Learning World Editor

punkywunky

Reaction score
Do you guys know where to find or learn information about custom scripts? For example, I'm creating a specific amount of units every specific time and I don't want to cause a lag issue in the game. Some people told me that I could use custom scripts to remove or destroy the location of the spawn to reduce the amount of lag. Any information would be helpful

punkywunky

Reaction score
I also have another question. There is a specific distance that you can build the town hall from the gold mines and I want to change this so I can build my town hall close to or even next to the gold mine. Is there a way to do this?

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
Yes, lots of ways

One can be to add the ability "return gold and lumber" after the building (townhall) is finished constructed. Which mean, remove that ability in "object editor".

Event: A unit finishes construction
Cond: none or type of constructed = townhall (incase you got more or smthn)
Actions: Unit - Add Return gold and lumber to Constructed Unit

Or you can do the same thing with the gold mine, if you are able to build it yourself, etc.

punkywunky

Reaction score
I also want to know how to edit or add some text under the quest tab like I want to put in general Information about the game, What to do, Credits, Who made it, etc. Thanks a lot guys.

zukmar

Reaction score
you just do something like this:
Code:
Quests
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Quest - Create a Optional quest titled Credits with the description Thanks to Zukmar fo..., using icon path ReplaceableTextures\WorldEditUI\Editor-Random-Unit.blp

punkywunky

Reaction score
For my 2nd problem in this thread, how come some structures couldn't be built near or close to the gold mine?

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
They are classified under : "Town Hall" in the Unit classification.
If you remove this, that MAY help, as the Editor will not restrict it's location from the gold mine.
Also, apparently, [Thought I'm not sure] If you are using the TFT Editor, then try looking under Advanced and Game Play Constants. Might be in there.

punkywunky

Reaction score
I tried removing the unit classification but to no avail and I'm using the Blizzard World Editor btw. I looked in the Gameplay Constants but didn't find anything. Thanks for your help though.

Fir3l0rD

Reaction score
Do you guys know where to find or learn information about custom scripts? For example, I'm creating a specific amount of units every specific time and I don't want to cause a lag issue in the game. Some people told me that I could use custom scripts to remove or destroy the location of the spawn to reduce the amount of lag. Any information would be helpful

if that tutorial is too complicated, the way to do what your trying to do (if i understood correctly) might be
Code:
Unit Create
    Events
        Time - Every (whatever interval you want) seconds of game time
    Conditions
        (any conditions you want)
    Actions
        Set unitCreatePoint = (the place you want the units to spawn [you can   make this change whenever you want])
        Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        (any conditions you want)
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Create (# of units you want) (unit type you want) for (Picked player) at unitCreatePoint facing Default building facing degrees
                    Else - Actions
                        Do nothing
          Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_unitCreatePoint)

if the point is not actually changing there is no need to use a variable, you can just make a region, and you can ditch the custom script and not worry about memory leaks (I THINK). I am rather new to this as well.

BTW, this is probably available more in detail from someone else. But to remove a point the script is:
call RemoveLocation(udg_[variable name])

To remove a unit group the code is:
call DestroyGroup(udg_[variable name])

There are most likely others for removing values from different variable types but these are the most commonly used by me.

Fir3l0rD

Reaction score
I tried removing the unit classification but to no avail and I'm using the Blizzard World Editor btw. I looked in the Gameplay Constants but didn't find anything. Thanks for your help though.

is it making you build it the town hall distance away from the mine? or is it the distance for normal buildings?

punkywunky

Reaction score
Fir3L0rD,

The problem is whenever I try to build a town hall, keep, castle, or farm, it always has to be away from the gold mine. I just can't build it close or even near the gold mine.

punkywunky

Reaction score
It happens in both ingame and editor.

In world editor, I can't automatically place townhalls or farms near the gold mines.

I placed my starting location near the gold mine and I have a trigger that constructs a town hall at my starting location. But when I went ingame, the town hall was constructed far away from the gold mines. I could place barracks or lumber mills next to the gold mine in the editor and ingame but not the town hall or farms too.

darkbeer

Beer is Good!
Reaction score
hm, try to change the unit pathing to sth else^^, hope that solves it :)

I guess if its pathing is a main pathing there has to be a certain distance between it and the mine.

Fir3l0rD

Reaction score
i made a building based off a farm and gave it the gold harvest and invulnerability and the goldmine model. With that i could place town halls in WE but i still couldn't build near a goldmine

K

KillroysMind

heres a website you can go to, witch has more general information i dont know if you have checked or not but it explanes how to do alot of generic stuff that could help you and you can always google warcraft3 world editor help if you get to desperate.
the website is : http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/
But this site is very helpful for specific questions witch (you probly noticed) but i find the people helpful they arnet meanies either (as seen on other forums) lol

punkywunky

Reaction score
After many testing and experimenting, the problem was the ability "Return Gold and Lumber".
This ability requires a certain distance between the gold mines and the structures that have this ability so I removed this ability from my structure and with the help of triggers, I gave the ability once my structure has finish construction.
Thanks for all your help guys!

punkywunky

Reaction score
I am trying to create a trigger that will create 15 zerglings for me at a region and at the end of the trigger it would destroy that temporary region to reduce the amount of memory leak. But I encountered some problems.

Zergs
Events
Time - Every 180.00 seconds of game time
Conditions
Actions
Set Temp_Point = South West <gen>
Unit - Create 15 Zergling for Player 6 (Orange) at (Center of Temp_Point) facing Default building facing degrees
Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Temp_Point)

I get an error saying that It is an invalid argument type(rect) and Expected a code statment(rect) for my custom script. Can anyone help?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.