The Collaborative Map Making Project

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Amfidamant said:
As far as I could find out - It is going to be soemthing like a village defence and conquer other villages map. Basically, its almost not moving :p

Ah yes? Good to know.
And, you found this out by reading this thread?
Congratulations.
I've been trying to read it too, but, uhm, well, this would be one of the less obvious threads we have here... :p

Reaction score
AceHart said:
Ah yes? Good to know.
And, you found this out by reading this thread?
Congratulations.
I've been trying to read it too, but, uhm, well, this would be one of the less obvious threads we have here... :p

Well its not hard to read at all. Just skip all the quadriple posts and you will see how people keep arguing about the way the map should look. In paint. :rolleyes: ^^

Z

Zero R.

Amfidamant said:
erm.. zero try reading one or two pages back :p . someone said it wont be same or something like that.

Who the hell would read two pages back!?

When were you born, man? Some radical age? the 50's? 2006 isn't meant for reading 'two pages back'. :p

Z

Zero R.

begone77 said:
lets make our own story

if we are,then why are we using the Warcraft locations?

Set it to years before the any events transpired.

B

begone77

Zero R. said:
if we are,then why are we using the Warcraft locations?

Set it to years before the any events transpired.

lol I did not even know we were useing warcraft locations, see thats why I asked what do we have so far, I think we should stray away from warcraft, and do something in our own terms

lllidan

Reaction score
different story of course (who the hell would want to play a map based off wc3 when they have it?) but i say screw my first post here:

lllidan said:
http://rapidshare.de/files/20929294/Empire.bmp.html - Here it is. Here's what your looking at:

Code:
[COLOR=Cyan]Cyan[/COLOR]= Water
[COLOR=Yellow]Light yellow[/COLOR]= island/beach
[COLOR=Lime]Green[/COLOR]= Calmlands (grass landscape with few trees and creeps)
[COLOR=Green]Dark Green[/COLOR]= Grass Lancscape crowded with trees and creeps, very hard to navigate through.
[COLOR=DimGray]Gray[/COLOR]= Kobold Tunnel
[COLOR=DarkOrange]Dark Orange[/COLOR]- Outland dirt (the wilderness)
[COLOR=Sienna]Brown[/COLOR]= Outland plateaus or mountains
[COLOR=MediumTurquoise]White and Blue [/COLOR] = Northrend Snow
Black  Square = Creep camp/village (not proportional)
[COLOR=Red]Red Square[/COLOR]= Team 1's Cities (in a 6v6)
[COLOR=Blue]Blue Square[/COLOR]= Team 2's Cities (in a 6v6)
[COLOR=SlateGray]Gray Squares[/COLOR]= Two evil kingdoms (when playing 2v10)
[COLOR=Magenta]Magenta Region[/COLOR]= Bastion (final bosses)

So what do you all think?

Read the next one about using the continents.

That way some people could:
EXAMPLE
-start off in Kalimdor using Black Citadel tiles
-start building their empire
-start a business
-advance that business
-increase population
-explore around to find secrets and gold
-expand empire (lets say from village to kingdom/castle
-once the empire is bigger they can start exploring farther and going through dungeons or creep bases
-head far north and either ally/destroy other player owned bases
-sail across the water (w/ ally or not) to the neighboring continents (or Maelstrom)
-explore/destroy other kingdoms
-do quests
-etc.

As we agreed on earlier a save script will be used (cause this will take a really long time to "win")

Also I say another game type mode is not FFA, 6v6, or 2v10 but instead it starts as FFA then you can ally who you like by typing text. That way one might dominate by allying all, unally one and destroy, unally another and destroy, repeat unitl victory. Either way in the end allies will have to fight.

