Hidding a chat message

Cdo

Reaction score
Hi, i'm planning to add a sort of cheat code to my game but I want a player to be able to enter it without having it pop up in chat, anyone know how to do this...
Thanks in advanced :)

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
The player can change their chat settings to only send to observers in-game (I remember this being advised in LoTR Hero Siege), or you can use triggers to hide all chat for all players (I am not certain if you can selectively hide only a certain message). If you want to use the latter method, do a search on these forums to find out how; it's been discussed before.

DioD

Reaction score
its still possible to extract this data from replay file, map itself or memory monitor, its better to evoid cheats in multiplayer maps.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Try using this:

1) Player types 'sspe'
2) then set the chat to floating text
3) set it back

This will make the chat message not displayed, but floating text will be there. You can change to super tiny small though :D

xPass

Reaction score
Unfortunately, agreed :p I don't think you can change the chat into floating text.
The only way to do this is use the cinematic action, "clear all messages" I think. :/

It can be done. skyblader has done it before somewhere in this forum. Don't facepalm me :( it hurts...

TomTTT

Reaction score
It can be done. skyblader has done it before somewhere in this forum. Don't facepalm me :( it hurts...

I'm sorry, and I agree it wasn't very nice. But still, I don't think you can. And even if you do, I'd really love to know that :D
But if you mean the thread someone wanted that a floating text will appear when someone chats, then it doesn't delete the chat message, it simply shows the floating text AND keeps the chat entered.

xPass

Reaction score
I'm sorry, and I agree it wasn't very nice. But still, I don't think you can. And even if you do, I'd really love to know that :D
But if you mean the thread someone wanted that a floating text will appear when someone chats, then it doesn't delete the chat message, it simply shows the floating text AND keeps the chat entered.

No no, I meant the facepalm as a joke :)

For the floating text, skyblader once attached a map with the trigger, the chat not entered, but the text is there.

luorax

Invasion in Duskwood
Reaction score
You can hide the players' chat message by modifying the gameplay constants, but you can't hide only one chat message ingame. The list of the modifiable variables:

CHAT_RECIPIENT_ALL=
CHAT_RECIPIENT_OBSERVERS=
CHAT_RECIPIENT_ALLIES=
CHAT_RECIPIENT_PRIVATE=
CHAT_RECIPIENT_REFEREES=

You can create a custom chat engine, if you would like to (just like I did in my friend's map - cuz when a hero died the owner was able to see the whole map, so I needed a way to create a mute vote and a mute function)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.