The Collaborative Map Making Project

N

NEDM

begone77 said:
there are resons to not have evil player controled gameplay, now that I look at it though, haveing a good village and an evil village might solve both our disagreements

You're missing the point completely here, my friend :). (as it looks now) It's not supposed to be an evil village and a good village, the evil forces are supposed to be huge and exotic, ranging from little imps and trolls to gigantic demons and beasts. We have to focus more on the role-playing output of the game - the players are supposed to face "impossible odds", but they overcome, they move out one level at a time, complete quests, achieve items and get deeper into the main quest - what's going on. That is an unique map in WcIII! :D:D:D (And, you know, i hate expressing myself like this, you know, but we can't move back in discussion, so newer members have to read through, or in this case, get told what it's looking like so far. By writing this here i do not in any way target Begone77 as a newer member. Thank you all :):p :rolleyes: !!!

lllidan

Reaction score
i say we start laying down the foundation of the map (just the terrain). NEDM yours was good and all, but just way too small. Me and the other guy were thinking epic sized. i'd be happy to start laying down some terrain foundation and then i can pass it to others to edit.

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
this you mean? we would not have to make seperate maps, i dont know what gave you that idea. The idea is to make it fun to be the evil guy. I could simply alos have a tigger where the two fastest people to type a chat message will become the evil guys, otherwise it will be random. If someone chooses the gameplay with two evil players, than that means that someone wants to play as evil. besides b4 the game starts im sure the host will ask/decide on gameplay and who does what. Please stop bringing up stupid points.

It's not settled if there will even be an evil guy to play, so ease up on the point making ;) :eek: :) :shades:

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
If a save script is necesary than we will add it. here are already pre-made save codes that are easy to add.

But, friends! Youre supposed to be lvl 1 when you start this game - the characters you meet on lvl 25 are 100000 times stronger that the ones on lvl 1,2,3 or w/e. You know. It would be very much work and, whatsoever, it would unbalance the game horrificly much! :( :p :rolleyes: :)

lllidan

Reaction score
this is just an idea:

should we add a black mask to the map to make players more isolated and unknowing of what cities/quests lie around them? So it really is like a new empire exploring and conquering?

But, friends! Youre supposed to be lvl 1 when you start this game - the characters you meet on lvl 25 are 100000 times stronger that the ones on lvl 1,2,3 or w/e. You know. It would be very much work and, whatsoever, it would unbalance the game horrificly much!

you knwo how a save systme works right?: all the players that are there at the save have to be there at the resume, so there'd be no unbalanced heroes :)

It would be very much work

it would be no work at all! :) as i said there are pre made ones that all you have to do is copy and paste so to speak.

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
this is not your decision. I dont know why you think everything is up to you, youve only just now come in. We will probably have a poll on this (though I dont know why we'd unprotect it)

Good point, illidan - it's not his decision, it's our decision. We'll see, hopefull we'll poll it :D. Personally i think we should protect it - i mean, in the discussion already made (wich is 1% of total? ;)) we've found about 100 elements wich would unbalance the game, and all of those seemed appealing to beginners, meaning that this map would be edited, surely. And if you reallyREALLY want to edit it for whatever reason, they've earned it by taking the time to deprotect. :rolleyes:

Z

Zero R.

Yes, we should start laying down the foundations.

Epic size is good, but one must be able to fill it all up with everything.

As for the evil guy thing, As I said in another topic, make them all neutral at first. Then, you could go to the good side or the bad side, or you could stay neutral forever. Your choice which to make. This would have the advantage of items only you, and others on the same side could use. As this could prevent leeching off your friends for unique items.

Black mask is good, because disablig fog of war would just suck.

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
My opinion on this: if they want to learn they can come to thehelper and ask questions. If they want to copy and not learn anything than they can open the map. It folows the same principle as the "give a man to fish feed him for a day, teach a man to fish feed him for a lifetime" bible thing.

Very good point, +rep! :rolleyes:

lllidan

Reaction score
exactly.
so about my other post:

i say we start laying down the foundation of the map (just the terrain). NEDM yours was good and all, but just way too small. Me and the other guy were thinking epic sized. i'd be happy to start laying down some terrain foundation and then i can pass it to others to edit.

shall I?

thx for rep i have a pretty clear idea on how to fill it up of course evryone will add their own personla touches to it.

N

NEDM

Maddog117 said:
and what does the helper do for new map makers?

I am amazed you ask about this :confused: :eek: . Isn't that pretty obvious, it's a place for learning, discussing, commenting, contributing and creating. This project is dedicated to TheHelper, so if you don't like TheHelper, you're sadly in the wrong project... :confused: :shades:

Z

Zero R.

Uprotection? No.

If someone would like to learn, they would come here. Uprotecting the map for the sake of open resource is just bad, as this would foster n00bs copying maps.

Do you want to see your map so copied, you don't know which is the real copy? I mean, that would be like Footman Wars. I could say I created Footman Wars, and someone might believe me. Too risky.

N

NEDM

Maddog117 said:
all i know is im new to map making and am tring to see how people do things while getting as much experiance as i can

You may NOT double post, or as in this section, triple post with mere comments! You have to be helping someone our quoting/commenting.

N

NEDM

Amfidamant said:
...Well these are just my ideas.
Oh, and NEDM is really up to something! Hes trying to bee so sweet cat, the he will take us down while we sleep together with him (not litterally)! :p

Haha, chapstick make kitty happy! No, but really, thanks. I like your idea as well :D But as i've been saying, When responding is done i'll structure this.

lllidan

Reaction score
Are you sure you dont want me to lay a foundation and then ppl can see if they like it?

One more thing the tieset will be custom of course but will the cliff set be Dalaran?

lllidan

Reaction score
Remeber- if i make the foundation ill leave the internal of the cities empty because it will be filled with buildings built by worker units. Ill make a nice little city wall with nice doodads on the inside Y'know all that good stuff.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.