EDIT we should also have have it so you can train units in squads and can upgrade the different squads you can have. Same goes for towers which are obviously the opposite of the units in that they are used to defend not attack

N

NEDM

Friends, friends - Let me take a few minutes of your time to tell the tale of this project - start to end;

I lost the password to my first account, Eggobert. I didn't use it very much, and as time went by, i naturally forgot it. My thirst for an organized effort with like-minded grew stronger each day, willing to make a map greater than any seen in a long time. I grew increasingly tired of sitting alone, making relatively minor RPG's and defense maps, dreaming off to a world where my idea would work. I then found a bookmark in the back of my hard drive, deep within a file wich hadn't been opened in months. It led me to TheHelper.Net.

Almost chocked with the content i found, i dug deeper into this site of wonders, reading one thread after the other, recognizing many issues and remembering that they had broken my morals in many earlier map projects. I was amazed. The first tutorial i ever read, and the only one i remember, is one made by AceHart, wich explains my...seemingly unexplained kindness and deep respect to him(/her). It was about choosing your hero using circles of power and regions, i think. Another element of this forum was the unbeliavable kindness and understanding i met - on litterally all earlier forums i'd been on, modding forums, music forums, hl-hl2 forums, humor site forums and so on, everyone flamed each other and wrote nothing but profanity and sexually oriented words, still repulsing me with it's patheticness.

The cat of great enthusiasm, understanding and good-will that i am, i sat down one windy evening not to long ago, writing down using paper and pencil (for once) what i wanted to include if when i released my idea into the current of ideas on TheHelper.Net. Not expecting anyhing especial, i simply "went head on" with the subject of collaboration, and sat down, waiting for some kind of response. In the methaforical current of ideas, a fisherman had caught my idea, and decided to cook it, rather than throw it back into the current. This fisherman was named MrApples, and i owe him a great deal to this day for even responding. The thread kept growing like a tornado a rainy spring day. I could never have imagined something like this! I had litterally a hard time writing, since my hands did not obey me. They were shaking, they couldn't wait, just like a starved dog on a leash, with a big jucy steak in front of it wich it juust couldn't reach, praying to whoever is upstairs that the owner would let the leash go, letting him feast on it. Ideas started to flow into this side-river of the main current. AgentPaper wasn't late to contribute one of the first, officially used ideas. Everything that has been said so far is basically based on his post, and i thank him eternally.

The wildest discussion seen in a century then erupted here, sadly, while i was sleeping tight in my cat box. I woke the other day, to see the thread having moved from 4-5 pages to astounding 14-15 pages. I read and read and answered and answered, all but remembering the golden rule of double posting. My mom had yelled herself into madness about me starting on my math homework, but i evaded her attepts of reuiniting me with the real world, locked in place and completely spellbound by the litteral explosion of suggestions, comments and such. With sweat running from my furry forhead, i finally managed to answer the posts faster than new ones came - phew.

I then, to my great sorrow, noticed that i had double posted like no cat had in a century. My reputation got lowered, and this produced a bad image of me - but i brought it on myself, and i am not sorry, but relieved that i have learned, even though the hard way, not to double post - never to repeat it again. Discussion went on, and more and more started joining - now, in the writing moment, ranging to 13 official participants. Another good friend of mine, CorvusHaunt, supported me immensly in the beginning of this project, even though not active the latest 24 hours. I thank him very much for that. A poll was also added, concerning computer and/or human players controlling the hordes of evil. My internet wire is a bit broken and, sadly, popped out for about a secound when the thread was created. I thought it falied and created it once more, thinking that the first one never came into existance. It did. So now not only having double posted, i double threaded. This surely is the end of me here at TheHelper.Net i thought, and i felt that i was "walking the green mile".

Voting took place in the real one, and discussion went on. The posting went on, some very close or litterally breaking the forum rules. Me, who wish nothing but make everyone as happy as possible - including the good and noble administrators and moderators here at TheHelper.Net - took the initiative to make more members think twice about their posting. I set up a few simple guidelines, wich are followed to this day. Thank you all. Just a few hours ago, we started to slowly but surely assign tasks to project members, soon beginning to actually map the map.

