Freestyle Skiing

Polak

I am cool.
Reaction score
Are any of you decent freestyle skiers that have the ability to do tricks off of jumps? Right now, I can comfortable doing 180s, but I struggle with 360s. Any tips or advice you can give me on how to stick 360s? I typically have trouble with my rotation.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Easy as physics. All you need to do:

(Vertical)

When you're up in the air, and you're in a spinning motion, you will want your knees touching your chest for maximum spin. Curl up your body and let the gravity take you on.

(Horizontal)

What you need to do is to twist your waist starting from your initial direction to your intentional direction. For example, if you want to spin clockwise, your upper body must turn in the opposite direction before you jump into the air. When you jump, twist your upper body and your knees in the clockwise direction.

This is a hard part for you to master. You should be able to crash land yourself about 50 times before you actually understand how to control your reflexes. This is normal. Crash landing less than that, and you're a pro. More than that, well, let's just say you're not suited for it; do more exercises and hipp reflexes before you tackle it.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Easy as physics. All you need to do:

(Vertical)

When you're up in the air, and you're in a spinning motion, you will want your knees touching your chest for maximum spin. Curl up your body and let the gravity take you on.

(Horizontal)

What you need to do is to twist your waist starting from your initial direction to your intentional direction. For example, if you want to spin clockwise, your upper body must turn in the opposite direction before you jump into the air. When you jump, twist your upper body and your knees in the clockwise direction.

This is a hard part for you to master. You should be able to crash land yourself about 50 times before you actually understand how to control your reflexes. This is normal. Crash landing less than that, and you're a pro. More than that, well, let's just say you're not suited for it; do more exercises and hipp reflexes before you tackle it.

Wrong. It's not just rotating like you would on the ground, as the skis will make it harder. Therefore you need more power in your rotation.

Also, are you skiing twintips or snowblades? If snowblades, rotating should be easy, but really, it's nothing you should get into because it has nothing to do with the way you rotate on twintips, really.

If twintips, you should try to ride a lot of switch and try to rotate while skiing, like riding a bit, rotate 180 degrees, ride switch a bit, rotate 180, then ride a little bit more, then rotate 360 degrees -> repeat. That should give good practice and let you know how it feels to rotate. When you get comfortable with it, you should try minor jumps (but big enough to rotate 360 degrees, you will know whether it's big enough when you've got used to rotating) and then bigger and bigger as you get better.

Hope I helped!

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
If I need more power, I need more acceleration, which means I need more slope.

What place are you skiing at?

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
If I need more power, I need more acceleration, which means I need more slope.

What place are you skiing at?

No, you need more muscle and willpower.

Me? A lot of different places. In my backyard, southern sweden, norway, austria... a lot of places.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
No, you need more muscle and willpower.

Me? A lot of different places. In my backyard, southern sweden, norway, austria... a lot of places.

Bullshit.
You only need Musclepower if you are going to do messed up terrain. Else you can most likely just dash straight down, moving slightly to the left/right.

Where do you need willpower?
I have never needed to be mentally ready for skiing.
It's just a do or don't. And willpower won't get you any faster, IMO.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Bullshit.
You only need Musclepower if you are going to do messed up terrain. Else you can most likely just dash straight down, moving slightly to the left/right.

Where do you need willpower?
I have never needed to be mentally ready for skiing.
It's just a do or don't. And willpower won't get you any faster, IMO.

How would you do a 720/1080 without using your muscles? Just turning your upper body won't get you further than a 360, 540 if you're really lucky and going off a big kicker.

Try looking at this video to see what I mean with muscles. Look at how he does the 1080/1260.

And if you're about to say that 720 and 360 has nothing to do with eachother, think again. It's better to have the same technique for all your rotations than having one for each. It will also make you feel more comfortable.

You need to actually WANT to do the trick. With willpower I mean concentration, and more.
You don't always need speed.

But anyways, I guess it depends on personal opinions.
Btw - what skis do you guys ski on? I use these:
http://twintipworld.com/productpics/1995.jpg

EDIT: woops, forgot the vid.

Polak

I am cool.
Reaction score
Right now Im using all-terrain skis, which aren't too great for pipe and park skiing. I need to buy some twin tips skis but I dont know where I can get them for cheap. About the 360, On the ground I can do 180s and land switch and keep riding backwards then switch back to forward. I can do 180s on pretty much any jump, but when I do 360s, I just end up doing like a 270. Should I wind up before the jump and I heard that you should keep your eyes on the landing the whole time because your body will follow your head wherever its looking?

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Right now Im using all-terrain skis, which aren't too great for pipe and park skiing. I need to buy some twin tips skis but I dont know where I can get them for cheap. About the 360, On the ground I can do 180s and land switch and keep riding backwards then switch back to forward. I can do 180s on pretty much any jump, but when I do 360s, I just end up doing like a 270. Should I wind up before the jump and I heard that you should keep your eyes on the landing the whole time because your body will follow your head wherever its looking?

I think you need to focus more on having to do the actual 360 and don't stop rotating when you can spot the landing. That was my problem :)

You should get this: http://armadaskis.com/product/skis/alpha_2.php :)

Polak

I am cool.
Reaction score
Yea ill see what I can do about that. Those skis are way too expensive. My budget is like $300.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Yea ill see what I can do about that. Those skis are way too expensive. My budget is like $300.

Then you should wait. Rather pay some more money for quality skis than buying bullshit skis for no money.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I is did a 360 on skis in the air by accident, woot!
I was zooming down and uh people fell in front so I couldn't turn, so I was forced to take this ramp and I flew in the air and just spun and did a 360 and landed safely and slid down, lucky me. :) It was scary for meh but still fun.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
Haha same problem as you Polak :D

I was thinking about getting some twin tips but I'm not sure if you can ski outside the park properly with them as they arent carvers. Clear me up please :)

I've tried 360s but I never quite make it and usually I'm too scared to go off some larger kicker with more airtime.
Well, going skiing soon anyways so I'll give it another go then :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.