"Burning" effect on an attack

KILLJAW

Reaction score
Ok, I have a unit whose attack is similar to a flamethrower, and I want to have it so when he attacks another unit, the attacked unit is burned for x seconds with visible flames on the unit after the flamethrower unit stops attacking him. I'm sure there is a way to do this, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
Detect if a unit that is a flamethrower is attacking another unit and add the special affect to the attacked unit

Admit

Reaction score
You can also give him a spell with a buff that have the model of a flame. (Building Damage - Human Medium <Target>, Building Damage - Orc Medium <Target>.)

hopy

Reaction score
Well, make an abiltiy based on unholy frenzy and make the buff animation some flame thingy and customize the damage pers second and remove unwanted effects such as the attackspeed bonus. and dont forget to set the targets right.

Make a Dummy unit and let it cast the spell on the target unit.

But you can also just make an ability envenomed spears (orc wind riders ability) and change the buff to a flame effect etc etc.

Personaly I would go for the 2nd idea cause its easyr and less likely to fail.
The downside however is that you can see the ability on the unit and it can be annoying to hide it

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
Or you just give the flamethrower the ability Liquid Fire (with target changed to units and effect changed to something more flame-like (the current model is a ring of fire, might look bad on units))

hopy

Reaction score
Liquid Fire ... never thought of that one ... but its a good idea :D
Although in the end the effect would be 90% the same as my envenomed spears idea

KILLJAW

Reaction score
First of all, thank you for all of your suggestions :)

I tried liquid fire, but that didn't work at all. I set the targets allowed to ground and air, but it didn't do anything. I then tried the envenomed spears, and it does do the damage the way I want, but is there a way to change the sound effect and the poison splash animation?

I changed the art of the buff to liquid fire, but it still did the poison animation and I can't find a way to turn off the envenomed spears sound.

bOb666777

Reaction score
The sound comes with the animation. And try removing all targets allowed from Liquid fire, it might work. (And make sure you actually give the ability to the flamethrower guy).

If it doesn't work, here's what I suggest for the buff problem: try adding a new buff instead of editing the old one. Or give it the Liquid Fire buff (not just the art, the whole buff)

Though I still suggest liquid fire because poison cannot kill, it'll always keep the target at 1-2 hp, while liquid fire will.

jwallstone

Reaction score
I've found that the best burning effect to use is Breath of Fire (<Target>). Try it out. A lot of the others have random things thrown in, like oil or smoke etc, but Breath of Fire is pretty much the canonical "on fire" effect.

KILLJAW

Reaction score
In theory liquid fire should work, but no matter what I try, it simply won't work. I've used the original liquid fire buff, and I've also tried making a new buff. I've changed the targets allowed from buildings to air & ground enemies, and it still does nothing. Is there something I'm missing?

bOb666777

Reaction score
Like I said, try removing all targets from Liquid Fire. Make the whole field empty.

KILLJAW

Reaction score
I tried it that way as well, still no luck. I guess I'll have to do it via triggers, thanks for your help though.

Edit: Ok, so I'm trying to do this with triggers, but there is a problem when generating the breath of fire effect. I want it to apply the special effect to the unit, wait three seconds, and then remove the special effect. The problem with this is, however, that when I set an integer=last created special effect, if the unit switches targets, or another unit w/ the same attack chooses a target, "last created special effect" is now different, because the trigger applies the breath of fire special effect to the new target before 3 seconds are up, so the original unit w/ the breath of fire effect on it will never have that effect destroyed and so he will be on fire indefinitely.

Does anyone know a way around this?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.