Need of help with spawn triggering

JHouse3532

Reaction score
Being the mediocre "triggerer" I don't have the knowledge of how to create a game that has wave spawning. In order for me to really explain what im going for im going to need to explain the game im working on:

The game consists of two armies fighting each other via the use of todays warfare, but also i want to have it so that while the fighting is going on another team, the Zombies, will be firing increasing amounts of zombies in waves.

What i wanted was so that every time a wave of zombies is defeated a timer starts and then when it ends a new wave forms that has more and or stronger
units in it.

I have a hypothesis in which i make it spawn a creature for the zombie team in a certain region, but doing that would require me to remake this trigger for each of the different zombies, taking me an enormous amount of time plus that wouldn't take care of me wave problem or the upgrade of enemies.

I realize that much of this is a little bit to be asking so I'm figuring that i, on the first try, don't make it so that they grow stronger, but still then I'm quite confused how to do this without a huge uncoordinated trigger.

So if anyone could help me it'd be much appreciated.

SGT Vejito

Reaction score
The easiest way to control waves based off of triggers is to use a countdown timer. Create a timer that is, say 1 minute long. When it expires you spawn a new wave of zombies. Controlling what is in them and their upgrades can all be done through triggers (whether you want upgrades to = new units or actual damage / armour upgrades, both can be done with relative ease)

The best way to make sure the waves spawn in order is to have an integer set for the level (difficulty) of the zombie waves. When your countdown timer expires, you can set a variable to a new number, which in turn can effect which wave spawns.

Here's a link to a good countdown timer tutorial, http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=53421

as for the zombie spawning I'd do something like this:

Trigger:
  • Wave 2 Spawn
    • Events
      • Time - WaveTimer expires
    • Conditions
      • LevelCounter Equal to 1
    • Actions
      • Set LevelCounter = (LevelCounter + 1)
      • Unit - Create 1 Footman for Player 1 (Red) at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees

Your first wave just spawns the first group of zombies (you can use an elapsed time event to start it) and sets your Integer variable to 1. From there each time the countdown timer expires it will automatically spawn the next zombie wave.

JHouse3532

Reaction score
Wait thats for one unit and of course i know i could add on to that but is there a way for me to put in a group or some other way to spawn a multitude of units with the one trigger?

SGT Vejito

Reaction score
Careful about double posting, it's not allowed in these forums unless it's a day apart.

You can specify the number of units you want to spawn in a trigger, as well as how many different spawns you want:

example:

Trigger:
  • Wave 3 First Group
    • Events
      • Player - Player 12 (Brown)'s Current gold becomes Equal to 3.00
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Leaderboard - Change the title of (Last created leaderboard) to Straetum Defense - ...
      • Unit - Create 5 Tauren Labourer (Heavy) 2 for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Red Spawn <gen>) facing 90.00 degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Tauren Overseer (Heavy) 2 for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Red Spawn <gen>) facing 90.00 degrees
      • Unit - Create 5 Tauren Labourer (Heavy) 2 for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Blue Spawn <gen>) facing 270.00 degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Tauren Overseer (Heavy) 2 for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Blue Spawn <gen>) facing 270.00 degrees
      • Unit - Create 5 Tauren Labourer (Heavy) 2 for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Teal Spawn <gen>) facing 270.00 degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Tauren Overseer (Heavy) 2 for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Teal Spawn <gen>) facing 270.00 degrees
      • Unit - Create 5 Tauren Labourer (Heavy) 2 for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Purple Spawn <gen>) facing 90.00 degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Tauren Overseer (Heavy) 2 for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Purple Spawn <gen>) facing 90.00 degrees
      • Unit - Create 5 Tauren Labourer (Heavy) 2 for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Yellow Spawn <gen>) facing 90.00 degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Tauren Overseer (Heavy) 2 for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Yellow Spawn <gen>) facing 90.00 degrees
      • Unit - Create 5 Tauren Labourer (Heavy) 2 for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Orange Spawn <gen>) facing 270.00 degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Tauren Overseer (Heavy) 2 for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Orange Spawn <gen>) facing 270.00 degrees
      • Wait 2.00 game-time seconds
      • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)

That's a trigger out of my TD for the 3rd wave, I use gold as the variable in this case ( 'cause if someone uses a gold cheat it breaks the game :) ) but it's relatively the same, you can create any number of unit - create actions, and specify how many units of the particular type

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.