Can't play warcraft in any way.

luke20054

Reaction score
When i try to load Warcraft III i get this:

Warcraft III was unable to intialize DirectX 8.1. Please ensure you have DirectX 8.1 or newer installed and that your display drivers are current. DirectX 8.1 may be found on your Warcraft III Install CD under options.

I have had a few problems with virus's recently and the registry, I have tried installing DirectX from the CD and it says i have a newer version, i also getting the same error to do with DirectX with other programs.

If i can uninstall it then i can get it fixed :p However there is some problems to this, i can't search and i can't see hidden folders

Anyone got an answer to my prob?
Many thanks in advance :)

luke20054

Reaction score
I heard many people had problem running Wc3 after the patching, and also that this should help:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displaylang=en

I can't say for sure, though. Since I never had that problem. :p

No joy ^^
i don't think it's patch related, i had it working fine for ages, then the virus's and a bit of the registry going missing, i have had this problem, tried re-installing it and found that i still had the same prob :banghead:

Thanks for trying though:thup:, any other idea's :)

Chewbalka

Reaction score
No joy ^^
i don't think it's patch related, i had it working fine for ages, then the virus's and a bit of the registry going missing, i have had this problem, tried re-installing it and found that i still had the same prob :banghead:

Thanks for trying though:thup:, any other idea's :)

Same thing happend to me exactly after it stopped working i stopped playing warcraft for a couple months and decided to give it one more try and it worked fine for some reason. i dont know why at all though
I suggest cotacting blizzard or something like that.

luke20054

Reaction score
Y will try and contact them, hmm . . i might try getting a more updated version of DirectX first and seeing if i can overwrite the DirectX that already exists :p (you never know, it might work ^^) erm I've also got another problem which i need help with :(

My corsair, I'm sure this shouldn't be possible but my corsair won't allow me to access it, well it does and it doesn't, when i double click on it from My Computer instead of just giving me a page full of files etc, i get a list of programs such as

ACD See 9 Photo Manager
Adobe Reader 8.1
Application Deployment Support Library
Firefox
Internet Explorer
Microsoft Office Document Imaging
etc . . . .

Note: i never receive the option Open Folders or anything like that, only a list of programs :nuts: some crazy shit :nuts:

:eek: Any ideas? :) Special thanks for replies so far made by Chewbalka and Exide :p

luke20054

Reaction score
Yeah . . . so that didn't work.

Erm ok, if it's not DirectX it must be that the Driver is not current, what ever that means :D
Anyone know what that means? ;)

----------------------------------

I'm just curious, but erm is ATI some sort of Driver related program?
The reason I'm asking is, well, when this virus called wav2008 was going around trashing my comp i started to get a bit paranoid (the weed didn't help the matter) and started deleting a few programs and 1 was ATI, i re-installed it ofc.
hm just an idea :p

HappyPeasant

Reaction score
lol well back about nov/dec (comps been out that long and still is out lol) i left my comp on all day sunday no action (dsl) and i got a trojan idk what all i got in my comp but it screwed it over bad lol i played there for a while then my comp wouldnt start w3 or any program for that fact i had to open w3 through opening a WE map then test play and i got on my comp that way.... problem is that by this time the comps internet conection already got hit so i played alot of off line games lol were this leads is that that virus might have destroyed your essentials to anything that might have been needed for it so you might have to get it whiped out and start from scratch lol only cost something like 100$ where i live lol if you work that shouldnt be a problem sorry i couldnt help. :(

luke20054

Reaction score
^^lol

Must be a different problem, if you can play through world editor by clicking a map, i just get the same error, well bit different but relatively the same.:)

Just got system restore working and help and support/had this malware called wav2008, tricky devil :D ( Got help from here http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=117798 awesome site for when your really in the shit :eek:^^:eek: )

I could revert now, only problem is, my corsiar is infected (Well not operating) so i cant add things too it and i've been very busy over the last week, used up like 6GB, i know it's ridiculous. I'm going to have to learn how to conserve my memory a bit more i think :eek:

Anyway thanks for trying :thup: (or just giving your personal experience :))

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
Viruses are nasty things, I sugest you google spybot search and destroy, it is a free antispyware program, but it can also detect most trojans.

Ps I am currently useing 375 gigs of space, only have 860 gigs of free space left :D

luke20054

Reaction score
Viruses are nasty things, I sugest you google spybot search and destroy, it is a free antispyware program, but it can also detect most trojans. :cool:

Ps I am currently useing 375 gigs of space, only have 860 gigs of free space left :D
:D

Yeah got all the necessary bits 'n' piece's i.e
SpyBot
HijackThis
Hitman (causes slowing, removed it)
Just did ComboFix and got system restore working :p

Dameon

Reaction score
If it is still your directx then go to ether google or microsoft.com and search for directx 9c installer.

Edit: type this into your run command box in your start menu (dxdiag) minus the ( and the ) and see if there is actualy some thing wrong with your direct x first.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Dameon

Reaction score
I have a 320 gig internal WD Hard Drive and a 1 tera bit WD external hard drive.

THE_X

Reaction score
why would somone need that much space!?!?!?!? do you use it for work because if so that would totaly explane it but a no just WTF

Dameon

Reaction score
I use the external for storage mostly, I am a big gamer so I have lot of game related stuff on suchs as mods, iso's, patches. And I have that stuff for a lot of games, the one that takes up the most space out of the games is elder scrolls III morrowind, I also keep my music and video's on it, as well as poems and storys written by others and my self. Software installers and stuff like that.

Ps. I own a copy of every thing I have on it, all the music games and video's, I put the iso's and such on there so I don't have to go hunting thru all my cd's and dvd's.

luke20054

Reaction score
Bump!

Sry about the delay in reply time, i have been v busy over the last 10 days :eek: ok, i put dxdiag in the run command box and noticed only 1 thing that was clearly wrong, here's what it says:

"The system is using the generic video driver. Please install video driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.
To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer."

Direct3D seems to be the problem, i can't test it so i'm guessing it's not working :banghead:

Ok your up :) how do i fix the damn thing :D ?

Many thanks to all who reply, oh yeah, i have 24GB remaining out of 60GB

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.