Tutorial Playing with Apply Ground Tools.

linamus

I r bak!
Reaction score
Personally I love much more natturaly looking hills and cliffs. So I never use ussual "Apply One/Two" cliff tool.
Apply ground tools - how I call it - raises/smoothes/lowers ground gently.
Here they are:
q7e2tkybjlteyhzmcb1n.jpg

Raise Tool

The first one called Raise. What it does? Raises.

There's many ways to use that. So many...

A Simple ground:

y14hv16i16276yuv6ljb.jpg

Same ground with litle Raise job.

hklpzdtos2g88jsmyli.jpg

looks better huh?

Lower Tool

Basicaly it's same as raise tool with opposite meaning.
Only usefull stuff I'm doing with it, is rivers.

A Tip: When you create any map, choose "Initial water level - Shallow Water"
Then when the map is created, use Raise tool to cover all water.
Later when you need rivers, just use lower tool to get 'em

fx25btcmwlav5f2rjdf.jpg

Plaetau Tool

I'll keep this tool for the end of tutorial, it's my favorite

Noise Tool and Smooth Tool

Noise tool creates ugly hills and deformates ground.
Smooth tool polishes all edges, attemts to math all terrain in same size.

So those two is perfect couple.
First noise your terrain
Then smooth it:

0zfy6gkaz7krrpws8el.jpg

Doesn't really look like something changed... Just more edges. Oh well, I use this tool rarely anyway.

Plaetau Tool [again]

This lovely tool grabs terrain height on where was it clicked, and by dragging applies same height on other place. This can create different cliff heights, ramps [using with smooth tool] and even craters [ I'll show later ]
So here's this simple map with plaetau:

jcjhj3se1hwaszdszfxi.jpg

The hill levels I've added doesn't really shows up. But wait 'till I swich some terrain tiles:

fne3srnser2ggy0772y.jpg

Now how's that? Let's add some doodads to make this litle place more alive.

bidpb8rws3sw8grx3x8h.jpg

zngwitb1i5f3wadv5os.jpg

72o9k9pqnu8c9degizab.jpg

NOTE: Blizzard's doodads nearly all is oversized. Same with some units. For better effect reduce size 2x of things you place. I did it for rocks, flowers, cattails and critters.

Were done with this map. Now lets pratice to use theese tools with other things:

This time I took barrens theme.

trc3npuprir4mf1bi0a.jpg

508xx46ucnz9m9b16kz.jpg

s7488fwzpfzf8b728g8.jpg

qyen2a8ohfr6ei5squk.jpg

Cliffs is made with Raise tool, litle shuffled with Noise, polished with Smooth, and then one pixel by one pixel raised with Raise again:

Crater is done like this.

Make full Raised Circle. O
Then Using Plaetau press on lower ground, and delete part of the circle, including center. Make it look like this C
After this, your circle should be nothing more than hills oval, and entrance. Use plaetau again, press on one of hill, and cover the entrance. Now you have full circle with low middle - Crater

Some more on Island Theme:

w28rr1p389q7edfczk61.jpg

v202o53lvn45gm686t88.jpg

k352tjyyhoiopkhrrwe2.jpg

mcmwens8p3guxwrzyrk8.jpg

kol63pl6hx7mclv1ya.jpg

hnug99shfm4fosw3ghj.jpg

Comments are welcome

Happy terraining, with new style.

Best Ideas Comes When You're Not Thinking
-> The Land Of Wonders
-> Simple Equipment System TuT

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
>>
Further part is in progress right now:
Don't post 'till I finish

Daxtreme said:
Global Rules​

• * Only submit complete resources - do not put anything unfinished here. This includes, but isn't limited to half-complete tutorials, WIP spells, "will upload it tomorrow" systems and similar submissions. If you want to promote your unfinished work then there are other forums for that, namely Members' Projects.
    * Submissions with memory leaks will not be approved. Read tutorials on how to remove them if you don't know what they are.
    * You must include a prefix so we know what is the submission. If it is a spell, include the [Spell] prefix ([Spellpack] for more than 1 spell). If it is a system, the [System] prefix applies. For code snippets, the prefix is [Snippet], for tutorials: [Tutorial], for models: [Model], and for textures: [Texture].
    * Please be descriptive. Describe your spell, your system, your snippet, or your tutorial. Especially tutorials and systems.
    * If your submission requires a system or model in order to work, state it and credit the maker. An example of system would be the CSCache, the Local Handle Vars, and the such.
    * Please add at least 1 screenshot of your system/spell/snippet in action. Pictures are highly recommended in tutorials, depending on your subject.
    * Upload the map as an attachment rather than using some file hosting site. It probably wouldn't take much of your upload space and this way you can be sure that it will stay up as long as the site itself is.
    * We want Quality, not Quantity. Thus, submit only what you think is good! If your post contains something like "check out my crappy spell" it will hit graveyard right away.
    * Don't use a poll. It's a much better idea to simply use the already built-in thread rating system (the stars).
    * Please, please, avoid spelling and grammar mistakes. Make your submission clean and presentable.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
the terrain example at the end (that is if its big enough for 2 med sized bases)

(note itll be a while b4 i start working on this one, itll be a new genre for me so yea.... theres still some things i gotta learn)

B

benj_war3

The rest are good.... But the barrens are not that good... They are still good you know.. =))

joaoac

Reaction score
Welll... there are nothing new on this thread. I know all that issues cos I'm also (as yours, I can see) good at terraining and facelifting maps.

But it's still a good job that can encourage noobs to do a nice stylish map.
Nice work.

For that tip on starting a map with the shallow water. If the map start at 1 cliff level, and then you lower the terrain, it also can do rivers, right? (I'm not in home to test, but I think it works).

Oh, if you reduce the size of you pictures, it ll do the same effect and the thread will become less poluted.

+rep for the good job.

joaoac

Reaction score
No dude, don't take it personal. I spoke about the tutorial, not your pictures. They did a good work illustrating the steps. (perhaps you could reduce em a little ;) )
=)

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
Hey, linamus. You are pretty good at terraining. I'm going to submit my map at around 1.6 or so, and you can take a look at my terraining work around then. I think it looks nice for the map.

Nice tutorial, +rep from me.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Meh, you pretty much just said what each tool does, wich anyone with common sense either knows or can fuiger out fast... And its pretty short..

Daskunk

Reaction score
^ Make a better explanation one
Why, they arent needed to be explained is what I clearly said in my post. If I were to make a terraining tutorial, I would focus on somthing else.

Anyways, If some people acaully couldn't understand them right away, this would be a good tutorial.. :cool:

Daskunk

Reaction score
95% maps I've seen in bnet uses nothing but ussual walls. That inspired me to show people what can be done in a much better way. Ain't I'm right?
Huh, Well I sure don't played 95% of the maps then. Or Either that I dont play junky maps with horrible terrian.. o.0

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.