The Collaborative Map Making Project

N

NEDM

Amfidamant said:
Well we can choose while that furiosu cat is not online ^^. And illidian, did you just Quadriple-post?

Haha :) never fear, NEDM is here!

And you can double post as much as you like when you are answering questions, commenting and such - but you must quote or else it's spam!

Be responsible. ;) :)

lllidan

Reaction score
Damn it NEDM will you answer my friggin question lol?

Should i make a foundation or not?

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
i say we start laying down the foundation of the map (just the terrain). NEDM yours was good and all, but just way too small. Me and the other guy were thinking epic sized. i'd be happy to start laying down some terrain foundation and then i can pass it to others to edit.

On my first draft i suggested epic size and have held on to it ever since (page three or four) :p :D ;)

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
this is just an idea:

should we add a black mask to the map to make players more isolated and unknowing of what cities/quests lie around them? So it really is like a new empire exploring and conquering?

you knwo how a save systme works right?: all the players that are there at the save have to be there at the resume, so there'd be no unbalanced heroes :)

it would be no work at all! :) as i said there are pre made ones that all you have to do is copy and paste so to speak.

You're right. I am convinced and in favor of save systems hereby! :D

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
Damn it NEDM will you answer my friggin question lol?

Should i make a foundation or not?

Make a foundation if you want to - it's great! But there is no guarantee that it'll be used: :) :D :rolleyes: :shades:

N

NEDM

EVEYONE - PAUSE YOUR POSTING! I WILL SET UP BASIC GUIDELINES FOR POSTING HERE TO PREVENT HAVING TO READ AND RESPOND TO 5 PAGES EACH MORNING - IT'S A FEAST OF UNNESCESSARY POSTS!!!!!

Thank you all, where would i be without you guys <3 :) :shades: :rolleyes: :D ;) ?

lllidan

Reaction score
and the initial tileset will be?

i say we start with cityscape, add outland for wilderness, and add some snow/dark rock for the northern parts. Any objections/additions?

Z

Zero R.

lllidan said:
and the initial tileset will be?

i say we start with cityscape, add outland for wilderness, and add some snow/dark rock for the northern parts. Any objections/additions?

Cityscape, with some Village, and Barrens. Maybe some Northrend for the uh... northlands.

N

NEDM

I have been forced to to maths insead of continuing my posting feast on the forum, please go on posting as never before! I will structure this later today instead. Thank you!

Yours truly, NEDM <3 :)

Edit: I've been able to buy some time, by convincing my mom it's for everyone's best that she goes to the quicky-mart to get some, uh, bread :rolleyes: . Anything for this project, huh? :) Allright, since the never-seen enthusiasm of this project is starting to overwhelm among others, me, i've decided that it's the best to make some simple guidelines for the post structuring here, since we may otherwise be accused of spamming - and noone should disagree to this idea since all it does is prevent 30 posts to answer 30 things since the important thing is not post count but getting your thoughts and ideas out. All of this to prevent spamming - Wonderful :D !

1. Make long posts as much as you can!
2. Edit your posts to add new stuff if the post is a short one, in order to form one long post. Example:
You have three posts in a row, containing a few sentances of text. Since you can't delete posts, keep in mind that you can always edit your posts, and do so! Next time, you can make one long instead - everyone's happier ;):D!
3. Do not comment out in "empty air", quote what you're commenting (unless it's a real long post, then you could cut it down enough for ppl to understand wich post you're talking about.
4. Take the time to write in good english - don't write it at 1000mph but instead spend a few secounds on the grammatical correctness of your text.

Thanks to everyone, we are the beating heart of this project! :p :D :)

N

NEDM

> Originally Posted by NEDM

CONS

-The game looses it's campaign/roleplay-like atmosphere and evolves to something more like a hero war of some type, rendering mayor parts of quests and the campaign unusable.
-If one (or both) of the players controlling the evil forces leave the game, it's ruined.
-There is a gigantic risk of exploiting the map because of the dark players being able to attack with all their might when the good team is lvl 1 or such

I will not post my personal opinion here, since it is a poll. Be responsible, mature and consider everything before voting <

Doomhammer's comment;

> -If one (or both) of the players controlling the evil forces leave the game, it's taken over by the 'usual' triggered script, which will attack with less intelligence, but with more force.
- I can't see the point of your second argument. With hindsight to what we have arranged for the players of the good, the players of the evil will start at a proportionally low level. Instead of the mighty uber demon, you'll begin the game as a corrupted magician, who knows how to mind-control animals. So you have to roam through the forest and continually find Furbolgs, Spiders, Zatyrs and corrupt them. They'll be on your side and ready to launch attacks. The more villagers you kill, the more gold you own. At some point it will be one of your main quests to seek the graveyard in town and raise the dead. They are now your pliable, basic working force you can use to summon demon buildings and create a building site more advanced to your former spider caves and furbolg huts. The more villagers you kill, the more buildings you own, the more money you get. Our evil magician gains all his knowledge of an altar on that eery looking hill inmidst those magic runes. You can build your evil camp wherever you want, but in order to do some researches necessary to upgrade your buildings and your magic skills, you must return to this very place. Of course there must be further limits to restrict your force, like zones you cannot move into for some magic shield has been placed by the good (one of their quests), or other magics that weaken your powers when you move in too close... just to give you the idea that the masters of the evil won't be able to attack with 200 uber-demonlords followed by 100 Infernals after 10 seconds or so. I think the evil part can be done in a very interesting way, and I would personally strive to make it even more thrilling than the goodies campaign.