But i still sense an undertone of doubt and hecitation amongst some participants. Do not worry, our golden project is progressing finer than ever. Thank you once more, for bringing your thoughts here. That summarizes this project of belief and social development so far, and i wish for nothing but the continued collaboration of all members here at TheHelper.Net. I thank all of you, one last time in this post, for taking the time to read about a small, unimportant cat's dream to change the world of mapping in warcraft 3. I will now be going, as the math still await me. But i will be back, and soon this adventure truly will begin.

Sincerily,
Your friend and supporter
NEDM

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I tried hard to read that, but you haven't spaced it out AT ALL.. Please use paragraphs or something to make it easier to read for people like me :).

managed to read a bit of it.. You're NOT a cat.. homework ISN'T scary.. the world WASN'T going to end if you did yer homework =P

~Jindo

N

NEDM

Jindo said:
You're NOT a cat..

And you base that on..? ;)

Jindo said:
homework ISN'T scary..

Never said that, and i agree, it isn't.

Jindo said:
the world WASN'T going to end if you did yer homework =P

No, but it was going to for me if i didn't post here, indirectly making my the world end if i did my homework. Or something. :rolleyes: :)

~Jindo[/QUOTE]

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
lol, you're messin with me >.<.

I base the fact that you're not a cat on:

~The fact that you say you are a cat.
~The fact that cats can't write or read.
~The fact that cats don't go to school meaning that they can't get homework :p.

---

kk, but you could've done it first anyway :p.

---

I did not understand that one bit :p.

~Jindo

N

NEDM

Jindo said:
I base the fact that you're not a cat on:

~The fact that you say you are a cat.
~The fact that cats can't write or read.
~The fact that cats don't go to school meaning that they can't get homework :p.

1.The mammal brain is all but that limited, and cats have a well developed way of communicating, complete with the ability to read other individuals and a great sense of social behaviour.
2. Oh but they can - cats, horses and parrots, among others, have in special cases been able to write and equal feats. I also have a video file to proove the ability for a cat to speak english in the physical world. And, since i am currently writing this, you may consider this a "special case":
3. There are training facilities for generally any type of pet animal you can find, especially for cats and dogs, since they are most popular. I even saw a documentary on the subject on animal planet.

Video with real-life talking cats;
http://rapidshare.de/files/21018892/Cat_Talk.wmv.html

kk, but you could've done it first anyway :p.

I'm sorry, i don't quite understand you.

I did not understand that one bit :p.

Read it again slowly - it's like a script. It always makes sense in the end. (Exept for perhaps an Assembler script :rolleyes: )

Edit: And just by the way, the map i was working on earlier http://rapidshare.de/files/21018961/Rouge_defenders.w3x.html
Have fun! :)

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
you've got me :confused:.. I've officially been outsmarted by a stranger... who thinks he/she's a CAT! :eek:.

I'm gonna leave this thread now, hopefully it will get back on topic.. :cool:.

~Jindo

Mullit

Reaction score
i havent really been following this thread but i cant be bothered to go through and read all of it so can i please have a general overview of exactly whats happening/happened. i may be able to help with the map.

N

NEDM

Mullit said:
i havent really been following this thread but i cant be bothered to go through and read all of it so can i please have a general overview of exactly whats happening/happened. i may be able to help with the map.

Read my above long post, and i'll fill you in with the details later :).

lllidan

Reaction score
haha

that doesnt rlly explain much. its all about how u think ur a cat and wont do ur math. lay off them rocks.

EDIT

In order to get this map moving we need to setlle once and for all what the world will look like. I am in favor of using the three continents and the islands (as posted earlier). We could simply decide here or have a poll. Once we decid we can assign people different areas/continents. I myself could do Kalimdor, the islands, and a little of Northrend. Well need some great terrainers though, cause we dont want this to look shitty. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.