Tutorial Making Teleports

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Introduction

"Teleports" can be used to make units instantly travel from one location to another. Teleports are often used in RPG games to move the player to somewhere new, or to go backwards.

The Triggers

There are a few different types of teleports that can be made I will go through a couple of them.

Style 1 - Simple Instant Teleport
This is very simple to make it only needs one trigger.
First make a region where you want the teleport to be. Then use the very simple following trigger:

Code:
Enter Teleport
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters To Town <gen>
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Player 1 (Red) start location)

Change the "(Player 1 (Red) start location)" to wherever you want to teleport to.
You could also make the camera move to the new location by adding this:
Code:
Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) to (Player 1(Red) start location) over 1.00 seconds

Style 2 - A teleport that let's through certain units.
This will allow certain units through but for others it will do nothing.
This also only needs one region (the teleport) and one trigger.
Here is what the trigger is:

Code:
Enter Teleport
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Wisp
            Then - Actions
                Do nothing
            Else - Actions
                Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) to (Player 1 (Red) start location) over 1.00 seconds
This will allow all units through the teleport apart from wisps, where it will do nothing. If you want the teleport to allow only one unit you can switch round the "Then" and "Else" actions, this will mean that if it is a wisp it will move it instantly to your location and if it is anything else it will do nothing.

Extra

You could add text to the region to tell you where you want to go with this other trigger:
Code:
To Town
    Events
        Time - Elapsed game time is 1.00 seconds
    Conditions
    Actions
        Floating Text - Create floating text that reads To Town  at (Center of To Town <gen>) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 12.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
        Floating Text - Show (Last created floating text) for (All players)

You can also add effects to the teleport. Adding effects will make your teleport look much better than the unit just disappearing and reappearing onto your different locations. Heres a trigger to make an effect for when you walk onto the teleport area:

Code:
Enter Teleport
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Center of To Town <gen>) using Abilities\Spells\Items\TomeOfRetraining\TomeOfRetrainingCaster.mdl[/CODE]

You may want a teleport that will place you in a random position on the map, the trigger for theat is very simple:
Enter Teleport
Code:
Events
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to (Random point in (Playable map area))

Thanks for reading my first Tutorial, please comment on this, I can handle it :D

Anachron

Reaction score
Easy to understand: yes
Helpful: For noobies, of course! :p

I would say this theme isn't a good point to make a tutorial about, but anyway, you need reputation +rep for your try :p

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, it was based on people who were not very good on WE. :)

Anachron

Reaction score
I see, then its an excellent choice!

But eh, if they are not very good in making maps, you should remove the RPG example then, because RPG are really hard to make and alot of work :p

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see, then its an excellent choice!

But eh, if they are not very good in making maps, you should remove the RPG example then, because RPG are really hard to make and alot of work :p

You're right, I just noted that because it was the RPG I am working on that I used these triggers with :D

X.Terror.X

Reaction score
Code:
Floating Text - Show (Last created floating text) for (All players)

the floating text can be seen by everyone already when u create a floating text and if u are bussy with makign a tutrial u also can say the trigger to teleport from the one region to the other that one ism ostly used

Code:
 Teleporter
    Events
           A unit enters a region
    Conditions
         ---  
    Actions
           Unit - Move Unit instanlty to Region ...

or to make it more advanced

Code:
 Actions
        Unit - Move (Triggering unit) instantly to ((Position of (Triggering unit))    offset by (200.00, 0.00))
in this case u will be teleported in the X thats to left and to the right more then 0 u go to the right and less then 0 u go to the left same with Y only then u go 0+ up and -0 u go to down ( not in the air for that u need animation animation hight and to do that the first numbers are to witch hight and the other wit hwhat speed)
but the moveu nit isntanlty with 200 on the X means that uwill be telelported 200 range to the right

i know 1000 of those things i can name them but then i going ot make my ow ntopic of it

if i will do it i also make lsiding trigger that things its also with move unit instanlltiy i odnt know mabye i going to make a tutrial about :rolleyes:

Anachron

Reaction score
You simply don't need to know that because you also can move the rect a bit to the side you want lol. Whatever, unessesarry. ;)

X.Terror.X

Reaction score
yep and his is only for excample anyway moveing region is harder for newer guys with editor u need to work with Y and X i worked with it when i used editor for a year :banghead:

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
Easy to understand: yes
Helpful: For noobies, of course! :p

I would say this theme isn't a good point to make a tutorial about, but anyway, you need reputation +rep for your try :p

time for me to start making lots of newbie tutorials:

looking forward to be +rep'd by you :D

Anachron

Reaction score
Well, I have to spread reputation to others first to give you reputation then :D also yeah, if you want, I may give you reputation for them too :p but not much you know?! ;)

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's comments.

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
@dhk_undead_l
*lol*

(geting back to seriousness)

@UndeadDragon
you now have a one-way teleport which is a fine, simple thing.

but, since people reading this tutorial want to learn a bit, you should go a few steps further:

a) include the effects for teleporting; you know, eyecandy counts :D

b) create two-way portals:
this is already getting a bit more tricky, as we definitely want to avoid units getting teleported from one portal to the other and back again in endless cycles.

c) create multi-way portals:
that's where things start to get complicated, and where you can prove your sense for logic and creativity

keep in mind that a tutorial is meant to teach sth new to the average member with the average knowledge around here. The more can be learnt, the better the tutorial, I'd say. ;)

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
When I heard "Teleports", I expected some eye-candy. :( Maybe you should put in some special effects to make it look nicer. :D Also, all of your movement triggers leak. You should fix that. And, as Doomhammer said, you could go more in-depth since the tutorial is pretty short as it is.

X.Terror.X

Reaction score
lol yeah i alredy said some things for excample for teleporters and it was almost the same big and that wasnt a tutrial though

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
You might wanna mention 1 big problem. Lets say you have teleporters to and fro each other. If you say, unit enters region 1, move to region 2. Unit enters region 2, move to region 1. They will just keep teleporting back n forth to the point where it crashes (cept you won't notice, it will crash a couple of secs once you walk onto a teleporter ^_-)

X.Terror.X

Reaction score
nice idia but i think u missed reading this

b) create two-way portals:
this is already getting a bit more tricky, as we definitely want to avoid units getting teleported from one portal to the other and back again in endless cycles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.