Warcraft 4: The Awakening - |Map of the Week #10|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
Unit ideas you say? Lets see what I can come up with...the drawings look pretty beastly by the way.
Ok, the first drawing with the caster-looking dude looks sort of like a Skeletal Warlock. If you went that way, it might look something like this:
Skeletal Warlock: Primary casting unit, has the Static Charge ability(gives a unit the lightning orb ability as a buff for a bit) and can learn Buff Combustion(AOE, does damage or mana burn to all units in the area depending on how many buffs/debuffs the units have) and Skeletal Repairs(Either revives a nearby skeletal unit, or heals a skeletal unit for a lot of hitpoints).
For the giant skull crab thing, it looks like it might be a parasitic creature, so for it:
Gorgonoid: Undead parasitic heavy melee unit, can learn the Infest ability(autocast melee, infests a unit with parasitic worms which periodically take life from the infected unit and give it to the casting unit).
The last thing might look like this:
Razorbones: Heavy ranged unit, flings spiked bones at enemies. Can learn the Anti-dynamics ability(shoots spikes at air units, dealing damage and bringing them to the ground. However, they can still move, but very slowly. "Clipping their wings", if you will).
Sounds like you already have an idea for the ward unit, so I don't think I need to give you an idea there.

Great ideas! Thanks :)

Also... It's finally happened! I've made a ModDB profile for WC4: TA. You can find it here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/warcraft-4-the-awakening

Enjoy! :D

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
I'm out of ideas for what I can do, and this sounds like a good idea and a stable project (Is it?).

So if you need any help with terraining I can help you.

kingbdogz

Reaction score
I'm out of ideas for what I can do, and this sounds like a good idea and a stable project (Is it?).

So if you need any help with terraining I can help you.

That would be great if you could help terraining. If you really want to help, when do you think you could start? because I'm pretty much starting full on production on the campaign at the moment, as nearly all campaigns have been written out, but still need polishing from Wc3shady. Thanks for the offer +rep!

iPeez

Reaction score
I can start when you want me to. Just note that after the next week I will be gone for 1 1/2 week. Also I have exsams soon, which is very important so I won't let this take my time!

-iPeez

kingbdogz

Reaction score
I can start when you want me to. Just note that after the next week I will be gone for 1 1/2 week. Also I have exsams soon, which is very important so I won't let this take my time!

-iPeez

Of course, of course your education and life always comes first! Before we start anything though I have to organize a good way to communicate easily so that we can keep up to date with progress we have made. Any ideas? MSN could work, but not everyone is in the same time zone so it might be a little hard. Hotmail could work too, but it would not be instant. We have to organize a time where all the team members are available, or at least most of them, where we can discuss the progress and show our work in progress.

iPeez

Reaction score
Well somesort of instant message communication, a chat :)P) will work.
The mapping needs organizing:

-----------TERRAINER(s):----------CODER(s):---------------
ROUND 1: Terrain map 1 ----------- Nothing ----------------
ROUND 2: Terrain map 2 ----------- Code map 1 ------------
ROUND 3: Extras on map 1 --------- Code map 2 ------------
ROUND 4: Extras on map 2 --------- Nothing ----------------
ROUND 5: Terrain map 3 ----------- Fix map 1 ---------------
ROUND 6: Nothing ----------------- Fix map 2 ---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------

Thats how I have worked before. Well, in basics. It works, if there are serrious people.

kingbdogz

Reaction score
Well somesort of instant message communication, a chat :)P) will work.
The mapping needs organizing:

-----------TERRAINER(s):----------CODER(s):---------------
ROUND 1: Terrain map 1 ----------- Nothing ----------------
ROUND 2: Terrain map 2 ----------- Code map 1 ------------
ROUND 3: Extras on map 1 --------- Code map 2 ------------
ROUND 4: Extras on map 2 --------- Nothing ----------------
ROUND 5: Terrain map 3 ----------- Fix map 1 ---------------
ROUND 6: Nothing ----------------- Fix map 2 ---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------

Thats how I have worked before. Well, in basics. It works, if there are serrious people.

