Computer slows to a hault

Derek0

Reaction score
Ok, I need some help here. I can't play like this anymore.

The problem: Whenever I'm playing a 3D game, my computer will run fine for some time, then slowly lose FPS until it becomes barely playable. At this time the CPU usage is at 100%, though there isn't a specific program taking up the CPU. Instead, all of my current running programs take up more and more CPU usage as I lose FPS. I got some sidebar widgets to monitor my CPU and GPU's temperature; when just running firefox my GPU temp is 56°C and both CPUs are about 48°C, and when at 1FPS and 100% cpu usage my GPU temp is 60°C and CPU is average 51°C. It doesn't seem to happen when just watching youtube video, but after it happens, youtube video is very choppy as well. If I shut down my computer and restart it, it will work for a less amount of time before losing FPS unless I let it rest for some time.

What I've done: First I had vista, and it took 5-7 battlegrounds before I lose it. I upgraded to windows 7, and it stopped. After a while, it started up again for no reason. I've lived with it for a while, but recently I went to update my drivers (a bunch of them at once, my BIOS, my chipset, my graphics card, my wireless card, and more) and then it would only last one battleground on WoW. So I went into msconfig and I turned off a bunch of processes and services (I checked each service online before disabling them, so I wouldn't disable something needed) and then it won't even last half a battleground. I re-enabled them and it still won't last half a battleground.

My Computer: I've got a Dell Studio XPS 1640, Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 @ 2.80GHz, 4GB Ram, 64-bit, ATI Mobility Radion HD 4670 with 1GB memory, Intel WiFi Link 5300 with PAN, with windows 7 upgraded from vista.

Anyone know what causes this kind of thing? Or what I can do to find out what's causing it and fix it? Any help or suggestions would be great.

xromania™

Reaction score
just install a XP to other partition and keep your windows 7 too - is called dual boot. And see if on the fresh instalation - XP - is hapening again. Then could be a defect piece, some hardware...

Have u scanned with antispywares programs?

Derek0

Reaction score
@Slapshot136: I took this picture a while ago, I'll have to take another one sooner after it happens next time. The CPU usage seems to drop if I keep the program minimized for a little while, hence this picture. But when I maximize the game again, it goes back to just as bad.

@xromania™: If you can link me a free copy of Windows XP then I'll try that.
I use Avast! which has anti-virus and anti-spyware, and yes I've scanned it but it didn't find anything that fixed my problem. I'm running another one now.

Attachments

• bad1.jpg
    bad1.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 243

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
link

now that is only legal for the 30 day trial unless you have a license, so anything more then that isn't allowed here

and go to "resource manager" and track your game - see if anything else is hindering it, if so, what, and also try setting it's priority to higher + lowering settings/resolution/etc.

Derek0

Reaction score
I've got 2 more screens from a different game this time, and this time they show the problem better. The speedfan was having trouble though so the processor temperature isn't there.

I won't lie, I'm a little leery to mess with dual boot partitions with an OS that only lasts 30 days on my new computer that's perfect except this problem. However, shortly after I got it, it had a harddrive problem (wonderful dell) and they had to do a clean install. It had this problem before and after this clean install.

I am also unsure what to look for while tracking it with the resource manager. I can check the most active program, but I don't know what to look for after that.

Attachments

• bad2.png
    bad2.png
    305.6 KB · Views: 215
  • bad3.png
    bad3.png
    261.5 KB · Views: 229

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
disable the sidebar - that's taking up 15% and you don't need it

also set the game's priority to high (in task manager)

Derek0

Reaction score
Ok, I got off my lazy butt and called dell to see what they think.

They think it is overheating. I can't tell with the metal case of the Studio XPS 16, and I've read the case gets hot. So I don't know if it's getting hot or overheating. But, they're gonna come over and put in new heatsinks, fans, and a new motherboard, and see if that helps.

Here's the part I don't understand: I told him I was playing 3D games, and my computer has 4GB of RAM. He told me that for 3D games, I should have at least 6GB.

The odd part is that he told me that getting more RAM would stop my processor from overheating. I don't understand how that's supposed to help, and don't know if he was just trying to sell their products. Can more memory make the processor stop overheating? Isn't 4GB enough anyway?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't think it's overheating if the temps are around 60º at max..

anyways, 4gb is still enough, but you can check how much your using in the resource monitor as well just to make sure

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
I'd say it is overheating -- my desktop did the same thing when I had my 6800GS. Splinter Cell DA would work fine until all of a sudden the FPS jumps down a cliff. I rest it a while and it will work fine again.

Derek0

Reaction score
I do believe I fixed the problem.

I had an idea to go into the BIOS (since that was changed when I got windows 7, then updated again when the problem started back up). I looked through the settings and disabled two of them:

Intel® SpeedStep™
-Allows more than two freq. range to be supported

Dynamic Acceleration
-Enable/Disable Intel Turbo Mode

So far I've been able to play 2 hours straight without any problems. My last question is, will disabling either of these create other problems in the future?

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I don't know anything about those BIOS options...I'd say google them and see what people say about disabling them.

As for your original problem...just in case it comes back...do you have anything "extra" plugged in, such as an external hard drive, flash drive, etc? I once had a similar issue and it was the external HD taking up a ton of CPU, even though it wouldn't show up in task manager.

Congrats on fixing that issue...looking in the BIOS was a good idea :D

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
disabling those shouldn't create any future problems, they are energy-saving features that slow down the processor to reduce idle power usage

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.