Infiltration

Status
Not open for further replies.
>...seperate patrol paths...
Like the path nodes? What I meant by those is making an array of points for each path, and ordering the units to follow (loosely, or exactly) the path in layed out by the nodes.

>One time they might be in the forest, then they will occasionally pack up the tents, and walk over to the mountains, and set up the base there. It would be pretty cool looking if we got it right.

You mean kind of like the Tauren Caravan in the Orc campaign? You tell the bandit leader or something to go somewhere, and the camp picks up and kodos carry the stuff there? Then the AI bandits will set up camp? That would be awsome. :D

>You mean kind of like the Tauren Caravan in the Orc campaign? You tell the bandit leader or something to go somewhere, and the camp picks up and kodos carry the stuff there? Then the AI bandits will set up camp? That would be awsome.

I've never gotten there, but that sounds just like it. :)

>Like the path nodes? What I meant by those is making an array of points for each path, and ordering the units to follow (loosely, or exactly) the path in layed out by the nodes.

Yeah, but I was thinking of using regions, like in a TD.

By the way, you're using an old version of my Infiltrator of that map. Maybe I didn't upload it correctly, but that's why it didn't work :p

It should work in this one.

Also, I'm now making plans for new heroes. I'll start putting them into action in a bit and put them on this map. Just letting you know :)

I don't think Darthfett cares about it. If you do, Darthfett, feel free to send me a PM and I'll start sending PMs around. As far as I'm concerned, there aren't nearly enough trigger systems in place for anyone to steal. They can steal my heroes if they like, they're open to everyone :p

Anyways, I fixed the Infiltrator again as the version of him on the map was the first rendition of him. He didn't even have the color or scaling correct either. So, I set them to the correct values and fixed the upgrade and stuff so he wouldn't get the weird semi-locust ability added to him.

Is he smaller than before though?

At the moment, he SHOULD be 1.15 scale size, which is the size of the cafeteria workers in the castle, if you compare the two.

no, in the version where darthfett combined the newest version with you heroes, the infiltrators disguise is still big and has a player colour. also the disguise still 'dies' when you discard it.

i also noticed something quite weird in the combined version, the doodads on the enterance bridge were all messed up

i also think the minimap is confusing, someone should change the minimap colouring for some of the house doodads or something to make it more clear to people playing. as it is now, all of the castle just looks like its one tile with some dirt towards the front. and what is happening to the terrain up the sides of the castle? it doesnt looklike a wide enough space to have anything substantial to the game.

another thing, is the front gate going to be the only way in? if it is i think this might make it easy for the guards, as at the beginning of the game they could just rush to the enterance and kill anything that walks in.

Mullit said:
no, in the version where darthfett combined the newest version with you heroes, the infiltrators disguise is still big and has a player colour. also the disguise still 'dies' when you discard it.

Yep. This would be because Darthfett has my older version of my Infiltrator with no set way to level his abilities up. He has some weird hybrid version.

I have already fixed the code and I have released the map in a past post that fixes this issue. I suppose the system might not have uploaded these fixes correctly on my last try, but this time the map is renamed and such, so the fixes should stay there.

Mullit said:
another thing, is the front gate going to be the only way in? if it is i think this might make it easy for the guards, as at the beginning of the game they could just rush to the enterance and kill anything that walks in.

Most of the heroes have various ways of getting in. Disguises, Windwalks, that sort of thing. Of course, if you have an investigator on your side, the early game is going to be pretty rough on the assassins.

I'm sure in the future different entrances will be made. There should only be one true bridge and gate across, but who says there can't be a bridge up the moat made out of a fallen tree? And who says that ivy along the walls can't be climbed upon?

Rinpun said:
I'm sure in the future different entrances will be made. There should only be one true bridge and gate across, but who says there can't be a bridge up the moat made out of a fallen tree? And who says that ivy along the walls can't be climbed upon?

Who says you can't transform yourself to a sheep and fly in?

Rabarber said:
Who says you can't transform yourself to a sheep and fly in?

I think the 'Eat Mor Chikin' Cow from Chick-fil-A said that. :p

I was planning on having at least one more gate on the left side, and maybe even another one on the right side, but it depends on how the balancing actually goes. If it's too hard for the assassins to get in, or the guards just camp the front gate, and the assassins don't know how to use the abilities, then we'll probably add a gate or two in. :)

Rabarber said:
And the king has to be made weaker, too :)

That will be done when we balance the map. We have no idea how strong they may be later, and who knows how far the guards will be from the king. We want to make it pretty dramatic, so the players can get there just in time, or not, if the assassins are good. This will probably be the hardest part of the balancing.

Mullit said:
i also noticed something quite weird in the combined version, the doodads on the enterance bridge were all messed up

That would be because I selected all the trees, copied them (I got a few of the bridge things, which I tried to deselect, but I guess I didn't get all of them), and transfered them from one map to another, in almost the same position. :eek:

For now, until we have some more people work on it, everyone has to agree that they don't mind having their stuff stolen. Until 2-P posts, we probably shouldn't attach it to the thread. :eek: (Rinpun, that means send it in a PM, ok? :) )

I fixed the bridge thing, and I replaced the Disguise Ability with Rinpun's new, fixed one. (It will be sent in a PM).