Thats a very good system, I will look into making a workable version that applies to everybody in the team. Thanks for that :thup:

wc3shady

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hey, great to hear the update!

Prepare for a mega post.

The Splinter is a great skull of huge proportions that has risen from the earthy depths to aid the Forsaken in its struggle for order. Their great flags of war and might give hope and lust to units surrounding it, making it a worth warrior on the battlefield.

The Splinter gives units surrounding it a speed bonus. Not built but summoned (notes on the Forsakens building method later).

First, the picture looks very good. It's an interesting take on the Forsaken - not the bones - but the style of your artwork.

The speed bonus makes sense - see why below.

Also, to have a more detailed opinion off this, I would have to know if the "summoning" part of it is normal, or if its a special feature of the Forsaken race.

I know my drawings suck (I'm only 14 so I guess thats my excuse), but you get the general idea. Instead of making the Forsaken like the Undead (which has some Flesh on their units), I tried to drift off from that concept and went on to full on Skull and Bone units and I ended up with some really unique units.
Your drawings are pretty good. Don't blame it on your age though (well, maybe I'm just saying that because I'm actually 14 too). And your drawings are unique... let me give you some ideas for them.

Forsaken Mage w/ Horns -
This guy looks like a mix between demons and the dead. For a name - how about "Spawn" or (even better) "Ember Spawn". For abilities - he should be pretty offensive, with a mix of death and fire spells. He could initially auto-cast Sanction of Flames, which lets allies temporarily attack through enemies (similar to the Glaive Thrower's "Vorpal Blades" upgrade). Then, he learns "Burning Geyser", which summons a geyser from the ground. This geyser periodically forces nearby enemies to move towards it. Finally, he then learns "Dead Smoke", which creates a smoke in an area that causes enemies that move through it to have reduced movement speed and attack speed (only while they're in the smoke). If an enemy dies while in the smoke, a Skeleton will rise from it's corpse.

Ward Guy on Broom -
I have a feeling you already had ideas for this guy.

Skull-Spider Guy - Sort of an interesting guy. I'd call him a "Hollowed One", however that's not a great name. I'm guessing mid game melee for him. These guys should be fast, low health, low damage, and high attack speed. They should be able to Burrow, and then learn the "Hollow Aura", which increases allied damage/attack speed. This aura would be effective underground.

Dead Guy W/ Skirt Who Looks Like He's Disco Dancing -

This guy... is interesting. I think he should be pretty slow T1.5 melee with piercing attacks, and also good range for a melee unit. You should call him "Dead Waker", who can learn "Eternal Reach", which pulls a target unit to him.

General Census on the Forsaken - Overall, I think the Forsaken should be a very strong, but very slow (has anybody ever played Dawn of War? Think Necrons). But, also they have a few exceptions ("Hollowed One") and they also have the Splinter w/ speed bonus aura.

Also hey I'm still waiting on that PM :thup:.

Gorgonoid: Undead parasitic heavy melee unit, can learn the Infest ability(autocast melee, infests a unit with parasitic worms which periodically take life from the infected unit and give it to the casting unit).
The last thing might look like this:
Interesting, but this gave me a pretty good idea.
Infested Growth - This is a sort of insect monstrosity unit. It is very weak in all fashions, including movement speed. But, it can Burrow, and move while Burrowed (and it will move very fast). It has an ability it can use underground called "Infest", which can be used on only enemy buildings. It deals damage and periodic damage to the building, but kills the Infested Growth.

Razorbones: Heavy ranged unit, flings spiked bones at enemies. Can learn the Anti-dynamics ability(shoots spikes at air units, dealing damage and bringing them to the ground. However, they can still move, but very slowly. "Clipping their wings", if you will).

Interesting... however I don't have many ideas on that it's good. Anti-Dynamics is good too: however I think it should work sort of like the Warden's Fan of Knives ability, only in the air and doing no damage (only attack/movement speed deduction).

iPeez

Reaction score
Great post! ^^

I guess you're in the team aswell ;P, I had little to do and made a setup on how the team CAN work, if you like it of course.

