Terrain Contest I - Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
I must say I hate the theme. It's really too broad. Normally you would judge a terrain contest based on how well the submission captures the theme, which I think is going to be extremely difficult seeing as you can only terrain events that happen during summer. Or you could just do a giant castle and say it was a summer day. I don't think I explained my issue with the theme too well, maybe somebody else can articulate it better.

I think this post has alot of relevance to that WIP.

Just a random castle, i look at it and i think "castle" not "summer"
If it wasn't for the contest it was submitted in, i never would have known what it was about.

I don't know if anyone would agree, but i think the idea is that when you look at it, the first thing in your mind should be "summer"

Sure it's a pretty castle, but when it comes down to it, i wouldn't vote for it.

@The Author, im not trying to discredit your work, it's amazing, and im sure it took alot of time and thought, but i think maybe you should spend less time following 2-P around the cookie cutter sheet and experiment with a new concept. :D

Good Luck Everybody!

NaPzt3R

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'm glad you added a link to Wikipedia, otherwise I wouldn't know what summer was. ;)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry about the theme. I thought it'd be good. Then again, I don't terrain much. :p
The comments are appreciated, and I'll take them into consideration for the next Terraining Contest. :)

But for now, just make 'em summer terrains. ;)

> is tropical "included" in summer?
Yes

Nivius

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Really? I personally think that is a shame, it dis-encourages creativity and thinking out of the box. Maybe limit the amount of imports?

Anyway, I will give it a shot. :D

idd

next contest... why not make it basic only, whit no imports or so. see how good people really are when it comes to the actual building instead of choosing good models/skins.

also first pic u goten to me seems fairly ok, for me it dont feels that summerish tho

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> why not make it basic only, whit no imports or so. ...
The past 3 or so terraining contests have done that. :p

> also first pic u goten to me seems fairly ok, for me it dont feels that summerish tho
You can say that when voting time comes.

Anyway, the creator of that WIP has taken your comments on board, and has improved.
(You should all do the same, really)

WIP #2
Click!

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
I still think those trees are very ugly.
And as previously mentioned;
It's a really good terrain, just not summer.

It looks a lot better with the river though (I said to do that :) ) .
That angle is,,weird to.
Maybe try a different one (Or does it have to be at that angle Romek?) .

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Romek didn't say it had to be a specific angle so no, that isn't the angle we need to have. The artist ust chose that angle.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yet another WIP.

WIP #3:
Click

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Reminds me of England...
Is that good or bad? :D

WIP #4:
Click!

No offence guys, but this one seriously blows the others out of the water. You've got some serious competition here. :p

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Wip 2 is better, though it doesn't quite fit the theme. Wip 4... lol. So simple, yet soo effective :d

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
WIP #4 seems awfully familiar... :p I think I know the author.

And, FINALLY, someone else hosting a terraining system. I'm in, as soon as I reinstall WCIII I'll terrain my entry :D.

EDIT: and I have an awesome idea. Glad you allowed imports. Summer, here I come!

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.