A new type of combat system[need feedback]

envenger

Reaction score
Hi guys....
I am thinking of making a new type of combat system a little inspired from wow but some changes here and there.
It is for rpg type games

At first the movement of the hero will be like warcraft -3 like click type movement. And we cannot deselect he hero the hero will be automatically selected if we click some other point.

The camera is not locked on the hero though. I have played many games with camera locked but it is actually very difficult and annoying. Though the camera has a limit form the position of the hero. If the camera is moved far, it again comes back to the hero.

Then which we click on another unit, its life bar, mana bar comes on the top of the screen in a multiboard along with his buffs, debuffs.
You own buffs, debuffs along with the duration are also shown on the multiboard.

The spells are based on the base ability channel. When we cast a spell, it first checks if the targeted unit is 30 degree angel of which the hero is facing. Then it turns to the targeted unit and casts the spell. Or it says not facing the target.

General spells go into this category there will be aoe spells and targeting spells.

And for melee attack, the hero wont auto attack. There will be a bar in the multiboard which depends upon the speed of the weapon. Like it loads... And when it is max we can press a key to attack and it deals damage depending upon how much the bar was loaded. After one attack the bar starts loading again. The damage depends upon the loading of the bar.
The melee also follows the same rules for facing as spell. And the bar starts loading only if u hvae selected a target and that target is in 300 aoe of you.
Before the attack if target moves out of your attack range, The attack fails.

So any thoughts of this system. Well it be good for arena type maps and rpgs maps? Anything that can be added or removed?

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
write it in jass and it may be used, dont and almost no one will use it. Just a heads up, sounds like a neat idea, but I dont speak for everyone here and i know for a fact it has to be jass to be use-able

envenger

Reaction score
yup i will use jass never the less.. i don't know vjass though i can make any spell in jass.
Should i use multiboard or trackables(don't know the name exactly)?
I know using multiboard but not trackables..

GFreak45

Reaction score
vJass is jass, but with extra stuff, you dont want to use trackables, they arent easy to use and you get little benefit from them

envenger

Reaction score
The problem is if i use multiboard instead of trackables they look ugly
like the icons for buffs, debuffs will be small size which wont be a orpblem. But the size of icons in multiboard can't be larger so i tried to use 9 small icons to make a large icon. That large icon will be for the unit selected which would appear in the bar along with its health. But here is the problem these is a gap between the rows of multiboard which makes the icon a mess
like this...
38828305.png

GFreak45

Reaction score
you can actually put images on the screen, it is possible to create a buffs bar like that

GFreak45

Reaction score
no dude, a trackable is only used to see if the mouse moves over a certain point, like if you mouse over some place

envenger

Reaction score
Oh nice then :) can you link me how to do place images like that or screen?
I always thought those images to be trackables..

Btw is it easy to use?

GFreak45

Reaction score
nothing in wc3 is easy to use seeing as it is a relative term and it uses a drastically outdated language, i dont know how to use images on the screen but i know its possible, you can search tutorials but that is definately the direction you want to go in

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
I guess you would use the Cinematic - Fade Filter, Cinematic - Advanced Filter and Image trigger actions for this purpose.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Do a search for GetLocalPlayer. That function helps a lot in displaying effects for certain players only.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.