Attachments

• Round.doc
    39 KB · Views: 274

wc3shady

Reaction score
Thanks

In this project, what I mainly do is review his storyline for the whole campaign, and revise it, using what he wants to do with it and I make it... professional? Polished? Something like that. And I like to think that I have some pretty good ideas.

The thing about me terraining, is there are two problems. First - my time is already very limited, and second - I have a pretty big campaign I'm working on as well. Though, I like to have two things I work on at once (Right now it's Warcraft IV: the New Age and the Race Building Contest over at wc3campaigns). So next weekend I could probably make a map for kingbdogz.

And I like your set up :thup:.

captainrads

Reaction score
Hey, great to hear the update!

Prepare for a mega post.

First, the picture looks very good. It's an interesting take on the Forsaken - not the bones - but the style of your artwork.

The speed bonus makes sense - see why below.

Also, to have a more detailed opinion off this, I would have to know if the "summoning" part of it is normal, or if its a special feature of the Forsaken race.

Your drawings are pretty good. Don't blame it on your age though (well, maybe I'm just saying that because I'm actually 14 too). And your drawings are unique... let me give you some ideas for them.

Forsaken Mage w/ Horns -
This guy looks like a mix between demons and the dead. For a name - how about "Spawn" or (even better) "Ember Spawn". For abilities - he should be pretty offensive, with a mix of death and fire spells. He could initially auto-cast Sanction of Flames, which lets allies temporarily attack through enemies (similar to the Glaive Thrower's "Vorpal Blades" upgrade). Then, he learns "Burning Geyser", which summons a geyser from the ground. This geyser periodically forces nearby enemies to move towards it. Finally, he then learns "Dead Smoke", which creates a smoke in an area that causes enemies that move through it to have reduced movement speed and attack speed (only while they're in the smoke). If an enemy dies while in the smoke, a Skeleton will rise from it's corpse.

Ward Guy on Broom -
I have a feeling you already had ideas for this guy.

Skull-Spider Guy - Sort of an interesting guy. I'd call him a "Hollowed One", however that's not a great name. I'm guessing mid game melee for him. These guys should be fast, low health, low damage, and high attack speed. They should be able to Burrow, and then learn the "Hollow Aura", which increases allied damage/attack speed. This aura would be effective underground.

Dead Guy W/ Skirt Who Looks Like He's Disco Dancing -

This guy... is interesting. I think he should be pretty slow T1.5 melee with piercing attacks, and also good range for a melee unit. You should call him "Dead Waker", who can learn "Eternal Reach", which pulls a target unit to him.

General Census on the Forsaken - Overall, I think the Forsaken should be a very strong, but very slow (has anybody ever played Dawn of War? Think Necrons). But, also they have a few exceptions ("Hollowed One") and they also have the Splinter w/ speed bonus aura.

Also hey I'm still waiting on that PM :thup:.

Interesting, but this gave me a pretty good idea.
Infested Growth - This is a sort of insect monstrosity unit. It is very weak in all fashions, including movement speed. But, it can Burrow, and move while Burrowed (and it will move very fast). It has an ability it can use underground called "Infest", which can be used on only enemy buildings. It deals damage and periodic damage to the building, but kills the Infested Growth.

Interesting... however I don't have many ideas on that it's good. Anti-Dynamics is good too: however I think it should work sort of like the Warden's Fan of Knives ability, only in the air and doing no damage (only attack/movement speed deduction).
Hmm...you've got some good ideas too, I guess its up to King to decide. Infested Growth sounds familiar...something like that has got to be in one of these campaigns, regardless its a good idea. You're probably right about anti-dynamics, but the unit model would have to be adjusted to have spikes all over it for that to look right.

For the "Hollowed One", you could make him a hero and call him the Hollow Man.

sidove

Reaction score
Yay update :)!

