CoD discussion

Sargon

Reaction score
I'll play in a bit. Currently playing Puzzle Pirates, but I'll log off when I can.

Sud

"[If life=Dota] I'd have quit long ago" -- Acehart
Reaction score
Let's grab like Sargon Cres and 56k and maybe someone else who wants in and we can have a full team

Sud

Reaction score
clan mm on east par usual? I don't know when sargon's going to be done playing popup pirate or whatever he's doing there, and we need to get 56k's attention

Sargon

Reaction score
I'm done already.

Sud

Reaction score
Ok let's see who we can dig up on east

R

Ralle_Janis

Im hosting champion of durance from time to time on europe, game names are usually sumthing like: Champion of durance, fun map/aos map/etc.

My acc is Demon.Duck

Sud

Reaction score
That is cool, I will probably play again when I get home tonight.

It's hilarious too because the other team is so inept. Anti-Paladin and Stormreaver get owned by my architect and Sargon's friendly Giant and they immediately start complaining about his auras and my gyros (rofl), despite the fact that they got horribly owned by the two weakest offensive heroes in the game.

It'll quite often end up with all the people on our team stay while the other team turns into leavers.

PB_and_J

level 85 anti-spammer
Reaction score
did you make all the skins urself/have some one else make em/dl em from a stie?

Sud

Reaction score
Most of them are WCSearch skins, except I take a particular liking to Miseracord models (his models are the Exec, Anti-Paladin and Cleric). I've been trying to entice him to custom create some stuff, as he has a pretty large assortment of stuff not on the search yet but modellers are elusive beasts.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Behold the awesome generousity that is the Alexanderian comment:

By Alexander on Aug-31-05

S'cool :D Very balanced, and good terrain (as far as the lanes go :D) and deffinately good idea with the Aiming your abilities thing. It's like WC3.5, or something :D

WORSHIP ME!

Sud

Reaction score
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Alexander again.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Sud said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Alexander again.

DAMMIT!

Foiled again -.-

I see your trickery! That's what you all are. F***ing tricky!

^Foamy, the lord and master, if you don't worship me, WORSHIP HIM!

And if you worship me, WORSHIP HIM!

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Now I want to play this game again v_v

Anyone want to?

----

Anyhow, I loved the game so far. The items have such ridiculously low percentages of stuff happening it's kind of funny when they do. The towers are just weak enough to be toppled over with just the right force pressed in the right direction (if you can't cover a gigantic invasion force and a hero, you can't protect your towers. Sqrage realized this already :D)

The only thing I've noticed is that:

1) I can't find out where all of the merchants are. Would it be possible to get a map or just a LITTLE guidance? The fusing merchants...something you don't need until later for a long game...are located right in your base city but the most useful items are scattered throughout. Maybe the most basic of items should be at the city, the best items scattered throughout along with the fusing merchants, simply because you don't need them.

2) The terrain isn't half bad, but where is the shrubbery? Maybe you could place some to wade in. It'd be cool and somewhat harder to aim in :)

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Sud said:
Anyone besides me playing CoD? I've been hosting games almost non-stop on USeast as of late in the evenings.

I have not even tested this map for one reason.

2.8 megs is rediculous.

This is not an attack. But models and imports or music don't make a map - ever.

Gameplay, unique ideas, and a good designer make the map.

I prolly never will play it until its reasonable either - its simply just not worth it. Its not worth hosting it; its not worth waiting for people to DL. My time on bnet is limited. LETS PLAY NOW. NO DL ever ever allowed in my games, unless its tiny like a TD. I never let people DL when I host larger maps.

DL on your time, not on my time.

I even make my own brother go DL from the site most of the time. And I have 5mb/s cable. 95% of other users don't.

While some may dissagree with me, many also agree. No matter how hard the argument, I still don't let people DL.
I won't play masterofabc's map either - he won't listen and remove a 3 meg MP3. What a waste of time.

It should be considered.

Sud

Reaction score
2.8 megs is rediculous.

This is not an attack. But models and imports or music don't make a map - ever.

Even dota is roughly 1.8 megs, and it's a smaller map. Unfortunately, I believe the map, stripped of all custom content, is still something like 1.6ish megs, so it'll probably never reach your file size desires.

Its not worth hosting it; its not worth waiting for people to DL. My time on bnet is limited. LETS PLAY NOW. NO DL ever ever allowed in my games, unless its tiny like a TD. I never let people DL when I host larger maps.

You can't expect to host no DL games on a new map, unfortunately no. What's the hurry? Quality > Quantity. If you don't have the patience to simply wait 1-2 minutes for a few DLs, do you have the patience to work together as a team, or to mount a comeback when your team is down? If not, then you're probably right, it's not the map for you.

While some may dissagree with me, many also agree. No matter how hard the argument, I still don't let people DL.

Unfortunately you don't have an argument. With a new map your choices are DL or don't play.

I won't play masterofabc's map either - he won't listen and remove a 3 meg MP3. What a waste of time.

I have about roughly 800kb in custom content, and all of it is in there deservedly. I do try to shrink the map in every way possible - I don't even use widgetizer and take a load time hit because Vexorian's program straight up saves more space than widget+vex. It's not a thing like a 3mb mp3 that people likely aren't listening to (and even with the sound data, I make two versions so people have a choice whether or not it's included)

Most maps that you see are small. Coincidentally, a good portion of them are also crap. There's a reason for that. No matter what your personal tastes though, to say NO DL NEVER is not a reasonable statement when dealing with a lesser known new map.

Sargon

Reaction score
Rinpun said:
1) I can't find out where all of the merchants are. Would it be possible to get a map or just a LITTLE guidance? The fusing merchants...something you don't need until later for a long game...are located right in your base city but the most useful items are scattered throughout. Maybe the most basic of items should be at the city, the best items scattered throughout along with the fusing merchants, simply because you don't need them.

The upgrade merchants don't actually do anything. They just show you the recipes. The game tells you where the "secret" shops are pretty early in the game.

Sud

Reaction score
Last update should resolve a couple of those issues,

1. There's a hint that pops up ~5 mins into the game that tells you the locations of the extra shops.

2. I've done a good amount more triggering, adding in a few extra scenes on the map, more flora, and a whole bunch of sound ambients for watery areas

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Well, you don't really have much of an argument either; your sitting on a 3 meg map, the size of a small campaign.

Hardly anyone is gonna sit around and wait for 8-9 players to download a file that size.

We play online almost daily. We know the deal and how things work.

Your right: maybe not for me. I can't sit and wait around for 9 people to DL a file that size.

Yepp, the map is new. And thats why it hurts so bad. People would wait for an established map with reputation. Certainly wait less for an unknown.

If you look around http://maps.worldofwar.net and other sites, you'll see plenty of flames over maps that are even 1 meg. After a point, it becomes a burden.

Stick it out? Finish the game? Almost always. My gaming ethics are not related to my impatience waiting for a bunch of DL, and others here can vouch for that.

Yepp, dota is 1.8 megs. And still never allow DL. Dota well established and can easily be downloaded from allstars as well. Being well established, others are willing to wait. 95% of them just get booted. Usually by 56K and I.

You can make a winning map without excessive skins, imports, or music. Perhaps one day you'll see that, and let go of some of the extras that just don't make the game.

There are lots of valid points here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.