RPG hero level question

Glaivesrit

Reaction score
Well..i'm working on my RPG map, have it 80% done with terrain, and it just hit me, i don't know what to make the hero level cap :eek:

The map is fairly large, 212X212, so it has room to host a high level cap, BUT, how high should it be?

--Pretty much to elaborate,

-I don't want redundancy, as in i want a clear change in creep difficulty; not just a level cap that would have you fight the same crap with a different name (if that makes any sense)

I was originally thinking about 125-150, but i'd like feedback

Thanks

CaptDeath

Reaction score
well its not in the level cap comes a good rpg its
Can i get tomes?
Can i pvp?
Can i show off and pown some creeps?
Like in a rpg i was thinking of when u reach cap u "evolve" then have to reach it again just u have ure weaps and stats
then u evolve 3 diff times each time the model getting better
u can use that idea if u want :)

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
125-150, that sounds a bit much for a map of that size. If you made a couple of maps where the hero could be moved between, then it would had been nessecary with a high level cap.

As I see it you got some choise to make here.
You can either:
1. Have a low level cap and let the players rely on items and skills to do the work.

2. You can have a 100+ level cap and you will need to make a lot of different items to make it even fun to play. That will also take som use of the player skills unless they are something as criticalstike with a %-effect. Or you will have to make the skills with 100/4= 25, say 20 levels each, and that is a lot:eek:

3. Make it in the middle, say 50level cap and have the items and skills matter just as much.

Glaivesrit

Reaction score
thanks for the input, but to elaborate:

it has a pvp arena and a endgame dungeon for the victory condition/better items

(screwed up on the size, 256x256 is actually what it is)

Its a combination of both a "team dungeon" and a "go-off-and-solo" map. Better drops w/ groups, though.

Fluffball

Reaction score
I'd say 200, not too high, but if you use a Save/load system, it will be fun to get up to. Also depends on the exp gain per level...

Agent HUNK

Reaction score
Well, normally RPGs tend to only go to about 100, so if you're trying for the traditional RPG feel, 100's probably your best bet.

But not all RPGs are traditional, and for a map that size, I'd probably say about 150.

Cyberlemons

Reaction score
Like they were saying earlier about the spells. If you want to go high level, like the RPG i'm working on has a 80 level cap (Was thinking of WoW some reason). Then you would need a lot of levels for each spell, but I usually use Triggers to enhance the spells and add/multiply/divide the stats into the equation for the spell, or whatever.
If you do decide to do differant maps, in order to get the Save/Load to work in between I think you would have to duplicate every single item, and hero, but then when you add new Items/Heroes to the map it'll totally through off the code. That isn't a very good option, unless you find/make a Save/Load code that will allow you to move heroes and items in between maps.
The Save/Load will be easier to get if you only use 1 spell level with the equation to change damage.

BlightWarden

Reaction score
My map is 256x256 (i think) and the level cap is less than 50.;) Its all about game pacing. Plus Having a higher cap than I already have would go against the theme of my map.

I'm not a big fan of save/load games because the new players are always left in the dust. I like RPG's that can be beat in a single gaming sesson. As for my map, its a competitive rpg where players can pvp like in herowars, quest, creep farm and other things.

Game constants has Max hero level and max unit level and also Required Hero XP tables so you can set your own XP requirements. I like to use triggers for my XP rewards instead of the Game constant tables. Although gold rewards are fine with the standard bounty system.

Building abilities for a high level cap is very time consuming, Especially if those abilities are custom jass spells.
Can't wait to play your map!:thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.