For the Mage Skeleton make thing:
A ranged unit that is based on heavy damage spells but have low health.
Abilities:
Death's Mark Marks a unit with a death mark dealing 150 damage to the target and dealing half amount to yourself if the target dies of the spell then the caster get's healed by 50% of the dying units health.
Plague Smoke
Creates a disease cloud and infects every enemy unit moving in it. The infection deals 2 damage in 15 sec and if the infected dies he spawns a new cloud and a skeleton from it.
Mind Confusing
Confuses the enemy's mind making it go insane and move around in circles and attack everybody that it comes near, friend or enemy.

kingbdogz

Reaction score
Great ideas everyone, I will definitely consider all of them. Just a small update on the progress. After nearly a year of planning and balancing all the races new units, setting out campaigns, refining, and lore creating, I have finally started the first Undead mission! First of all, I would like to give you a small overview of the new Undead campaign.

Ten years has past and while the third war is at a halt, threats are still occupying the world of Azeroth. The Forsaken and their Queen have grown stronger each and every year, plauging the world with Blight. Although there are casualties caused by the Forsaken, their intention is quite nuetral as of now, which is very unlike the previous Undead nations. They've settled bases all over Northrend as the Lich King sleeps in his Frozen Thone and his Undead army hides waiting for the right time to strike. The Lich King finally awakens, disgusted with his surroundings, and thus an Epic war between the Lich Kings army and the Forsaken endures a quater of the campaign, the rest is somewhat similar to the original, but has a lot more plot twists that you may find really interesting.

The first missions objective is to create five expansions (Yes, five, in the start the Lich King orders you to do this and his reason was if they could get enough resources they could build a great army) and then destroy a Forsaken city on the other side of the map. The other side of the map is not revealed to the player (as in you cannot see or go into it) until you create five expansions. While create these expansions, you get sub-quests to rise all Undead warriors from the ten Graveyards around the first half of the map, this is the only way to get units as you cannot build a Crypt or any other Warrior producing buildings. The Hero you are playing as in this is Gar'Nash, an Orcish Skeleton now pronounced a Death Knight. He leads the rising of the Undead, and as do many other Undead commanders ordered by the Lich King but on other areas of Northrend (off the map). The only way to rise units from the Graveyards is with a Shade, which can be aquired by capturing an abandoned Sacrificial Pit close to your base. That is all I have gotten to so far, tell me what you guys think. :thup:

captainrads

Reaction score
Great ideas everyone, I will definitely consider all of them. Just a small update on the progress. After nearly a year of planning and balancing all the races new units, setting out campaigns, refining, and lore creating, I have finally started the first Undead mission! First of all, I would like to give you a small overview of the new Undead campaign.

Ten years has past and while the third war is at a halt, threats are still occupying the world of Azeroth. The Forsaken and their Queen have grown stronger each and every year, plauging the world with Blight. Although there are casualties caused by the Forsaken, their intention is quite nuetral as of now, which is very unlike the previous Undead nations. They've settled bases all over Northrend as the Lich King sleeps in his Frozen Thone and his Undead army hides waiting for the right time to strike. The Lich King finally awakens, disgusted with his surroundings, and thus an Epic war between the Lich Kings army and the Forsaken endures a quater of the campaign, the rest is somewhat similar to the original, but has a lot more plot twists that you may find really interesting.

The first missions objective is to create five expansions (Yes, five, in the start the Lich King orders you to do this and his reason was if they could get enough resources they could build a great army) and then destroy a Forsaken city on the other side of the map. The other side of the map is not revealed to the player (as in you cannot see or go into it) until you create five expansions. While create these expansions, you get sub-quests to rise all Undead warriors from the ten Graveyards around the first half of the map, this is the only way to get units as you cannot build a Crypt or any other Warrior producing buildings. The Hero you are playing as in this is Gar'Nash, an Orcish Skeleton now pronounced a Death Knight. He leads the rising of the Undead, and as do many other Undead commanders ordered by the Lich King but on other areas of Northrend (off the map). The only way to rise units from the Graveyards is with a Shade, which can be aquired by capturing an abandoned Sacrificial Pit close to your base. That is all I have gotten to so far, tell me what you guys think. :thup:
Sounds good, a bit of alternative playing style helps spice up the game play. But will the units you get from the graveyards be the only ones you get? Or can you go back to the graveyard with another shade to get more units? Seems like the player would be stuck if enough units die...maybe a periodic spawning of units once the graveyards are captured?

kingbdogz

Reaction score
Sounds good, a bit of alternative playing style helps spice up the game play. But will the units you get from the graveyards be the only ones you get? Or can you go back to the graveyard with another shade to get more units? Seems like the player would be stuck if enough units die...maybe a periodic spawning of units once the graveyards are captured?

