Modifying Chat Messages

jhnam95

Reaction score
How do I modify chat messages of a player?
For example, if player 1 typed "Hi, I'm red." then it might show as something else, such as "Hi, I'm blue."
It really doesn't have to be so flexible. All I want to do is restrict a player from talking (Players when dead. Dead men don't talk), so they can pretty much type anything and get like "..." or a big blank.

I actually used Cilla's method to hide my messages, but using the locust ability to hide the big blank box above units makes my units impossible to target. Not using it leaves a big blank box. Also, I would prefer to use names than not.

I don't mind if a bunch of player names come up as long as the actual message doesn't.

I've seen this done in multiple games so I know it can be done. Any ideas how?

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that such a system may require that you completely code all chat messages because the solution involves not allowing "normal" chat messages to be sent at all.

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
yup, it requires changing the modifying the UI to hide player messages and displaying them with game text

jhnam95

Reaction score
I already pointed out I wanted to modify chat messages rather than change everyone's name to " "

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> I already pointed out I wanted to modify chat messages rather than change everyone's name to " "

What?

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
read it more carefully.

theres 2 options, one setting the player name to a bunch of spaces or modifying the UI, which it teaches you how to do

jhnam95

Reaction score
Yea but that one still shows up in the chat log.
I already did Cilla's method, but I'm kind of looking for a better one (knowing that there already is but not knowing how to do it). I mean, I can't have everyone's units have a big blank box above them... I can't use locust either because then I can't target them with spells D:

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I already did Cilla's method, but I'm kind of looking for a better one (knowing that there already is but not knowing how to do it). I mean, I can't have everyone's units have a big blank box above them... I can't use locust either because then I can't target them with spells D:

Read the tutorial more closely...

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
part 1, it talks all about removing the chat messages from showing up.

after its removed, you display what they just wrote with a

Game - Display message to (All Players)

and thats where you can modify the text, it is IMPOSSIBLE to directly modify what players are saying.

jhnam95

Reaction score
I don't mean game text, I'm talking about the chat that the players type.
And it is possible. I've seen it done in multiple games.

Chaos_Knight

Reaction score
I don't mean game text, I'm talking about the chat that the players type.
And it is possible. I've seen it done in multiple games.

I tell you the answer.
They use a HostBot.
If you like type "I hate red" it instead says "Love You".
So.
It's a bot.
Not triggers. :thup:

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can't display text like that...

Do a parasite and SotDRP type thing.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score

of course you can target units with spells if you use locust. you can just not select them.

jhnam95

Reaction score
Oh. It only works with bots? D:
Okay, well, i suppose that answers my question... kind of... ):
But i've seen it done to specific players for specific reasons. Ex: player died, etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.