Infiltration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Ah, good idea. Just for the hey of it, I'll make it look like a normal peasant then :p

Anyways, to corvus, I tried to PM you but it wouldn't let me, I assume you have too many PMs or something.

corvusHaunt said:
I saw your spells use Kattana's system. I have been curious about this for awhile.

Just wondering what the advantages of using this system are?

A lot of my spells use KaTTana's system.

The main advantages are these:

1) Very small system. A lot of other triggering systems I looked into when I desperately needed them were huge pages of triggers that weren't formatted correctly, meaning I'd have to format them inside the trigger editor, which I'd do eventually, but it was still no fun :p

2) Very good at what it does simply. The whole point of KaTTana's system is to allow you to associate local variables with local game caches under various titles. This allows you to do magic tricks such as keeping a constant local timer going while still keeping all the data of the trigger handy. The problem with JASS and waited for loops is the waiting just isn't smooth. You can't do smooth movement when your character has to wait .30 seconds before doing something, so for loops with waits are out of the question for movement. KaTTana's system allows me to make a constant timer of anything from moving a chain back and forth to sending a unit dashing forward or backward or whatever.

Pretty much every good ability-maker uses KaTTana's system and/or uses their own system to boot. I know emjlr3 uses KaTTana's system for all of his abilities, though I hear he has a spell system of sorts he made.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Why've you made an alt account? Were you banned for 2 days or just banned for spamming for 2 days?

Anyways, haven't seen the project in a while, anyone know how it's goin so far? I think I could get involved more :p.

~Jindo

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
MeRcChRiS2 said:
he cant get pms because me and him were banned for 2 days of spamming....

Ah, well that particularly serves you right. That spamming was down right annoying bs. Hopefully you'll learn and not spam next time.

IMPORTANT EDIT

Alright, I have changed the peasant to be smaller and have a black color. However, in the process, I have noticed a flaw in my algorithm (that cannot be changed as it is as good as it gets using set unit ability and whatnot). If you get disguise without silent incapacitation, use it, then get silent incapacitation afterward and use it again, for one time only you will spawn, for some odd reason, a disguise with a locust ability of some sort that you cannot select and control. Fortunately, the time runs out and the Infiltrator (and the disguise) are back to normal.

To fix this bothersome problem, I have (perhaps temporarily) gone to using an upgrade system instead. Learning Silent Incapacitation on the hero will increase the level of an upgrade which directly controls the level of Silent Incapacitation for all disguises for that player. Unfortunately, this makes it so that the player can only have one infiltrator, and that it gets screwed up if you use a tome of retraining. Other than that, it works perfectly fine, and better than before otherwise as the error is nonexistant. Not to mention it looks a bit more smooth that a non-leveled Silent Incapacitation on the hero shows a disabled ability that says "Requires: Silent Incapacitation" on the disguise. But, I digress, here is a map with a better disguise for the Infiltrator.

IMPORTANT EDIT #2

Fixed it so the disguise no longer actually "dies", it just disappears, and the fog that generates it appears and the infiltrator reappears. Now I think the disguise skill has been effectively finalized :)

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Wow! Nice job on the new heroes. :)

I think the Investigating Eye description is wrong, since it doesn't make him see further, only see invisible units.

Driving slash is my favorite ability, since it launches them backwards, and he does a cool spinning action.

Alarm works pretty well, but I think it should only play the sound once or twice, since it's kind of annoying. :p

Kick Dust also seems a little overpowered, with it being an autocastable, and giving a 60% chance to miss for 14 seconds at the last level, and only a 4 second cooldown.

Also, I tried out disguise, and the very first time it made him unclickable, and he never turned back into the infiltrator. (I waited a while for it just to make sure).

Again, great job on the new heroes! :D

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you have the most recent version of the triggers? I don't think the peasant should ever pop up unclickable. There was one stupid error relating to setting the level of abilities, but I don't do that anymore, so I don't see what could be wrong.

Glad that you like them otherwise :)

And yes, some things may be too overpowered, but that's what beta testing is for. Let's get the main game triggers down and basic heroes up, and then we can see who is too imba and who is useless.

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
Has anyone else been doing anything? Just wondering, because this doesn't seem to going anywhere, at least with the map version I have...

Well anyways, I have some good news and some bad news.

The Good News:
I edited and finished the Infiltrator's icons and skin. I also made the first copy of the Investigator's set. And I made the control template for both the Assassin team and Guard team. It was all looking very sexy for my hard work until
The Bad News:
I can't open any of the files on my D partition. It keeps telling me they are all corrupted. This is where I keep all my important things, so yeah.

Darthfett, I would gladly do anything to keep this going, so give me anything to do. All I ask is that I can take a break from the Art dept. for awhile. I can do triggers, and heroes, anything pretty much within the editor except terrain.

