The Collaborative Map Making Project

N

NEDM

Amfidamant said:
Well in case you will need a terrainer- just ask me ^^. But How come this project is not going anywhere? I mean, there are 15 pages of arguments what should be made and what should not, but that is all. I thin kthe way the map should work should be something like this:

1. Write a list who will be who - I mean starting from terrainers and finnishing with triggerers etc
2.Send the map in a chain until some point. Like someone finishes terraining, someoen takes care of units etc.
3. As it is open, at some point, post map to anyone who wants to edit it. If edit is Succesfull, implent the things person has Changed.

We need some kind of Co-operation, you know ^^

My plan exactly lol, was just going to do that :)

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
http://rapidshare.de/files/20929294/Empire.bmp.html - Here it is. Here's what your looking at:

Code:
[COLOR=Cyan]Cyan[/COLOR]= Water
[COLOR=Yellow]Light yellow[/COLOR]= island/beach
[COLOR=Lime]Green[/COLOR]= Calmlands (grass landscape with few trees and creeps)
[COLOR=Green]Dark Green[/COLOR]= Grass Lancscape crowded with trees and creeps, very hard to navigate through.
[COLOR=DimGray]Gray[/COLOR]= Kobold Tunnel
[COLOR=DarkOrange]Dark Orange[/COLOR]- Outland dirt (the wilderness)
[COLOR=Sienna]Brown[/COLOR]= Outland plateaus or mountains
[COLOR=MediumTurquoise]White and Blue [/COLOR] = Northrend Snow
Black  Square = Creep camp/village (not proportional)
[COLOR=Red]Red Square[/COLOR]= Team 1's Cities (in a 6v6)
[COLOR=Blue]Blue Square[/COLOR]= Team 2's Cities (in a 6v6)
[COLOR=SlateGray]Gray Squares[/COLOR]= Two evil kingdoms (when playing 2v10)
[COLOR=Magenta]Magenta Region[/COLOR]= Bastion (final bosses)

So what do you all think?

Nice, very nice :). Just one thing;
A very good plan for getting the terrain original is by letting each and everyone who is interested in terraining make a little part by themselves. Letting one person make all the terrain is bound to fail, i'd say. But still, cool picture ;):D liked the islands the most, i think.

And by the way, remember to vote AceHart and Amfidant, remeber to vote at http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29642 !

lllidan

Reaction score
i couldnt agree with you more. this needs to be a team effort, i was merely just suggesting some ideas. another thought tthat came over me was to seperate each terrain into the different continents of WC: Northrend (snowy area and bastion), Kalimdor (Outland area), Azeroth (the green areas, and the MAelstrom (the islands). That way it would make more sense than just going from desert to blizzard lol.

N

NEDM

Amfidamant said:
Well in case you will need a terrainer- just ask me ^^.

Could you do some terraining for us, amfidamant?

But How come this project is not going anywhere? I mean, there are 15 pages of arguments what should be made and what should not, but that is all. I thin kthe way the map should work should be something like this:

1. Write a list who will be who - I mean starting from terrainers and finnishing with triggerers etc
2.Send the map in a chain until some point. Like someone finishes terraining, someoen takes care of units etc.
3. As it is open, at some point, post map to anyone who wants to edit it. If edit is Succesfull, implent the things person has Changed.

We need some kind of Co-operation, you know ^^

I'll start working on that now - The actual organization of the project, as it will in time grow from sentace to essay in size, can be seen on the bottom of the first post ! Thank you all, and i'd like to ask all project members to inform drop-in ppl who wish to join, or more importantly suggest stuff, that they can see if their suggestion has already been decided about - this and much more is all to be found in the first post - thank you! :D

lllidan

Reaction score
why not just use two active threads: one for planning/discussion/voting and the other for the actual decided map elements?

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
why not just use two active threads: one for planning/discussion/voting and the other for the actual decided map elements?

Instead of more threading, wich is unecessary, we'll sort it out like this;
Official progress is listed in the first post, wich is updated daily, by me. The discussion takes place in the rest of the thread. Ta-daa ;):D:D:D Tell me wich position you want and you'll get it, but just keep in mind that you and all other members are being counted on to spend atleast some time and energy on your "role" (wich i know you will :):D).

In a few hours (it's 17.23 for me now, when it's like 20-21) when people are logging in, we can start;
A)discussing
B)scetching on
C)making drafts of
the actual map! :D this is going to be great fun, especially if people follow the posting guidelines, naturally the forum rules and, also, vote! :D

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
I can imagine my part being in the 4 following fields:

1. scripting
2. unit balancing
3. criticizing others' undo's
4. make the evil very evil ;)

I'm pretty good in 1. and 2. You'll soon have a sample of my skills when my personal mass battle project (Zone Control Evolutions) is released, which I've been working for since the very moment coming to thehelpers.

