Sci/Tech Robotic hand nearly identical to a human one (w/ Video)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to finding the single best tool for building, digging, grasping, drawing, writing, and many other tasks, nothing beats the human hand. Human hands have evolved over millions of years into four fingers and a thumb that can precisely manipulate a wide variety of objects. In a recent study, researchers have attempted to recreate the human hand by building a biomimetic robotic hand that they have optimized to achieve near-human appearance and performance.

The researchers, Nicholas Thayer and Shashank Priya from Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia, have published their study on the robotic hand in a recent issue of Smart Materials and Structures.

The researchers call the hand a dexterous anthropomorphic robotic typing hand, or DART hand, as the main objective was to demonstrate that the hand could type on a computer keyboard. They showed that a single DART hand could type at a rate of 20 words per minute, compared to the average human typing speed of 33 words per minute with two hands. The researchers predict that two DART hands could type at least 30 words per minute. Ultimately, the DART hand could be integrated into a humanoid robot for assisting the elderly or disabled people, performing tasks such as typing, reaching objects, and opening doors.

Last edited:

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
The theme of Star Wars began to play in my head. Cool

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Are you serious? That's terrible.

Couldn't agree more. Impressive for the single-handed robot. Sad for humanity.

Now, you do average speeds for computer science majors ... surely it would be somewhere in the 120-150 WPM range :p

Carnerox

The one and only.
Reaction score
Pretty cool! Pictures look worse when 'enlarged', though.

[quoute]compared to the average human typing speed of 33 words per minute with two hands[/quoute]

Are you serious? That's terrible.

Terrible now, but it could end up being 33 words per second. ;)

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
And soon there will be a robotic hand that consists of 10 fingers and 5 thumbs

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
It's not that slow, it's words, not letters. I mean if you take different words, spacing, getting everything correct, and typing at a relaxed pace into account, basically it's one word per two seconds, which isn't that bad, if you think about what you're typing.

o_O

Yah, Vader.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
It's not that slow, it's words, not letters. I mean if you take different words, spacing, getting everything correct, and typing at a relaxed pace into account, basically it's one word per two seconds, which isn't that bad, if you think about what you're typing.

wpm is measured using 5 characters to a 'word'. In other words, it takes an average person 2 seconds to type the word 'word ' (with a space to account for a following word).

Only matter they can type. Just kind of slow. Yeah? hehehe

"Search and Peck" typing means they stare at the keyboard looking for the letter. It's terribly inefficient, and even people using this strategy can achieve higher than this average. In other words: No, they cannot type.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
"Search and Peck" typing means they stare at the keyboard looking for the letter. It's terribly inefficient, and even people using this strategy can achieve higher than this average. In other words: No, they cannot type.

Average doesn't mean "average for computer literate people" There are still tons of people out there who are using a computer for their first time today. Just now. They are part of that average, and the majority of them are older folks who will never in their life be able to type on a keyboard with the speed and grace that we - those born in the computer generation - can.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
33 is not that bad... I took a test at www.typingtest.com
average in that site is 36

my WPM is 45 (after counting all the correctly typed words)

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
I don't get it... shouldn't this have been easy to do a decade ago?

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
They are part of that average, and the majority of them are older folks who will never in their life be able to type on a keyboard with the speed and grace that we - those born in the computer generation - can.

This is why I love my generation.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
... No one did it?
So i suppose i should just do it?
Just say the obvious joke here?

Okay, this will definitively make a lot of teenagers happy, not having to use their hands anymore.

To stay on topic, this may prove quite useful if it can be built cheaply. I doubt anyone would get them if they were like 2k $ a piece.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Robotic bionic hands woohoo!
Triple maybe quadruple my micro speed(if i have four or five of these hands)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
This is cool I bet it has come a long way too after 11 years!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.