Add: And if you don't mind, and if there is one, can you send me the newest version of the map?

Darthfett

Reaction score
Augh! :( Sorry you lost the work... but we can always remake things. :eek:

If you want to take a break from the art, you can do anything you like. We are in a need of heroes, since we only have 4, and we also need the bases set up, and the random events.

>And if you don't mind, and if there is one, can you send me the newest version of the map?

If you already have Rinpun's Version, and the one I sent you, then you have the updated version. :)

2-P, have you done any terraining yet, or should I just go ahead and merge the heroes and newest map (with the terraining) together?

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
Erm. About that terrain. What is done is pretty good, but at the barracks place and what not, everything is perfectly symmetrical and neat. Don't you think a bunch of rowdy guards would mess it up a bit?

And 2-P are you still working on this? It's a little empty...
Maybe you are waiting till the last second, and then will come out with a fabulous set of terrain? :eek:

And Darthfett, what do you mean by "random events"?

Add: And the jails... they are so darn close to both the Throne room, and the guard training areas. How are the assassins supposed to get in there to rescue their team? (I'm assuming that what I am seeing are jails, that the assassins can be arrested, and that teamates can rescue them)

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Darthfett said:
2-P, have you done any terraining yet, or should I just go ahead and merge the heroes and newest map (with the terraining) together?
Eh... :eek: Go ahead and merge them, I've only fixed that water bug and I played a bit around with it ^_^ (Where I'm going to put the rivers/mountains. If you have something specific in your mind than let me know). So I didn't really make anything. :p

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
If that Infiltrator disguise bug is still being crappy, let me know and give me the merged map and I'll try to fix it :)

Darthfett

Reaction score
>>Don't you think a bunch of rowdy guards would mess it up a bit?

>>And the jails... they are so darn close to both the Throne room, and the guard training areas.

That part at the top is probably only temporary. We have a ton of room for the castle, so we can extend things a bit and change them. Basically, do whatever you want to the top (Although the throne room is pretty much done).

This was originally just a terraining project for me, and then I came up with a game idea (Seperately) and then decided to merge the two together.

>>And Darthfett, what do you mean by "random events"?

The random events are the things that just occur during the game. For example, there might be a holiday where the king strolls around, or where the prisoners get to walk around (they cannot escape, but can be rescued even easier).

The gates might open sometimes (for a reason I haven't yet thought of :p), and there might be less/more guards off duty.

Sometimes there might be a duel in the arena between a monster (behind the gates), and one of the players, to make entertainment for the king. Just come up with whatever ideas you can think of. :)

Also, if you think you can do it, we will need a system that will have guards patrol.

>>(I'm assuming that what I am seeing are jails, that the assassins can be arrested, and that teamates can rescue them)

Yep. That will be another thing we need to add into the map. (You can add this, if you like).

If you do add this, here's a few things:
-Only the Assassins that die or get hurt very badly inside the castle go to the jails.
-The Assassins that die outside have to ressurect at the base camp. (The camp will move every day.

Also, I am going to merge the heroes into the terrained map, and resend it to you guys now.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Well....

Here are a few other ideas, don't know if they're worth adding in or not.

Make the gates opening and closing have to do with the time of day. During the morning, everything should be open. At night, a lot of the gates should be closed. To help the Assassins, some of them (or most of them >_>) should have the shadowmeld or whatever ability that they can only use at night. Of course, the Investigator would seriously fug them up, especially with his revealing flare, but all the other heroes wouldn't be able to find them very easily.

Darthfett

Reaction score
Alright, I have finished combining the maps. Although there is a problem... we're out of tilesets! :eek:

There isn't enough room for the leaves tileset. :(

Anyone have any ideas on how to get more tilesets?

A hero ability idea: The hookshot, like Link's item in Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
Did you send the map? Because I didn't get it :(

>The camp will move everyday
Say wha?

>Also, if you think you can do it, we will need a system that will have guards patrol.

Hmm. I have been thinking about this. There are a few ways I think this can be done.

1. A guard pathing system. It will devolop patterns of patrol based on terrain (bricks, grass) Probably the least effective
2. A random patrol system. Will not use patterns, just random patrol that goes everywhere. Probably buggy, and will make the guards look like they have ADD.
3. A path node system. Pre-defined or interchangeable patterns of patrol based on "nodes" placed in the editor.

Tell me what you would like me to do, or another suggestion.

Darthfett

Reaction score
I was thinking maybe seperate patrol paths, like one that goes around the walls of the castle, maybe one that goes around the throne room, one that goes through the city, and guards are set on each patrol path.

>>The camp will move everyday
Say wha?

The camp will be made of tents, and other units that are easily packed up and moved.

One time they might be in the forest, then they will occasionally pack up the tents, and walk over to the mountains, and set up the base there. It would be pretty cool looking if we got it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.