fixes:
- PvP Arena should work without a problem now
- Couple of spell fixes
- Several additional graphic effect for some heroes
- Added a warning msg whenever a player summons an Elite Mount

Additions:
- several new commands "-cls", "-show time"
- 4 New heroes:
- Kendar Ironforge the Goblin Engineer <Night Elve>
- Grim Reaper (forgot his name) <Undead> (<- requires heavy balancing. Some1 please comment on him)
- Allomus the Infiltrator <Human> (<- requires heavy balancing. Some1 please comment on him)
- Izryon the Monarch <Orc>

- Added a new Multiboard that displays player information from Merc Frags to a player's Relative Economic Strength

- The Secret Shop "Kenny the Invisible" is now in business! He smuggle items from both factions and sell them. Can u find where/when he appears? :)

As for the Question addressed regarding units being stuck, I will look into that as soon as possible. Thank you for mentioning that.

What to look for in the next release:
- Boss arena will be open, thats a promise (been dragging it for too long)
- More heroes
- The pathing problem as mentioned by Zack1996

R@i_no_Wyrm

Reaction score
First to say... re-terrain it (terrain rated 6/10) and add AIs.
Second... the game is too long.
Third... some bugs as follows :
1. When you put some bet (or what is that used for betting yourself in arena?) you can still buy it even if your money reached zero. But when you take the amount you can get more. Example : i have 2500 gold. I bet 2 times, it should be i can't put any wager, but i still can bet 3000, leaving me with 0 gold but when i take the amount i got 3000. Worse, if my money is 0 and i buy more wager i can get more money.

2. The safe area can be passed by enemies. Use triggers unit enters region?
Fourth... some questions and critics :
1. Pretty much items out there. What's a shop for?
2. The leaderboard (or multi board) keeps changing. I can't understand that.
3. Crystals are placed by... randomization? once it's out of the circle coz too many units are in.
4. Better you change the ability to place a tower with built tiny barracks instead trigger it.
5. Horses has net tactic but not previous tactic.
6. Somehow, try to get if we're selecting 10 units a press on its tactic may order all of em to use it.
7. in the human base, at the carrier hiring place, an unit may stuck coz there's a little opening between the building and farm.
8. Gate recovers? make it more natural like you must pay or an unit must repair it. not funny to see it suddenly closed.
9. Cities really owns. who strikes first he'll most likely lost coz the guardian has max upgrade level.
10. Siege are... worthless. they really slow and deals low damage.
11. C'mon, heavy transport cost more but no attacks and way slower?
12. The humans heavy transport can carry 7, but only 6 appears. any problem with the cargo?

Last... How can you make the food go over 100? forget the way to do it.
Good game tough. GL

HailCommi

Reaction score
I actually dont know how to do AI, I'll learn it when I have the time.

As for your points:
1) I'll look into that, TY for pointing it out.

2) The Safe Zone is protected by the faction leader who deals 666 chaos damage per 0.1 sec. I havent seen any way of bypassing that cept for Crusader's ulti.

<Fourth>
1) each of your Mercs can hold up to 1 item. It was meant for that. Also, if your hero dies and u lose your Rare/Unique, you can also replace them with items from shop. There are also items that can only be bought, not dropped.

2) ya there are 3 multi boards. It rotates cuz there are too much information to display. I'll try to collapse them into 1 multi board in the next version. ty for pointing that out.

3) LOL ya ppl use to get so pissed off at that. The fact that crystal can spawn outside the circle has no effect on the gameplay whatsoever. I'll fix that when I have the time, but its not on my priority list.

4) what do you mean? can u expand on that?

5) lol daym, support units arent suppose to have tactics. Will be fixed in the next version

6) Yup, "Next Tactic" is a group switch, "Previous Tactic" is an individual unit switch. I'll change that in the next version. But u would rather prefer a group switch than an unit-by-unit switch? Cuz I personally like the group switch better. Else takes wayyy too long to prepare your army.

7) Will be fixed ty

8) Very good idea. Will be changed in the next version

9) Full upgrades aren't that hard to get to. Say if u choose to go Infantries. You'd get Armor, HP, Melee attack, Infantry attack, and probably siege. which is...1500x10x4 + 4000 Silver. And believe me in multi player that amount is very doable. This is because crystals don't just generate money for yourself, it makes money for your entire team. so say your faction has 5 crystals (pretty good estimate). that is 20 silver / second, as well as your daily payment of 2k, 64000 Silver is doable under 45 minutes. The key is to build off of one class of Mercs and co-ordinate with your ally and not just buy w/e upgrade you feel like to buy.