Okay. About the multiple gates.

I think there should the one main gate and at least two smaller gates. I'm assuming that the Assassins have more things to do in the city than track the king, like get money by stealing or whatever, so denying the Assassin team access to the city in the beginning would prove a major disadvantage. Later they can be closed off or not as accessible, to prevent the leveled Assassins from getting an easy way in.

An idea said:
All players start as underlings, the Assassins as common thieves, and the Guards as just soldiers.
Then as the game progresses, and they do more of what they are supposed to do (Guards catching AI criminals, stopping riots; Assassins taking thieving jobs, and later assassination jobs), then they are granted more control over their "domain".

The Guards will, instead of taking orders, be a captain of their own sect of guards; and be allowed more access into the city workings- like controlling gates, and upgrading defenses and orginizing the AI Guard forces...

The Assassins might be a higher ranking member of the orginization; be able to have some henchmen; have more influence on the Thief King (or whatever) - So instead of saying "Hey, let's move somewhere else, I think the Guards know where we are" you can actually pick the location. And I'm sure there will be other major options for the Assassins, that you can access by being higher up.

Darthfett, you can keep working on the map since I can't work on it in the next few days anyway. >.<

I am tired so I only read front page. If I still can, can i sign up for hero making?

I see no reason Darthfett would refuse you.

If that is what you want to do, I would say go ahead.

The heroes are obvious, Guards and Assassins. I think it is pretty easy to figure out :)

Thanks for wanting to help.

Alright, just an update on what I have been doing. I don't want to send you guys the map yet (even though up to this date everything I've added seems to work fine), but I thought I'd basically mention what I've added.

Three new units with unique things. Unfortunately, they seem a bit imba at the moment, but then again maybe it's because they're facing tightly clumped weakling level 1 Bandits. Anyways....

Castle Knight -- A tough swordsman who can either strike a weakspot and set his opponents bleeding (this is based off of shadowstrike, so green text repeatedly pops up rapidly to mention the damage...so I might need to change this one in particular), or disarm his opponent, stopping the opponent from doing any kind of melee or ranged attack for 2 seconds.

Castle Ranger -- A sharp-eyed ranger who does more damage based on elevation and range (yes this works, though the formula could easily need tweaking). To make matters even more interesting, the ranger has a custom critical strike based off of the new damage she does. She has a 10% chance to do 3 times whatever damage she earns from elevation and range by exploiting her target's weakspots.

Castle Wizard -- This guy is probably the most imba. A powerful wizard who would attack normally, except for the fact if he has enough mana (at least 100), he will cast a random elemental spell (of Fire, Water, Wind, or Earth)...and he starts with 500 mana, so he can cast 5 spells before having to attack normally. All the spells basically do the same things, but they all look different and sweet. I'd say the Earth or the Fire are probably the most powerful in some regard. The Fire spell sends a blast of fire forth that damages units in the vicinity. The Water spell targets one unit and starts suffocating the target's lungs with fluid, rapidly damaging just that one target and disabling use of castable spells (so that the assassins will not like this particular one). The Wind spell is simply forked lightning that targets 1-2 other units besides the main target and blasts them with a quick wave of lightning. The Earth spell, last of all, and probably the most powerful, sends a wave of up to three (it depends on how far away the target is from the wizard) cascades of earth, damaging all in the vicinity.

Castle Cavalier -- The strongest of the four without regarding his abilities. And that is because, of course, he's mounted and thus should have higher hp and attack. Now being mounted, he has one ability...Trample. If he's ordered anywhere and moves anywhere, all nearby enemy (I can easily make it so that it hits all units, but it seemed a bit rude for all of those units) take light and rapid damage.

Anyway, if you plan to merge these units into the map, do so with CAUTION. The wizard requires his own dummy unit and four spell abilities, while the other three mostly use triggers (though I do believe the knight uses another dummy unit) to gain their specific effects. Also, once in the trigger editor, click on the map filename at the top...I've added a person's trigger (forgot his name) to KaTTana's triggers. It allows us to mimic specific damage colors, such as critical strike. It is, for now, only used for the Ranger's custom critical strike.

For the castle knight, you should make the disarm also reduce the armor of the enemy while stunned as so.

Also, the theive should have some hideouts inside the castle, which could be where they start out. These would probably work similarly to the ones outside the castle, providing a "safe" haven, buying stolen goods, and selling goods useful to theives. These would also move around a bit, though would be less safe than the ones outside the walls, because the guards are more likely to find it.

You should also add more than just wilderness outside of the walls, like farms, small villages, or even a port. These could be a good starting ground for the theives, with much less guard protection.

They aren't stunned. They just can't attack (they can move and cast abilities). That's a good idea though, I can try reducing their armor on the side.

Anyway, I now have to brainstorm two extra assassins. Anyone have any unique ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I would like to see it again like Ghan had it the first time with pagination though - without the pagination that view will not work but with pagination it just might...
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This drink recipe I have had more than a few times back in the day! Mind Eraser https://www.thehelper.net/threads/cocktail-mind-eraser.194720/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.