Halfway through a map, is it worth it?

Weyird

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this map idea; do you think it would be fun to play?

Its a human base versus an undead base in opposite corners. A very small group of units spawns for each side periodically and heads towards each other. If you play dota, imagine it with only the middle lane. The point is to kill a target in the enemy base.

The players choose a hero, buy a mercenary or two and head out and fight neutral camps (you don't really bother with pushing early). There are several "regions" on the map. A barrens region, a forest region, a mountainous region, a isle region, and a couple of small camps and other miscellaneous regions in between (for example a gold mine). If you take control of a region you gain bonuses. For example taking control of the gold mine gives you extra gold income.
The main "bonus" however is that each region you control sends a strong unit to the enemy base with the wave - often with a decent strength aura. So therefor map control is important to win.

Players are not meant to have only a hero, but have units as well (Bought from mercenary camps available if you control its particular region region). Units are commonly stronger than heroes, but heroes have auras and abilities that buff the units (that's their main purpose in the army).
Although some heroes are more combat orientated and are able to field a smaller army.
Items aren't a major part of the game - mostly scrolls of healing and such things.

Does the general idea of the map sound appealing to you or should I just give up?

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
even if the map turns out to be not much fun, its always good to make a habit of finishing your personal projects. its better to have 1 finished project than to have 4 or 5 ones that you started but gave up on. another thing is when you finish a map all the way through you have the opportunity to make balance adjustments... and the more practice you have at balancing a map the better your future maps will be.

so unless you
(are unmotivated to finish / are uninterested in finishing / dislike)
your current project or have another idea that you
(think will be much better / would much rather be working on / would have more fun working on)
stick to your current one.
i wish you the best of luck

EDIT:after reading the post below id like to add something
your regions idea is pretty cool,
i was reminded of a ratchet and clank game that i played where you could capture nodes.
each node had little benefits to them, such as turrets and vehicle spawns.
the nodes also served as respawn points.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
^^

Also, to answer your question, yeah I think your idea of "regions" and how they relate to map control is pretty unique and original. I think you should definitely finish your map. Even if you never release it, it will give you great balancing experience, as perkeyone said.

jhnam95

Reaction score
It would be a certainly new type of AoS and a new alternative to the typical DotA games wouldn't hurt. I found myself just downloading random maps from online just to play them with my friends rather than DotA like we always used to. Something new is never a bad thing.

Weyird

Reaction score
I've decided to rather start the map over, lol.

[You can stop reading now; the rest is pretty pointless]

Firstly just to make it smaller, mostly because my PC isn't the most state-of-the-art and it tends to suffer and take ages to do anything in the later stages of map production.

Secondly, its currently full of junk and half thought out ideas. Since its my oldest map its got everything that I ever learned to do in it - if I wanted to learn how to do something new, I found a place to implement it in this map.
For example i learned how to import stuff with this map. Unfortunately it took me a while to realize how much it increases the map size and so I took out most of the imports and replaced it with standard, but acceptable warcraft models. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly all the files I imported for each model and as such there's junk lying around.
I also learned how to make terrain with the "raise/lower terrain" tool and then paint it mountainy and then use pathing blockers. So now half my map is like that, and the other half with normal war3 cliffs. The combination is hideous, lol.

Ah well at least I now know whats essential in the map, so i can keep it simple enough. I can also make it leak-free (or at least minus the bigger leaks) since I learned halfway through what those are.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.