10) There is an upgrade called "Siege Engineering" that increases damage by 100 (200%) and range and attack speed. Ppl actually complained that the Upgraded Sieges are too STRONG.

11) Heavy mounts have MUCH higher armor + HP. They can survive a mine-field before an assault where as a heavily mined base entrance will probably kill any light ground mounts. In next version, Heavy mounts will cost the same as Light Mounts.

12) LOL ya I have NO clue why that happens. Can any1 elaborate on that?

- There is a value under Gameplay Constants that sets the max food.

Ty for your feedbacks. This is exactly what I needed.

R@i_no_Wyrm

Reaction score
Actually, 700 range isn't enough to cover the whole safe place. I can take a little way around the altars.

Why not trigger em to change when a player types a command?

4. Yah, you know the ivory tower item. Use its ability to build a tower instead trigger it.

6. Why don't make a group switch? they still has ability slots (so there will be group switch (next/prev) and single switch (next/prev) Or maybe if a player selects a group of units, replace the ability, or up to you...

12. Try to give a new ability on it.

Well, i missed some points tough. Sorry bout that.

HailCommi

Reaction score
1.20f

1.20f (download from the link at the end of the first post)

Major Changes:

- There are 4 modes the host can choose from
- Normal
- Extra Money (players get 4 Gold + Silver / sec)
- Conquest Only (Arenas are disabled)
- Tournament mode (PvP Arena only)

- There is a Gate House that players can repair broken gates from (Thanks for the suggestion from R@i_no_Wyrm.) This is the only way a gate can be repaired.

- The Tactics are Tiered now. i.e. a Tier 3 Merc's Bash Tactic is more powerful than a Tier 1 Merc's Bash Tactic.

- 2 New Tactics (Demolish and Retaliate)

Minor Fixes:

- Ran through the terrain for the 2 Oriate fields. The terrain still needs a shit load of work and I think that's just smth that will be changed slowly over the next few versions. (Fyi I can't do good terrains even if my life depended on it)

- Fixed wager bug

- Increased Sense Magic (crusader)'s AoE

- Fixed Reaper's primary attribute (suppose to be Agi but was Int in 1.20b)

- Fix exploit with Town Portalling during PvP arena

- Heavy and Light mounts cost the same now. (Though flying and ground still cost different)

- Lowered EXP req / lvl for heroes. Easier to get to lvl 45. Meant for faster games.

Actually, 700 range isn't enough to cover the whole safe place. I can take a little way around the altars.

Why not trigger em to change when a player types a command?

4. Yah, you know the ivory tower item. Use its ability to build a tower instead trigger it.

6. Why don't make a group switch? they still has ability slots (so there will be group switch (next/prev) and single switch (next/prev) Or maybe if a player selects a group of units, replace the ability, or up to you...

12. Try to give a new ability on it.

Well, i missed some points tough. Sorry bout that.

Faction Leader attack range is fixed

I dont think u can show different multiboards to different players =/. I remember looking smth like that up on TheHelper. Maybe I just missed it? Can some1 help?

Tower placement is changed now

All units' tactic switches are individual switches now. Imho 2 sets of switch (1 for individual 1 for group) is a bit redundant. Also, I'm reserving some slots for the possibility of a set of Active Tactics :D.

HailCommi

Reaction score
Requesting Test hosts

I've been hosting pub tests on Bnet but everytime the game finishes loading, every1 on the opposite faction disconnects. (For detailed problem see here)

I have no clue whether this is a problem caused by the map or my computer. I'm wondering if ppl here can host this map on bnet and see if the same thing happens to them. Post your results/possible solutions here.

HailCommi

Reaction score
Final Battlefront 1.21

Final Battlefront 1.21 (please download from the first post)

Changes:
- Finally figured out why the map was desyncing right when it starts. This version should be stable on Bnet multi now (if not please tell me)
- 1 new unique item is added (Rock of Kroshius) which increases the total chance of an unique item being dropped in a match from 40% to 48%.
- Redid Resist Magic Tactic
- Redid the whole Dialog Box thing for mode selection. Now host just types in the mode
- Fixed up the Barren landscape
- Couple of changes for Tournament mode
- Disabled Adventure Cam

Edit - nope, still desyncs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.