All in all I find your poll is useful, but the arguments set up to vote about have been portrayed in a distorted way. <

Thanks for the feedback doomhammer, i've revised the cons/pros slightly to be more accurate. This should not proove a catastrophy though since before voting you're supposed to have read through the posts, wich contain this information to the fullest :):D! Thanks for revise thoug :shades: :D :) !!!

N

NEDM

Crap, my internet wire popped out again :(!

What a bad example of me, i am eternally sorry for this minor inconvenience :mad: :banghead: .

...however, this space may as well be used by me now, since i, the dumba** that i am , managed to, 30 secounds after pleading to people not to double post, double post. The shame! :S

Anyhow, i will fill this space with the progress of the game in a little while, since my mom is back from the store. Over and out! :D

lllidan

Reaction score
Okay making a foundation that might not even be the foundation of the map is totally unpractical. So what I did was made a sketch of how the map could look on paint, color coded and all. However the file limit is 500 kb and this is 3 mb. Anyone know where I can post this, and then I could post the link here?

right now im going to sleep finally. ill be on later to see if anyone answered the post.

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
Okay making a foundation that might not even be the foundation of the map is totally unpractical. So what I did was made a sketch of how the map could look on paint, color coded and all. However the file limit is 500 kb and this is 3 mb. Anyone know where I can post this, and then I could post the link here?

right now im going to sleep finally. ill be on later to see if anyone answered the post.

Add it on http://www.rapidshare.de - a 50 meg limit :D

Reaction score
Well in case you will need a terrainer- just ask me ^^. But How come this project is not going anywhere? I mean, there are 15 pages of arguments what should be made and what should not, but that is all. I thin kthe way the map should work should be something like this:

1. Write a list who will be who - I mean starting from terrainers and finnishing with triggerers etc
2.Send the map in a chain until some point. Like someone finishes terraining, someoen takes care of units etc.
3. As it is open, at some point, post map to anyone who wants to edit it. If edit is Succesfull, implent the things person has Changed.

We need some kind of Co-operation, you know ^^

lllidan

Reaction score
http://rapidshare.de/files/20929294/Empire.bmp.html - Here it is. Here's what your looking at:

Code:
[COLOR=Cyan]Cyan[/COLOR]= Water
[COLOR=Yellow]Light yellow[/COLOR]= island/beach
[COLOR=Lime]Green[/COLOR]= Calmlands (grass landscape with few trees and creeps)
[COLOR=Green]Dark Green[/COLOR]= Grass Lancscape crowded with trees and creeps, very hard to navigate through.
[COLOR=DimGray]Gray[/COLOR]= Kobold Tunnel
[COLOR=DarkOrange]Dark Orange[/COLOR]- Outland dirt (the wilderness)
[COLOR=Sienna]Brown[/COLOR]= Outland plateaus or mountains
[COLOR=MediumTurquoise]White and Blue [/COLOR] = Northrend Snow
Black  Square = Creep camp/village (not proportional)
[COLOR=Red]Red Square[/COLOR]= Team 1's Cities (in a 6v6)
[COLOR=Blue]Blue Square[/COLOR]= Team 2's Cities (in a 6v6)
[COLOR=SlateGray]Gray Squares[/COLOR]= Two evil kingdoms (when playing 2v10)
[COLOR=Magenta]Magenta Region[/COLOR]= Bastion (final bosses)

So what do you all think?

lllidan

Reaction score
Well in case you will need a terrainer- just ask me ^^. But How come this project is not going anywhere? I mean, there are 15 pages of arguments what should be made and what should not, but that is all. I thin kthe way the map should work should be something like this:

1. Write a list who will be who - I mean starting from terrainers and finnishing with triggerers etc
2.Send the map in a chain until some point. Like someone finishes terraining, someoen takes care of units etc.
3. As it is open, at some point, post map to anyone who wants to edit it. If edit is Succesfull, implent the things person has Changed.

We need some kind of Co-operation, you know ^^

One step at a time man, before we make the map we have to decide on what it is exactly. Once that time comes we can make a new thread of the actual map develpment. I already made a rough sketch of the terrain how I think it could look.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.