My first custom spell, how to do?

Babybro

Reaction score
Hello!

Im want to do my own spell in the trigger, but i don't know how to do. I have read the tutoial on this site (http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35576).

But i do some things that i don't know what it means, i need someone to explain it for me, maybe you know a better tutorial or can help me? I'm making my own map and really want to know about how to make a spell in trigger. So anyone that could help me?

Happy

Reaction score
some things you should know :
1. base your spell off a spell with similar/identical function...if its not possible base it off channel.
2. try to avoid waits.
3. the eyecandy is the last thing you add...when the rest works.
4. if not already done : learn working with dummys and variables/hashtables.
5. think what you need for your spell and trigger after that.
6. if youre stuck somewhere try do fix it yourself...if you dont get it work ask the helpers xD

i hope this helps a bit^^
and the tutorial is a good practice....

greetz happy

Babybro

Reaction score
Eyecandy?? What's that?

Thanks you gave me some help. But i don't know the things with the dummy unit... What to do with it after it's created?... That's were i get lost... Could i get an easy explain for it..?

Happy

Reaction score
eyecandy are the effects...

dummy units are unit that cant be seen/cant be selected...they are for casting spells, adiing buffs and some other things.

for example you want to make a skill where storm hammer is called on every unit within 600 range. for this you could make a dummy spell. means you give the hero the spell let call it "mass hammers". he calls it. then for every unit within 600 range a dummy is created at the position of the caster and casts a storm hammer on it. after it the dummy is removed again and every unit within 600 range got hit by a hammer.

for that you could use dummys.

if you wanna know how to make a dummy search for it....if i remember correctly there are millions of threads with this question...

hope you got it now...

greetz happy

p.s. there are many other possibilities to use a dummy xD

Babybro

Reaction score
Ok, i know hot to make it and so on but not how to use it, but this was good help. Thank you!

But what does this means?

Trigger:
  • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 12, do (Actions)

Happy

Reaction score
that is a loop...

its used for this for example : you wanna add player 1-6 to playergroup1 and player 7-12 to playergroup2 then you use :

Trigger:
  • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 6, do (Actions)
    • add player (integer A) to playergroup1

Trigger:
  • For each (Integer B) from 7 to 12, do (Actions)
    • add player (integer B) to playergroup2

that shorter than adding every player to the playergroups.

SwedishChef

Reaction score
If you know triggers good enough it shouldn't be too hard. It is always easiest to learn gui first then start to make custom spells rather than the opposit. At least I think so...

Babybro

Reaction score
I have maked other maps alot, but just this sort of map or this sort of things isn't usual for me... Got a lot of td:s and so on...

But i just need to know, isn't this a place for help?

Babybro

Reaction score
I think i figured it out, but how do i change the damage? Is it something with the trigger or is it just to change it on the spell, but the problem is if i change the spell damage does my spell not work at the way i want, it takes wrong targets.

Happy

Reaction score
first of all please use the EDIT button...dont double post.

if youre using blizzard the easiest way is to change the damage in the spell and the targets you can change there too...

you could also trigger it....its your decision.

greetz happy

p.s. correct me if its wrong but could it be that youre not very good with the editor? i would learn a bit with simply trying out a bit. these question are basics you should know. ^.^

Babybro

Reaction score
Yes, you are right, im not so good in trigger....

But i just wrote if i change in the spell does the targets change... But i try to trigger it...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.