Building a Computer

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, so I think this is like the ... third time I've posted a thread like this? I've revised a target build once again :)

Here's what I have so far, I'd like critique.

Please give reasons for changes. I'm aiming for the ability to play SC2 without lag at a reasonable level (high I guess).

I'm not sure about compatibility. I know my motherboard and CPU are compatible (both are Intel, that should be enough, right?) Anyone who can guide me on how to check myself next time is a saint.

I chose ASUS because it's for cool people?

I'm planning on Windows 7, just because it's worth it.

Is overclocking something I should be interested in? I don't know much about it other than that it's cool to OC gameboys now and that it involves "cheating" with your CPU to run games faster than you should be able to.

I chose 1 TB hard drive because that will last me a long time at the rate I go.

Cooling I'm lost at. Do I need to purchase anything else other than what I've got?

I also have no idea about how to go about picking out a disc drive/burner, or if I have to or whatever. I'm going to try to include a floppy drive because I can.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't get Windows 7 Ultimate unless you absolutely need some kind of feature that the other versions don't have. It's not worth the extra $150.
Do get this RAM instead of what you have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

That's double what you have there and RAM is incredibly cheap these days. Starcraft 2 will like the extra room.

As for cooling, you don't NEED to get anything more, but you can if you want to overclock. Overclocking a K-series chip is easy to do because it has an unlocked multiplier, so you may want to get a nicer cooler in order to do that.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
>Don't get Windows 7 Ultimate unless you absolutely need some kind of feature that the other versions don't have. It's not worth the extra $150.
Will do. Excellent advice, Ghan :)

>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311
Am I really going to need the extra 4 GB? How much longer can I expect it to last?

>As for cooling, you don't NEED to get anything more, but you can if you want to overclock. Overclocking a K-series chip is easy to do because it has an unlocked multiplier, so you may want to get a nicer cooler in order to do that.
I think I'm just going to stay away from OCing for awhile, thanks.

Does everything else look fine? Someone told me all you really have to look for in terms of compatibility is CPU/MOBO/HDD, want to know if that's good advice or not.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Does everything else look fine? Someone told me all you really have to look for in terms of compatibility is CPU/MOBO/HDD, want to know if that's good advice or not.

the cpu/mobo/ram are all compatible, the HDD is also compatible but that is usually a non-issue these days

the only problem I see is that your buying a "green" drive and expecting to use it as a boot/program drive.. those are meant for storage, not primary use

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
The only thing I see about this is the aforementioned things.

I'd recommend a Spinpoint F4 over WD. If you get a WD, get a Black. They're better than Greens and Blues for boot/main drives.

The subtotal with a CD/DVD Burner and Windows 7 Professional and a Spinpoint F4 2TB is $994.92

I recommend this build:

Antec 900
Spinpoint F4 2TB
G.SKILL Ripjaw 4GB DDR3 1600
GIGABYTE GA-H67A LGA 1155
Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
ASUS GTX 460
Antec TruePower 750W Continuous Power

I chose the 750W because it was a combo deal.

That's a powerful build that can run most modern games at full or close to full settings.

Subtotal: $929.92

I don't know why you didn't just ask me last night when we were on MSN >_>

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Once again, get a Spinpoint F4 or a Caviar Black instead of a Blue...

8GB is overkill. You don't need it. 4GB is plenty. 6GB is what I have and is more than enough for anything I ever do.

The PSU is fine, but you should look at combo deals.

2500K is a fine.

Mobo is compatible.

The RAM you have is slower than the RAM I suggested. Get the 1600 RAM instead. If you still want 8GB for God knows what, then just get 2x 1600 RAM.

Why are you getting the "Full" version... You only need the OEM version...

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
I agree that if you have the money to get the RAM, it's a good place to invest; however, when you don't need it and are never going to use it to its full extent, there's no point in getting it :p

Truthfully, even I, who is on the computer almost 24/7, have no use for more than 6GB of RAM right now.

If he really thinks he'll need it, it's a better deal to get 2x the sticks I recommended. It's ~$20 more, but faster.

A plus is that the motherboard he picked out supports it and is dual channel with 4 slots.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
I disagree that there is no use for that RAM. For example, on my computer running Windows 7, I use about 2.8 GB of RAM constantly with nothing open but Trillian and a web browser. Simply starting Starcraft 2 bumps that up to 3.4 GB before I even start a game. 4 GB is pretty standard these days for a lower end machine, but gaming rigs will want more.
I have 12 GB in my machine and I'm glad I do - I can run virtual machines for doing Linux testing and I can also turn off my paging file completely with no issues. I'm not saying you should go that far, but 6 - 8 GB is where I would want to be in building a gaming machine.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Really? 2.8? I get about 3.0 GB while running Steam, Chrome, SC2 (in the menu), chat programs, a bunch of utilities for assorted accessories (Headset, Mouse, Keyboard, Wheel, and Desktop Icon manager), Ultramon for my dual screens, and the language bar.

What are you running in the background?

Anyhow, I would still stand by my original opinion that 4GB is fine. 6GB is good, and any more than that for a gaming rig would, IMHO, be a waste of money.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
ram use is proportional to how much you have.. having more ram = more stuff cached = better, even if you don't directly use it

I would say 8 gb is good, considering that you can get that much for cheap (~$50)

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Looks pretty sweet! When I build my rig I'm planning on using a 120GB X25-M G2 as my boot drive and a 500GB F3 or WD RE4 for storage, and 16GB RAM :p

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
ram use is proportional to how much you have.. having more ram = more stuff cached = better, even if you don't directly use it

I would say 8 gb is good, considering that you can get that much for cheap (~$50)

Agreed. I'm running at 4gb right now. Although I can run things fine, once I boot up SC2 and/or other more modern games, it can start to slow down at higher settings. I recommend a minimum of 6. I'm not a tech guru though, so this is just from personal experience.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Looks pretty sweet! When I build my rig I'm planning on using a 120GB X25-M G2 as my boot drive and a 500GB F3 or WD RE4 for storage, and 16GB RAM :p

I would swap out the 500GB F3 for a 2TB F4. From the sounds of it, you're going to be doing a lot of RAM intense stuff like rendering. If not, I don't think you need 16 GB RAM.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
*just noticed the floppy drive part, sorry to burst your bubble but the newer motherboards don't support floppy anymore (you would need a USB adapter) - actually they don't support the IDE ribbon at all, so all of those IDE cd/dvd burners, hard drives, and floppies are pretty much unusable on them

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Adding on to what Slapshot has to say, you will never, ever, ever [del]be out massed[/del] use a Floppy Drive.

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
Unless you for unknown reasons have an irresistible urge to install Microsoft Word 95. Or somehow (why would you do this) have important data on them.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I would swap out the 500GB F3 for a 2TB F4. From the sounds of it, you're going to be doing a lot of RAM intense stuff like rendering. If not, I don't think you need 16 GB RAM.
Ah thanks, haha, actually no. I'll just be gaming. According to benchmarks I've read with how much RAM you need to turn off your page file when gaming, 8GB isn't enough (12 I use right now). Seeing that I can only use dual channel RAM, it's 8GB or 16GB.

In terms of the 2TB F4... what's so good about it? I want something that is low capacity (faster access times) as well as cool. I'll only ever need 500GB.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.