Make units move regardless of allied units around them

Derek0

Reaction score
Hello, this may be a very simple question that I just never needed to find the answer so I don't know it, but here goes.

I'm making a castle siege map, where 4 players defend a castle against masses of units attacking. The goal is basically to survive for 30 minutes. You lose if the last 4 keeps (buildings, one for each player) are destroyed. Simple and to the point.

Two invader unit is spawned every 2.5 seconds. They move with fast speed and have less-than-average health. This is fine for the beginning, but as you get pushed back, they start to act odd. When there's a lot of them on the map (NOT just in one spot), they will move, stop, move, stop, etc. When there's a huge amount on the map, they hardly move at all. I think I've seen this before, but I don't know how to fix it. What can I do to make them just run regardless of the amount of units around them? Is there a way?

Here's my trigger code:
Code:
Create
    Events
        Time - Every 2.50 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit - Create 1 Fel Orc Raider for Player 9 (Gray) at (Center of SpawnL <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Attack-Move To (Center of ContinueL <gen>)
        Unit - Create 1 Fel Orc Raider for Player 9 (Gray) at (Center of SpawnR <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Attack-Move To (Center of ContinueR <gen>)

Will changing their movement speed or collision size work?

Derek0

Reaction score
Ok, I'm trying that now.
When you say it will "help" I take it that means it won't completely fix it, so what else can I do to fix and/or "help" it.

Derek0

Reaction score
Yeah I set it to 0 and it is worse, now let me try 1 :p
EDIT: What about 0.01?

Master

Thou shall be helped by...The Black Adder!
Reaction score
many values set to 0 are worse, like 0 Stun Duration, which lasts forever, or 0 Missile art, that is instant.

~For your preference and future help ;)

Derek0

Reaction score
Thanks Master, I'll be sure to remember that :)
I tried 0.01 as well, it doesn't seem to help either :(
EDIT: and neither does 1...

Derek0

Reaction score
What about not having "huge amounts" in one spot?

Well it's supposed to be a massive battle. They're normally fine, but they will build up gradually while fighting, thus causing a mass. When one mass starts to slow itself down, everything behind it will catch up to it, and join the mass, thus slowing further.

Or give them the ability "Ghost (Visible)".
What does that ability do?

Derek0

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't think I described my problem right. It's not just when there's a lot in one spot that they stop, go, stop, go, etc., it's more when there's a lot on the map. Apparently, they're fine normally, but once there are a lot already spawned onto the map, they seem to do that.

I was just testing the Ghost (Visible) ability on them, when I took a closer look, and saw that once there were a lot distributed through the castle, one person all by himself has the same problem. He would stop, go, stop, go, and you get the idea. It's very odd. In fact, no matter what kind of group they're in, if they're by themselves, in a pair, 3 of them, 30 of them, they will all do that once there are a bunch of them on the map.

EDIT: And another thing, they seem to be fine when they spawn and get their attack-move order, and they move just fine, but then when they get to the first mass, they stop, and then they're like what I described before, stop, go, stop, go, and so on, even once they get alone again, as long as they reach the first mass...

EDIT 2: I remember now, I've seen it before in mauls, because in a maul you will notice that the units will move, stop, move, stop, and so on. At least, when the wave starts, and at least in the mauls I've played.

Curuinor

Reaction score
Put on a combat detector(go look at any of Blizzard's maps for one; they seem to have them everywhere, for not good reason), and massively slow down unit spawn if combat is detected.

Also, try spawning big masses of units at once, or spawn them one-at-a-time and have them aggregate, and then, when a certain count is reached, they go attack. Maybe just make big masses and set a suicide script, if you don't have any custom spells(look in the 4th map for TFT campaign if you don't know what a suicide script is)

Derek0

Reaction score
But wouldn't that mean that once the fighting starts the units will spawn slower, thus making the battle tiny?

That may fix this problem but it ruins the experience of the map.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Maybe I should just make less units that have more power (attack, armor, hitpoints, etc.) It wouldn't be as massive but it will help to fix the problem...

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
You mean by the "lag" that they appear to stutter when moving?

There are too many units on the map for the orders. Reduce the amount of units.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.