Crime Blizzard Suing Alleged StarCraft 2 Hackers

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
I'm unsure of how far this would go - do you guys think they would sue third party editor developers like me?
Yes.

They banned a popular map because it contained "dyke" as it data-mined a dictionary. They censor any threads on their forums that paint in the game in a negative light. They're trying to restrict every aspect of their games that people attempted to profit off of in any way, from replays to game titles to chat channels.

Blizzard wants complete control. They will sue you if they feel people are using your editor instead of their editor.

they copy StarCraft 2 copyrighted content into their computer's RAM in excess of the scope of their limited license, as set forth in the EULA and ToU, and create derivative works of StarCraft 2,
They're low enough to use that in court after-all.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
They banned a popular map because it contained "dyke" as it data-mined a dictionary.

We don't have enough evidence to say that the word 'dyke' was the only or main reason that map was banned, and as several others posted, it could very well be one of the lighter reasons (the last straw, if you will). A blizzard poster did in fact post in the very thread, and claim that they're working on fixing some of the 'automatic bans'. It was done systematically.

They're trying to restrict every aspect of their games that people attempted to profit off of in any way, from replays to game titles to chat channels.

I find it funny that you say Blizzard is restricting how people profit, when in fact they're implementing a new publish system that allows people to profit from their maps. I don't know what this claim about replays and chat channels has to do with restricting the community from profiting, but they have said they will be implementing chat channels.

they copy StarCraft 2 copyrighted content into their computer's RAM in excess of the scope of their limited license, as set forth in the EULA and ToU, and create derivative works of StarCraft 2,

Low enough? They're trying to stop a company from creating cheats for their game (and profiting off the people who get banned using their software, thereby taking no liability). They can't simply bring the company to court saying "they're making cheats for our game!" They have to have solid evidence.

I don't know why you're assuming the worst of Blizzard. They have to put these sorts of things into effect. I have faith that Blizzard will do what's right, in not attempting legal action on people (like Vestras) who attempt to do good for the community. They put these things into the EULA/ToU so that they can have evidence that holds up in court against people like these.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
Low enough? They're trying to stop a company from creating cheats for their game (and profiting off the people who get banned using their software, thereby taking no liability). They can't simply bring the company to court saying "they're making cheats for our game!" They have to have solid evidence.

I don't know why you're assuming the worst of Blizzard. They have to put these sorts of things into effect. I have faith that Blizzard will do what's right, in not attempting legal action on people (like Vestras) who attempt to do good for the community. They put these things into the EULA/ToU so that they can have evidence that holds up in court against people like these.
Convenient for them to bend the law and tread on people's constitutional rights isn't it? As long as it's with good intentions...

I'm a realist. Their EULA is ridiculous. They claim they have right to go through your computer without limitation, and download any data they find, for no reason.

Please remember that Blizzard is a corporation. Just because you like their games doesn't mean their legal department operates with the same ideals. Automated or not, banning 'dyke' is above and beyond what's expected of them, they may go the extra mile to sue you too.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Please remember that Blizzard is a corporation. Just because you like their games doesn't mean their legal department operates with the same ideals. Automated or not, banning 'dyke' is above and beyond what's expected of them, they may go the extra mile to sue you too.

Automated is automated. It means that it doesn't know the difference between good and bad uses of the word. Blizzard just doesn't want people publishing insulting maps, and then having to mediate between the complaint and the mapper. It's less hassle to simply make it automated.

Their legal department had better operate with the same ideals, otherwise they're going to get a bad reputation. I don't like the companies that tend to do evil, even if they do push good product out the door.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I'm a realist. Their EULA is ridiculous. They claim they have right to go through your computer without limitation, and download any data they find, for no reason.

Try reading the EULA, it doesn't say that. That'd be ridiculous indeed.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
And lots of other words that I don't even want to quote here.
http://forums.sc2mapster.com/general...xus-word-wars/
Alright I assumed a hundred people on blizzard's official forums had it right. Suppose not. Blizzard is still being a power monger.

I have read the EULA, and I meant the Terms of Use. Considering both titles carry the same meaning, it's an easy mistake to make.

17. Acknowledgments.
You hereby acknowledge and agree that:

A. WHEN RUNNING, THE GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) AND/OR CPU PROCESSES FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH WORLD OF WARCRAFT. AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE THAT, WHEN USED SIMULTANEOUSLY OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE GAME, WOULD CONSTITUTE A VIOLATION OF SECTIONS 1, 2 OR 9. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, BLIZZARD MAY (a) COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM WAS DETECTED; AND/OR (b) EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT OR THE EULA, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER.

B. WHEN THE GAME IS RUNNING, BLIZZARD MAY OBTAIN CERTAIN IDENTIFICATION INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER AND ITS OPERATING SYSTEM, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR HARD DRIVES, CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT, IP ADDRESS(ES) AND OPERATING SYSTEM(S), FOR PURPOSES OF IMPROVING THE GAME AND/OR THE SERVICE, AND TO POLICE AND ENFORCE THE PROVISIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT AND THE EULA.

C. Blizzard may, with or without notice to you, disclose your Internet Protocol (IP) address(es), personal information, Chat logs, and other information about you and your activities: (a) in response to a request by law enforcement, a court order or other legal process; or (b) if Blizzard believes that doing so may protect your safety or the safety of others.

It grants them the right to search your machine with no pre-requisite other than running the game. From there on, they only need to find an "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" in order to legally relay your data back to blizzard.

Interestingly, they define a "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" as any software used simultaneous or in connection with the game that would violate sections 1, 2, or 9. Don't let them fool you by calling it an "unauthorized program" as the real definition is rather clear, it can be a plugin.

If you use a plugin, the game may communicate INFORMATION WITHOUT LIMITATION back to blizzard . It doesn't set any ground rules as to what this information must pertain to, only examples.

There are no provisions for plugins or add-ons in the EULA or Terms of Service. I'd love for you to prove this wrong, but please read carefully.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/eula.html
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score

Where's that part? :rolleyes:

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Look at it this way: Don't use unauthorized third party programs while playing the game and they won't touch you.

Why would you want to anyhow?

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
Where's that part? :rolleyes:
I was rounding down.

I like Blizzard's games and all but I don't think that should give them the right to take the easy way and go through your RAM looking for cheat programs. They may not even follow their own rules.

Look at it this way: Don't use unauthorized third party programs while playing the game and they won't touch you.

Why would you want to anyhow?
StarCraft is still in it's infancy. If you happen to have World of Warcraft installed with plugins, they can bend it to allow going through your computer while you're playing SC.

What if certain maps end up being considering "software used simultaneous or in connection with the game"?

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Yes.

They banned a popular map because it contained "dyke" as it data-mined a dictionary. They censor any threads on their forums that paint in the game in a negative light. They're trying to restrict every aspect of their games that people attempted to profit off of in any way, from replays to game titles to chat channels.

Blizzard wants complete control. They will sue you if they feel people are using your editor instead of their editor.

Dyke wasn't the only word. It had a dictionary of over 30,000 words.

Whoremonger, jesus, lesbian, fag, fuck, bitch, cocksucker were also found, but not limited to. I don't have a complete list of words that were found.

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
They will sue you if they feel people are using your editor instead of their editor.

I think not, because other editors also have the potential to increase the replayability of their maps. Which is good for business. Srsly, did anyone read that huge post I wrote? I probably should have put more pictures...

And if you don't like it play something else. Caveat emptor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.