Largest in array?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Not including Damien's post, I fail to see what DotA has to do with anything here.

Reaction score
Troll:
Wow, some people are defending JASS as it were the next object-oriented marvel in the programming world.

It is a shame that GUI was not implemented as good as it could have been. However, the major flaw of GUI is that it's based on that lousy JASS language.

GUI and JASS users alike wouldn't need to be bothering about removing leaks if noisy JASS had a basic garbage-collection system implemented.
Why doesn't JASS support classes? I wouldn't have to create a thousand different units and have my GUI cluttered up if JASS had a hint of polymorphism.

Honestly, JASS'ers have it too easy bashing the poor GUI'ers. Most of GUI issues would not exist if JASS were a properly designed language.
Have some humor please. <3

What was that about largest elements in array?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
JASS isn't OOP and it's not a programming language. It's a Scrypting Syntax.

vJASS includes structs, which are actually classes. Why they're named structs, I dunno. Ask Vex.

DrStyles

Reaction score
This thread keeps getting funnier. ^.^

It's called indentation. NewGen auto-indents...

>Why use vJASS
GUI Suscks.

>Don't need JASS for a good map
Um. Lol. Then you don't need GUI.

NewGen isn't what I was talking about. No you don't necessarily need GUI for a good map, but most maps do have GUI or JASS. by you don't need JASS, I mean GUI is perfectly acceptable.

Without modding the GUI, you do need Jass to fix leaks. That is what you type into the Custom Script box. GUI simply doesn't come with the functions you need to eliminate leaks (so no, GUI does not hold all the useful codes).

Well I just said you can fix leaks without JASS. I didn't say it was better. I use JASS for leaks. But leaks aren't really that bad unless you use events like "every .01" or its a big map. GUI holds most useful functions, and if a map only used JASS to fix leaks (or even no JASS) it can still be good. One of my favorite maps is in no JASS. EI ^.^

Convert to Custom Text and see for yourself. Even the simplest GUI triggers are inefficient. In practice, this is made worse by the fact that GUI users must resort to kludges in order to work around the lack of features (such as using triggers in lieu of functions).
But does it matter? I don't get lag in maps with GUI.
Here is a puzzle for you: If a trigger is made that displays to all players "hi", and the same thing in Jass, does the Jass somehow look better, or so you get the exact same result?
It says "hi" either way. No lag for either, and you can't easily see the different in the game. I have converted to custom text before. It's not like I just opened the WE now. I just never needed arrays before.

That is because maps were using gamecache or arrays to emulate hashtable functionality. GUI is so limited in its abilities that it is usually hard for users to understand why attachment systems exist at all.
doesn't make sense at all. GUI is perfectly fine, and many games don't need either hashwhales or gamewhale.

This is a consequence of the silly GUI method of programming. Selecting options from drop-down lists is much more tedious than simply typing what you want.
It's actually very fast if you have used it a lot. Just the hashtables slow it down. Typing can take longer if you know what you're doing in GUI.

GUI does not look pleasant to me. It is not pleasant to read, and not pleasant to write. The one advantage that GUI has over Jass is that it is easy to learn, and that is why people use it.

It's got a few more then that, but true it's easy to use. It looks fine. (BTW you don't really "write" GUI.)

Of course you do. It is not something you can help, without having fully experienced the alternatives.
I'm not thinking in any limit. I'm making a map, and I make it how I want. Not much I've wanted in maps isn't possible with GUI while it is in JASS. I know what you can do with JASS, and mostly it's fine in GUI.

You can make a melee map without using GUI or Jass. Obviously there is more to making a map than clicking the Save button.
That's not exactly what I do, but you're right. :) It's "Calculate shadows and save." Then if you want protect it. ^.^

If displaying "hi" to all players represents the extent of what you want to do in your maps, then it probably isn't worth learning Jass.
It was an example that many thing is JASS give the same result in GUI. But that's why a lot of people use GUI. Why learn JASS if you don't need it? Many people just want to make a fail map to get some attention. Usually if someone takes the time to learn JASS, they put a little more effort into their map.

There is nothing to "understand" in that regard. Jass is simply better than the GUI. It is faster to write, more efficient, more capable and more flexible. Not all Jass maps are better than GUI maps, but there are some things that it is simply not feasible to do in GUI (without copious amounts of Custom Script). Since you brought up DotA, why do you think that it is written in Jass rather than GUI?
Cause if JASS is any better, DoTA better be written in JASS. Its only been around forever with 75%+ wc players addicted. Jass is better in some aspects, and GUI in other. He said it not me. :O
GUI does not look pleasant to me. It is not pleasant to read, and not pleasant to write. The one advantage that GUI has over Jass is that it is easy to learn, and that is why people use it.
A lot of people use GUI. It's not necessary for you to know extensive amounts of JASS code for a simple, yet fun map.
Not including Damien's post, I fail to see what DotA has to do with anything here.
Cause DoTA addicts don't understand anything but DoTA. Just making sure people have seen WC outside of DoTA.

DrEvil

FCRI Associate!
Reaction score
Why do people bring Dota into these discussions ? XD
It's actually very fast if you have used it a lot. Just the hashtables slow it down. Typing can take longer if you know what you're doing in GUI.
If someone knew what they were doing in GUI , they'd have gone vJASS by now.. :D

But does it matter? I don't get lag in maps with GUI.
2 big maps , 1 made in proper jass , 1 in gui , the jass map would lag less ( if it lagged ) , the amount of useless junk in gui slows it down

doesn't make sense at all. GUI is perfectly fine, and many games don't need either hashwhales or gamewhale.
lol...gui gives you hand cramp , and is eye-bleeding :D

A lot of people use GUI. It's not necessary for you to know extensive amounts of JASS code for a simple, yet fun map.
Define simple ? Number guessing game :p

This thread keeps getting funnier. ^.^
Because of the GUI froob defending it :rolleyes:

( sorry to drop in Sevion ^_^ , just wanted some action and a laugh :p )

...Wasn't this about arrays ?:cool: lawls

DrStyles

Reaction score
If someone knew what they were doing in GUI , they'd have gone vJASS by now..
Not true. GUI is fine, and vJASS has nothing to do with knowing GUI.
2 big maps , 1 made in proper jass , 1 in gui , the jass map would lag less ( if it lagged ) , the amount of useless junk in gui slows it down
It would lag less.. This only applies for big maps. GUI doesn't really lag unless it's big. You don't need a big map for it to be good.
lol...gui gives you hand cramp , and is eye-bleeding
Oo!? me? no. Maybe you..
Define simple ? Number guessing game
Simple = simple.
Because of the GUI froob defending it

( sorry to drop in Sevion ^_^ , just wanted some action and a laugh )

...Wasn't this about arrays ? lawls
Lol. Just cause I don't use JASS doesn't mean I'm a "Froob"? I'm not "defending" the thread. I'm just saying GUI can make a good map. You wouldn't understand what a good map is though. Maybe if you made a map instead of calling people "froobs" you would understand. ^.^
It was about arrays. That's why I said it was funny.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
This thread is going nowhere...

In future, I suggest that all of you adhere to the topic in future. DrStyles was looking for a way to find the largest value defined in an array, not a debate on GUI vs JASS...

The original question appears to have been answered by post 14, and the thread has been stretched to 3 pages of 20 posts/page? Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.