System Ultimaprotect

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> I thought of the workings and assembled it .

We worked on that together, unless you haven't noticed.

I do remember my last 3 days spent telling everybody there must be a way to make such a system. Now it's been created, much to my delight, and thanks to you, after numerous hours spent in the chat.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
You've been working on it for three days :eek:?

Huh. And I just had a crazy idea with ExecuteFunc and assembled it :eek:.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, the only thing that prevented me from coming up with something was a way to detect MapLock was gone without compiling an error when saving.

ANS: ExecuteFunc.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
If maplock counts the lines, can't you just edit the lines (replacing them with local integer iadf and local integer jadf)

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And UltimaProtect protects MapLock with all kinds of deadly traps. :)

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
I found something to replace Ultimaprotect!

JASS:
call ExecuteFunc("M"+"a"+"p"+"L"+"o"+"c"+"k"+"N"+"o"+"r"+"t"+"h"+"_"+"G"+"e"+"t"+"I"+"n"+"d"+"e"+"x")

Yes. Place this in some random initializer, anywhere.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> PS. Another way to make the optimizer fail. <_<

What do you mean?

Good find Azlier :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are even better ways.
Open your map with an MPQ editor, and open war3map.wts, or w/e the file is called.
The one which holds all the TRIG_STRs.
Then add a few, which are parts of the function name, and when executing, use for example:
JASS:
call ExecuteFunc(&quot;TRIG_STR_005&quot; + &quot;a&quot; + &quot;TRIG_STR_001&quot; + &quot;fun&quot;)

I made quite a detailed post (more like a mini-tutorial) about doing this a while ago, I can't find it though. :D

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Thanks to Jesus4Lyf for MapLock and Daxtreme for testing it.

And WastedSavior, the innocent bystander to this madness.

Now, we pray to (insert deity here) that Blizzard doesn't fix the return bug. Or C2I.

:cool: Honorable Mention

I have a question, if blizzard does fix it, what would happen to maps implementing this? Would they constantly crash? or would they just no longer protect?

dare2care

Reaction score
Frankly, MapLock is easy to remove. Scroll to map top, remove. Scroll to map bottom, remove. Done. Ultimaprotect makes removing MapLock a nightmare.
Small note - You only have to remove the bottom trigger.

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
The ProtectChainFunc thing is pointless. It adds no benefits besides renaming some of the functions. You still require the last name (this) to be the same, which means I can find who's calling this, and who's calling who's calling this, and so forth.

ExecuteFunc makes the system conspicuous. Not to mention you're calling ExecuteFunc recursively or on non-trivial expressions, which makes the system easy to find. People don't use ExecuteFunc that way.

But the main problem with this system is it does nothing if MapLockNorth_GetIndex exists. That's not the easiest way to disable protection systems like maplock. If I was trying to disable map lock, I would change the getindex function to return a constant, or find where the function is called and replace THAT with a constant, or look for typical crash methods and remove them.

I'm not just being theoretical here, either. I took the example map, inserted functions which caused map lock to fire (tested to make sure), then commented out map lock's crash line. The map started just fine after that.

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
@strilanc:...

Think about that for a second.

Maplock only protects against people who don't know how to remove it.
This system tries to detect when maplock is removed in a particular way.
What is the purpose of this system?

I think you just made an argument against this system, not for it.

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
i think it works like this
maplock protects your map from people who dont know about maplock
ultimaprotect protects your maplock from people who dont know about ultimaprotect
its a maplock-lock

Strilanc

Veteran Scripter
Reaction score
i think it works like this
maplock protects your map from people who dont know about maplock
ultimaprotect protects your maplock from people who dont know about ultimaprotect
its a maplock-lock

If they know enough to unprotect the map and remove maplock, this is not going to be an obstacle. Not even close. Particularly because it uses ExecuteFunc.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
Why must the necromancers find this? Is it alright if I send this to the Graveyard?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.