Thanks :) Well at the beginning you start off with your Hero and three Undead Archers. Also note that the units you arise from the Graveyards aren't first tier units, you can get Basalisks, Abominations, Skeletons, and even Necromancers. When you get to the City destroying part, each building you destroy gives you Ghouls from the bone remains and there are three Main points you MUST capture to contain the city. With each capture you get ten random Skeletal units (This could be Skeletal Orcs, Skeleton Warriors, Undead Archers, or more).

Also: Page 50! :D

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
you will definitely need an anti-cheat system
I suggest you to add it

or did you done it already? sorry if I missed something

btw will you include some RPG missions? like with Rexxar in TFT (I mean in later campaigns)

sidove

Reaction score
Prepare for a long post of unit ideas :)
Units
Race: Forsaken
Model:http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=117691&prev=search=forsaken&d=list&r=20
Forsaken Ripper
This forsaken was once a good and loyal assassin until it died, it is a fast elite unit.
Abilities:
Stealth
Makes the ripper invisible but it moves 24% slower.
Deep Cut
The ripper cuts through the targets vines making it bleed and deal 5hp per second. Last 15 seconds.
Stealth Tactic
Every 8 hit the ripper has a chance to turn indivisible for 4 sec.

Jirgael Deadeye
Modelhttp://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=113615&prev=d=list&r=200&c=4
Hero
This is a expert marksman with long range and good at attempting to damage it's enemys.
Bone Friend
Makes the marksman invisible while near corpses in X area.
Headshot
Gives the marksman a X/X/X chance to headshot a unit dealing the distance between the target and the marksman.
Donnu anymore for him :S

Stableyard
Building
Model:http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=107657&prev=d=list&r=200&c=4
Here can you build all your horse units.

Unit
Modelhttp://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=104995&prev=d=list&r=200&c=4
Wraith
Abilities:
Mind Control
Controls an enemy units mind for X seconds but making you unmoved able.
Curse of Life
Every time the targeted unit is attacked you and nearby friendly's get healed.
Mana Link
Curses a unit so every time the unit uses a spell the Wraith get's it's used mana.

Unit
Modelhttp://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=48206&prev=d=list&r=200&c=4
Shadow Walker
Abilities:
Shadow Sight
Makes the unit see invisible units.
Sharped Blade
The Shadow Walker sharpens his blade making next hit deal damage over time.

Unit
Modelhttp://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=48221&prev=d=list&r=200&c=4
Slicer Throne
Abilities:
Throne Slicer
Makes a skeleton sit on the throne increasing the slicers range and damage.

Hero/Unit
Modelhttp://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=48124&prev=d=list&r=200&c=4
Unholy Warrior or Death Caller
Abilities:
Sorry don't have any ideas for this one :S

Building
Modelhttp://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=50075&prev=d=list&r=200&c=4
Forsaken Armory
Where you upgrade armor and weapons?

Unit
Modelhttp://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=47984&prev=d=list&r=200&c=4
Death Bringer
Abilities:
Same as the tureen Spirit Walker.

Unit
Modelhttp://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=47701&prev=d=list&r=200&c=4
Forsaken Ranger
Abilities:
Hunting Stance
Gives the ranger X more range but slows it movement speed by 50%.

Hope the ideas helped:thup:

And i think the first mission sound nice you should ad a tourtrial how to play with the races in the quest menu or in the beginning of the champain so it comes a dialog like this: Do you want to play the tourtrial before starting your first time?

wc3shady

Reaction score
Jirgael Deadeye
Modelhttp://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/r...%3D200%26c%3D4
Hero
This is a expert marksman with long range and good at attempting to damage it's enemys.
Bone Friend
Makes the marksman invisible while near corpses in X area.
Headshot
Gives the marksman a X/X/X chance to headshot a unit dealing the distance between the target and the marksman.
Donnu anymore for him :S

You gotta use this guy. And I mean majorly. I have some great ideas for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.