Tutorial Playing with Apply Ground Tools.

The first one called Raise. What it does? Raises.
Wiiiiisssdom.

Woot. Then you show A picture were you used it. Hmmm, I dont feel smarter by looking at somthing sombody did.

This is the lower tool. It lowers.
Thats pretty much what you said. Seriously. Duh.

A Tip: When you create any map, choose "Initial water level - Shallow Water"
Then when the map is created, use Raise tool to cover all water.
Later when you need rivers, just use lower tool to get 'em
I allready knew what by chance, but thats acually the first helpfull thing in it.

I'll keep this tool for the end of tutorial, it's my favorite
Uhh... Ohh.. I think... I think I can feel my brain growing!

Noise tool creates ugly hills and deformates ground.
Smooth tool polishes all edges, attemts to math all terrain in same size.
So those two is perfect couple.
First noise your terrain
Then smooth it:
The icon with bumps makes bumps. And the one called smooth smoothes things. Use them and it looks good.. *Brains veins pulse with wisdom*

Doesn't really look like something changed... Just more edges. Oh well, I use this tool rarely anyway.
K. Lol...

This lovely tool grabs terrain height on where was it clicked, and by dragging applies same height on other place. This can create different cliff heights, ramps [using with smooth tool] and even craters [ I'll show later ]
So here's this simple map with plaetau:
HMM. The plaetau tool makes plaetau's. ("plateau >noun (pl. plateaux or plateaus) 1 an area of fairly level high ground. 2 a state or period of little or no change following a period of activity or progress.")
All this new info at A time. My brainz hurt.

The hill levels I've added doesn't really shows up. But wait 'till I swich some terrain tiles
We will wait allright, but what should WE be doing? Nice terrain galleraly, weres teh tutorial... :p

Now how's that? Let's add some doodads to make this litle place more alive.
Yes lets. But how? And how is this related to the tutorial.

NOTE: Blizzard's doodads nearly all is oversized. Same with some units. For better effect reduce size 2x of things you place. I did it for rocks, flowers, cattails and critters.
Thats a matter of opinion, and still not teaching me anything.. ><

This time I took barrens theme.
Yay? Terrain showcase more? Fun fun? o.0

And it keeps going on like this..
[/QUOTE]
Thats just a example of what I ment. As for "So the problem with my "plain" turorial is solved for you now?" I still dont like it, but as other people seem to Im not complaining.. xD

I find my cliffs are made by plateauing an area, raising the bottom and the area behind the top, and then smoothing. I find that easier than the method you mentioned here, but it still works. Anyways very good for a new terrainer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.