Graphics style

Randor244

Reaction score
I'm making a half melee/half rpg map. Basically the player gets a possibility to build bases and fight other players bases just like in a melee map. The experience that the hero gets is used in dungeons where the hero must travel alone, to get very powerful items. The map features 14 custom heroes, and so on...

Anyway, I need advice concerning he graphics. Do you think I should continue to work on it as it looks now (I'm not done with the terrain of course) or should I start all from scratch? Here are the images:
1-6.jpg

2-5.jpg

3-4.jpg

4-4.jpg

5-4.jpg

Nexor

Reaction score
I think that summer tree wall could be changed to ashenvale style, it looks much better :)
at the sunken ruins tiled part of the map, you don't have to use that much doodads, I can't see the differences between the levels, there are too many of that viny thing.
maybe use a ground texture on the windmill :)
thats all at the first look, good luck on making this map

Nerfpl

Reaction score
i think it looks ok except turtle in forest and oversized bridge ;) 9you can hide it in terrain by using rise tool on edges)

Randor244

Reaction score
I need all the vines, as I'll hide many items in them :)
Turtle in forest, well... I'll change that ;)
I won't change to Ashenvale as I like the humble feeling in Lordaeron summer trees ;)
I'll change the windmill.
And the bridge.

Thanks for the comments :)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the bridge on number 2 needs to be lowered further into the ground.

Randor244

Reaction score
I've now replaced the bridge with a tree bridge ;)
Undortunatly I've run out of doodads availible :(
You guys know of any other good way to make the map look better?

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
I think they look a little over cluttered. Maybe use a little less doodads at some places?

You should also try using a wide range of sizes for your doodads untill you find a size that looks better to you, I normally make some things like rocks\mushrooms\flowers smaller. That way, you still have detail but it isn't so cluttered. Some doodads look better bigger, too.

Randor244

Reaction score
Here are some new images:

New tree bridge ;) Terrain isn't fully complete on this one though.
090215094041.jpg

Bandit camp.
090215094119.jpg

Dimension portal.
090215094136.jpg

Small lake.
090215094145.jpg

Hero selection - walk with the hero into the portal.
090215094207.jpg

Eyonix

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I'd say thin out your doodads in some places... for example the second to last picture, the one above the heroes. To me it looks like you have too many bushes on the ledges and stuff, some of those bushes look half on the ledge and half floating in the air.... just looks weird imo other than using too many doodads in some places and that weird bridge you said you fixed it looks good.

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
"Variety is the spice of life." Have different tree variations and sizes.
"Consistency keeps a man sane." Make sure you have the same styles of things, in different areas (variety of space).
"Teach a man to fish." Fishing is good.
"To err is human." I just like the sound of that.

One thing thats bugging me: I dont like the sudden-ness of your terrain changes. They go straight from sandy/solid dirt to grass. Try to soften it by using intermediate grasses. That will come with practice I think. Have a look in some of the terraining threads on this forum. (Of course you can completely ignore this - it's fine as is, I'm just suggesting things that I think would make it better. :D) Or use a different dirt.

It looks like you've put alot of effort into the map. Well done. Good luck with the rest of your map. I hope you can resolve the graphic styles questions in your head. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.