Sci/Tech How Caffeine Can Cramp Creativity

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Honoré de Balzac is said to have consumed the equivalent of fifty cups of coffee a day at his peak. He did not drink coffee, though—he pulverized coffee beans into a fine dust and ingested the dry powder on an empty stomach. He described the approach as “horrible, rather brutal,” to be tried only by men of “excessive vigor.” He documented the effects of the process in his 1839 essay “Traité des Excitants Modernes” (“Treatise on Modern Stimulants”): “Sparks shoot all the way up to the brain” while “ideas quick-march into motion like battalions of a grand army to its legendary fighting ground, and the battle rages.”

Balzac’s novels and plays endure, but modern science is challenging his view of caffeine causing ideas to “quick-march into motion.” While caffeine has numerous benefits, it appears that the drug may undermine creativity more than it stimulates it.

When we drink a caffeinated beverage, the caffeine quickly crosses the blood-brain barrier—an interface of sorts between the brain and the body’s circulatory system, designed to protect the central nervous system from chemicals in the blood that might harm it—and proceeds to block the activity of a substance called adenosine. Normally, a central function of adenosine is to inhibit the release of various chemicals into the brain, lowering energy levels and promoting sleep, among other regulatory bodily functions. When it’s blocked, we’re less likely to fall asleep on our desks or feel our focus drifting. According to a recent review of some hundred studies, caffeine has a number of distinct benefits. Chief among them are that it boosts energy and decreases fatigue; enhances physical, cognitive, and motor performance; and aids short-term memory, problem solving, decision making, and concentration.

But all of that comes at a cost. Science is only beginning to unravel the full complexity behind different forms of creative accomplishment; creativity is notoriously difficult to study in a laboratory setting, and the choice of one approach over another limits the way that creativity can be measured. Still, we do know that much of what we associate with creativity—whether writing a sonnet or a mathematical proof—has to do with the ability to link ideas, entities, and concepts in novel ways. This ability depends in part on the very thing that caffeine seeks to prevent: a wandering, unfocussed mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Haha, his name is 'Honor da Ballsack." I'm jealous.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Why narrow it down to caffein only? Alot of Artists use drugs as a source of creativity, which gives them the inspiration to create. What they basically say in this Article is, that caffein doesn't count as a source of inspiration, technically. I can't help but object. Some Artists create mindblowing pictures while on LSD or something that makes them lose sense of reality. This would mean, that all those people are lacking in creativity, because their ability to link ideas, entities and concepts are impaired.
I don't think that creativity should be described as a process, it's more of an idea thats connected to a value, not the value itself, because then you'd just measure the value and the value doesn't nessessarily have to be anything. I mean, some guy may just paint a canvas blue with a white line across it. Does it have any value? I don't think so. But the idea of it remains, whether its purpose is to invoke a certain feeling or set a message. Heck, even the idea of not having an idea is an idea.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Comparing caffeine to LSD is like comparing tomatoes to bananas. I mean, yeah, they're both fruit, but that's where the similarities end. LSD changes both the way you visually perceive the world and the way your mind perceives any other input. LSD literally changes how you think about things. Caffeine only does that in the sense that it can aid in focus and concentration, and if those are two things that prevent the mind from thinking in a more creative light, then it sounds like this study has some merit to it.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Lies! All Lies! There is nothing wrong with coffee!!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.