Multi-Upgrade problem

Gabeee

Reaction score
Multi-Upgrade problem help pls

Hey!

I'm new a bit to WE, but read and tried a lot of thing out, and I decided to make my own map. I have an awesome idea I think, but of course I'm not able to make it.

The problem I have is the following: Have you ever played Age of Empires? Now I'm trying to make a similiar upgrade system, like Archer -> Sharpshoter -> Sniper. It's okay, I studied the Troll Berserker upgrade, and I know how to make it, but I still have several problems:
1.: The Barracks shows the icon of the higher rank soliders even when the upgrade is not yet made, and you can make train them! (I made Dependency Equivalents like in the original upgrade, and I'm like 100% sure that the upgrade is right)
2.: Even if I make Requirements, the unit is still showed.

And I have a question: I can make upgrades the 'same' with the attack and armor upgrades, but if I want to make any upgrades that can't be made with levels and increament (like unit availability), how is it possible to make it (without triggers if possible)? Example: Upgrade to Sharpshoter = Upgrade to Sniper (take the same place, Sniper is only available after the Sharpshoter, Sniper doesn't showed until the previous is completed)

Could you help me please?
Thanks

canons200

Reaction score
pardon, i never play Ago of empires, so i not really understand the upgarde system

for your second question, just add the upgrade used for the unit you desired, so when you researched the upgrade, all the unit that use the upgrade will auto gain the upgrade.

KJP

Reaction score
Do you want the same model for all 3 levels? If so i would suggest you use the same method as the shaman/priest/sorceress and a few other units.

This is one multi level upgrade, but in the caster text box (underneath the model name) in the units pane of the world editor there various ranks are listed in order.

There is also a field called "Art-caster upgrade art" which you can use set to give an icon with a small box on the right which will house the level numbers. Last thing to do is to set the upgrade to caster to get the icon to show in the with the armour and damage icons. This will give just the one unit button, but will only have the default name. The level will come with the upgrade.

Hope that helps a little

Gabeee

Reaction score
Thanks, but I want different models for the three levels, but the caster upgrade thing is a great idea, thanks! I think its not possible without triggers, so can anyone help me with that trigger?

KJP

Reaction score
I think there may be two possible ways of doing this, but im not sure which would be the easiest method.

Method 1
Trigger:
  • Train unit
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes training a unit
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Trained unit)) Equal to Archer
      • (Triggering player) Equal to Player 1 (Red)
    • Actions
      • If ((Current research level of Upgrade for Player 1 (Red)) Equal to 1) then do (Unit - Replace (Trained unit) with a Footman using The old unit's relative life and mana) else do (-------- --------)
      • If ((Current research level of Upgrade for Player 1 (Red)) Equal to 2) then do (Unit - Replace (Trained unit) with a Mortar Team using The old unit's relative life and mana) else do (-------- --------)
      • Unit - Order (Last replaced unit) to Move To (Rally-Point of (Triggering unit) as a point)
and
Trigger:
  • Finish research
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes research
    • Conditions
      • (Researched tech-type) Equal to Upgrade
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by (Triggering player) of type Archer) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If ((Current research level of Upgrade for Player 1 (Red)) Equal to 1) then do (Unit - Replace (Picked unit) with a Footman using The old unit's relative life and mana) else do (-------- --------)
          • If ((Current research level of Upgrade for Player 1 (Red)) Equal to 2) then do (Unit - Replace (Picked unit) with a Mortar Team using The old unit's relative life and mana) else do (-------- --------)
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by (Triggering player) of type Footman) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If ((Current research level of Upgrade for Player 1 (Red)) Equal to 2) then do (Unit - Replace (Picked unit) with a Mortar Team using The old unit's relative life and mana) else do (-------- --------)

2nd trigger may leak though. not sure.

The 2nd method would be to make 3 metamorphosis abilities and for simplicity i'll name em here as 1to2, 1to3 and 2to3. 1to2 and 1to3 should be given to the base unit(differing spell bases) and 2to3 to the first upgrade unit.

1to2 changes your unit from archer to sharpshooter
1to3 archer to sniper and 2to3 archer to sharpshooter.. These abilities should i think have zero durationa nd mana and preferably put in a hidden spell book(will probably need 2 versions. one give to the base unit and the other to the 2nd level unit)

Triggers will be similar to the ones above i guess but instead of using replace unit you order the unit to cast the proper morph spell.

Hope this helps a little

Gabeee

Reaction score
Wow, thats a great idea, the only problem is, that I want a different icon and description for the three levels, and it is not possible with this as I see, but thanks anyway. I thought, that there is a trigger that can add and remove upgrades and units from the barracks, is there one?

KJP

Reaction score
think i've found what your looking for and is so much simplar than the above method.

All you need to do is add these to lines to the map initialization trigger
Trigger:
  • Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player - Make Rifleman Unavailable for training/construction by Player 1 (Red)
      • Player - Make Knight Unavailable for training/construction by Player 1 (Red)

where the rifle map and knight are your upgrades respectivaly

then use something similar to
Trigger:
  • upgrade
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Finishes research
    • Conditions
      • (Researched tech-type) Equal to Long Rifles
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Current research level of Long Rifles for Player 1 (Red)) Equal to 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Player - Make Footman Unavailable for training/construction by Player 1 (Red)
          • Player - Make Rifleman Available for training/construction by Player 1 (Red)
        • Else - Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Current research level of Long Rifles for Player 1 (Red)) Equal to 2
        • Then - Actions
          • Player - Make Rifleman Unavailable for training/construction by Player 1 (Red)
          • Player - Make Knight Available for training/construction by Player 1 (Red)
        • Else - Actions

where the footman is your starter model, rifle man the lvl 2 model and knight is your maxed upgrade model. All you would need to do then is set the icon position so they share the same space on the menu

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.