FL Studio 9 Released!

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
Time to patch up, I just read this on that news thingy in FL.

What's new you ask?

Few things I saw.

-Note Grouping - New feature (works on selecting, moving, resizing, deletion, muting, shifting using mouse-wheel).

-New Plugins -
>> -Autogun (free) - Sonic adventure, Based on Ogun.
>> -Sakura (demo)- String physical modelling instrument (this looks nice)
>> -Gross Beat (demo) - Real-time, audio-stream playback, pitch, position and volume manipulation effect
>> -Stereo Shaper (free) - Mid / Side stereo processing
>> -Vocodex - The last word in vocoders (free with Producer Edition).

-More Features for Lower $ Versions -
>> -SimSynth Live, DrumSynth Live, DX-10, WASP and WASP XT are now included in FL Studio (Fruity edition upwards).
>> -Fruity Reeverb 2 - Added Mid vs Side input signal processing.
>> -Fruity Wrapper - Now supports multiple inputs/outputs (free).
>> -Wavecandy - Visualization & analysis tools (free).
>> -Fruity Limiter - Compressor section now has sidechaining (free).

I'm pumped. :thup:

I've been using the 8.5 beta software for a while, doesn't look like too much has changed since then.

For some reason only one of the three listed download sites actually has version #9 available, and the first one won't let me run the program (some weird error after downloading is done).

I tried a redownload, still wouldn't install.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing the Sakura and vocodex plugins, (A little disappointed that most of them are demo's though).

I honestly didn't even hear about this until I read the post. Thanks for updating me! :D

I whould be pumped if it wasn't for I'm no FL user, back in time when i actually looked for a DAW, I thougth audio recoding in FL sucked. They seem to have updated this in this version, didn't they? However, I can't say im too dissapointed I didn't go for FL, it's an awesome program, but most DAWs practicaly works similar. :p

Much more exited on Komplete 6, how can it be so cheap? :cool:

Their new set of guitar samples are excellent by the way. It is definitely worth the time to upgrade.

You should check out Guitar Rig 4, it has excellent vst plugins for FL

I use it with my fender strat for great guitar effect and amp emulation, I wonder what it can do with FL

its sickkk.... does anyone know of good forums/ sites for support (other than the fl website)?

can you do musical typing with FL studio? (a la garage band)

Has more issues recognizing hardware, I don't think it supports DXI any more, it crashed like 20 times more often (then version 8) when I used it, and it used far more processing power.

I really am unimpressed with it.

-Note Grouping - New feature (works on selecting, moving, resizing, deletion, muting, shifting using mouse-wheel).

Use of hot keys makes this a silly addition that takes longer to write with.

-New Plugins -
>> -Autogun (free) - Sonic adventure, Based on Ogun.
>> -Sakura (demo)- String physical modelling instrument (this looks nice)
>> -Gross Beat (demo) - Real-time, audio-stream playback, pitch, position and volume manipulation effect
>> -Stereo Shaper (free) - Mid / Side stereo processing
>> -Vocodex - The last word in vocoders (free with Producer Edition).

Autogun/Ogun is a flashy way of taking samples and looping/bending the sound and putting them through ADSR envelopes. Its nothign new, just an easy way for technical new comers to 'create' sounds. It personally is a complete and utter waste of time.

Sakura is trumped by any proper string instrument, its benefit is its easy to use, and 'looks nice'.

Grossbeat is a mix of pre-existing effects all in one place. Its nothing new, just looks flashy.

Stereo shaper looks good, FL lacked a good pan/stereo centric effect that was easy to use. However, the pre-existing Buzz Effect Adapter Stereo FX works pretty much the same (but its got lots of knobs and is not user friendly).

As for Vocodex, a vocoder is a vocoder, I don't really understand how a new one will do anything differently then the older. Probably has built in compressors or something silly like that.

-More Features for Lower $ Versions -
>> -SimSynth Live, DrumSynth Live, DX-10, WASP and WASP XT are now included in FL Studio (Fruity edition upwards).
>> -Fruity Reeverb 2 - Added Mid vs Side input signal processing.
>> -Fruity Wrapper - Now supports multiple inputs/outputs (free).
>> -Wavecandy - Visualization & analysis tools (free).
>> -Fruity Limiter - Compressor section now has sidechaining (free).

Simsynth, drumsynth, etc etc were pre-existing, their just making them a bit more available.

Reverb changes are poor, I found reeverb 2 a weak effect as is, adding more to it just isn't making me excited. I did not try it, but I stay clear of FLs reverb effects if I can. I prefer the outsourced ones I have.

Fruity Wrapper supporting more inputs outputs is a bit silly since you could already rewire and hook in tons of inputs outputs into the software. I'm not sure what the purpose of their changes here are. (If anyone knows, bring it up, PM me).

Wavecandy is as the name suggests, eye candy. Waste of time.

Limiter including sidechaining is good. You could already side chain by sending various mix channels to others and layer volume outputs to automate FX, however not everyone knows how to do that, so this IS probably the best thing they've done with the new FL.

I whould be pumped if it wasn't for I'm no FL user, back in time when i actually looked for a DAW, I thougth audio recoding in FL sucked.

It does, I get by using a hardware recording device then dumping the recordings into FL.

They seem to have updated this in this version, didn't they? However, I can't say im too dissapointed I didn't go for FL, it's an awesome program, but most DAWs practicaly works similar. :p

They've updated it a bit, but I don't think they made any major changes. I think it still requires the ASIO setup for most recording. (Which is silly.)

Couldn't tell ya; I use audacity for my recording. The vocoder is fun to play with though.

Look into Pro Tools, its vastly superior to audacity (and you can rewire with it, meaning you could open FL's vocoder in it.)

i was hoping they would improve their synthesiser softwares...

They improved some, but importing VSTs is the way to go, as is programming your own (as in twiddling knobs, and not using presets).

You should check out Guitar Rig 4, it has excellent vst plugins for FL

I use it with my fender strat for great guitar effect and amp emulation, I wonder what it can do with FL

I agree, Guitar Rig 4 (and previous versions) are quite dandy and blow FL's guitars out of the water. Sound fonts however are far cheaper and often do the trick as well with proper FX and mixing.

its sickkk.... does anyone know of good forums/ sites for support (other than the fl website)?

Asking here, some of the members are pretty handy with it and can help you out with the basics, from what I've seen on the FL forums and whatnot, there are a lot of people who do things in weird roundabout ways, or just miss tools completely.

Feel free to email me at [email protected], I'm pretty decent with the software.

http://www.warbeats.com/Default.aspx is an excellent source for FL tutorials and such.

Warbeat rambles alot, and he writes pretty simple stuff, I have yet to see him do anything complex, so bare in mind he's an early stepping stone.

can you do musical typing with FL studio? (a la garage band)

FL is midi capable, and the typing keyboard is a default controller, so yes you can jam buttons on it and have the software play sounds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.