My personal point on maddog's suggestion to have a 6 vs 6 is that it ends up with a typical 1 on 1. Before starting the game you have to make sure it's already balanced playerwise. The main consensus here was to have the game be the adventure of the goodies. To play the badies as human or not is a mere option. So you could still have a 7 vs 0 and have nobody forced to play good or evil even though he wants to play the opposite.

The next issue I don't quite get is the Amfimadant's argument speaking against 10 vs 2. There are 12 player slots, plus one neutral hostile plus one neutral passive = 12 players + 2 neutrals. Make villagers neutral passive, and random forest creeps neutral
hostile, and it adds up nicely.

Your map layout shall be approved, Illidan. Yet I'd slightly cut on complexity.

lllidan

Reaction score
thx man

but an alternate suggestion i thought of for the map could be:
another thought tthat came over me was to seperate each terrain into the different continents of WC: Northrend (snowy area and bastion), Kalimdor (Outland area), Azeroth (the green areas), and the MAelstrom (the islands). That way it would make more sense than just going from desert to blizzard lol.

MrApples

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
You gotta stop with the double posting NEDM, looks like you already have a neg rep from it. Use EDIT.

N

NEDM

lllidan said:

thx man

but an alternate suggestion i thought of for the map could be:

another thought tthat came over me was to seperate each terrain into the different continents of WC: Northrend (snowy area and bastion), Kalimdor (Outland area), Azeroth (the green areas), and the MAelstrom (the islands). That way it would make more sense than just going from desert to blizzard lol.

The idea of the mountains and other geographical elements seperating the different tilsets is a great idea! :D But the map won't be played in Azeroth? Or will it be played in an alternate universe? Let's "find out" through discussion ;)
I personally favor an alternate universe :D You?

Edit:
You gotta stop with the double posting NEDM, looks like you already have a neg rep from it. Use EDIT.

I try to as much as i can, and i also posted a few "Posting guidelines" wich suggests editing rather than posting again. Thanks for revise :)

lllidan

Reaction score
When you say alternate universe do you mean connected by portals? cuase if so it'd be kinda hard to trabsfer an army thru it. I say we have the 3 continents seperated by water and the maelstrom in the center where the islands are. That way there are boating hazards too. We could have a few hidden portals in creep dungeons that link to other dungeons in other continents, thatd be a good idea. But basically, im contradicting my first idea, lets make them seperate continents. Way cooler.

il make a new layout (and this time as a jpg)

EDIT instead of making it, ill just submit blizzards.

east is grassy area, norht is snow, west is barrens/dirt, central is sea/isand. simple.

N

NEDM

lllidan said:
When you say alternate universe do you mean connected by portals? cuase if so it'd be kinda hard to trabsfer an army thru it. I say we have the 3 continents seperated by water and the maelstrom in the center where the islands are. That way there are boating hazards too. We could have a few hidden portals in creep dungeons that link to other dungeons in other continents, thatd be a good idea. But basically, im contradicting my first idea, lets make them seperate continents. Way cooler.

il make a new layout (and this time as a jpg)

EDIT instead of making it, ill just submit blizzards.

east is grassy area, norht is snow, west is barrens/dirt, central is sea/isand. simple.

hahaha :) illidan, my friend, i meant that the game story would not be based in the Warcraft (and world of warcraft) universe of Azeroth, but in another universe. An alternate universe is, for example;
The matrix universe
The startwars universe
The Half-life universe
and so on :):D;)

I agree to 100%, you the man!

Edit: Considering nothing...i'm currently sitting and playing with WE, making a map wich prooved pretty fun actually. It's a much better version of our earlier idea, a city defense. Why? Well, since we haven't come far enough to actually start making maps (wich is all but bad :)) i decided that my need for WE needed satisfiction. So, i'll keep tweaking on the map a little, and then, finally, add it to the "members projects" in my first post. :D thanks for taking the time to read ;):D! +cred goes to TheHelper.Net, mentioned in map description and loading screen. <3

Edit again: Map is nearly finished, got some nice screenshots, i'll post them tomorrow - if you find anything useful in the map (wich i'll post tomorrow), then feel free to take it, adding a little credit to me would be nice in that case =) It really felt good working on this map, now that I'm (we're? :)) so thrilled about this project - i now know that if i can put this much energy into a in theory useless map, then imagine my efforts on "the big one" =)!

B

begone77

oh god, this jumped from like 10 pages to 16, Can you post a list of current outlined suggested things? or something?

B

begone77

Amfidamant said:
As far as I could find out - It is going to be soemthing like a village defence and conquer other villages map. Basically, its almost not moving :p

well thats what it was when I left lol I just wanted like a list of current ideas, plans.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.